Dallas Clark

artemusclyde

I'd wait it out.  Except for blocking - which he's not known for but after this many years in the league he's bound to be at least adequate - I'm not sure he's an upgrade over Cumberland.  He's old and slow.  

Luke Stocker did less than Cumberland last year and, even with all that cap room and what clearly seems to be a Tannenbaum-esque SB push, Tampa is going with Stocker over Clark and won't even bring him back as a backup.  That may mean nothing other than poor judgment on Tampa's part, but it's out there.

A lot of these guys - Clark, Cribbs, etc. - even if they're not blockbuster signings, if they're not vet minimum contracts and you sign enough of them, they'll still wipe out all of our compensatory picks next year.  I'm for upgrading, even if it's only hold-the-fort type guys for a year.  But I don't want to give up 4 draft picks next year so a transition, from well below average to merely mediocre or a little below average, goes a little more smoothly.  If he was cut that would be one thing, but his contract expired making him a UFA.  Picking up a bunch of them on 1-year deals, especially if they're not likely to get another one after we're done with them, isn't something I'm in favor of.

So I'd wait until it's shown in camp that Cumberland is just incapable of handling the starting duties.  If Clark is still available at that time, see what he wants.  But I doubt he'll want to play for the vet minimum for a rebuilding team who's been the butt of every NFL writer's joke for the past year-plus.

You don't want Titus Young anymore?

Don't get me wrong, I'm still hoping we get Titus Young. He's got potential to be a good wide receiver. But we need a tight end.

I'd wait it out.  Except for blocking - which he's not known for but after this many years in the league he's bound to be at least adequate - I'm not sure he's an upgrade over Cumberland.  He's old and slow.  

Luke Stocker did less than Cumberland last year and, even with all that cap room and what clearly seems to be a Tannenbaum-esque SB push, Tampa is going with Stocker over Clark and won't even bring him back as a backup.  That may mean nothing other than poor judgment on Tampa's part, but it's out there.

A lot of these guys - Clark, Cribbs, etc. - even if they're not blockbuster signings, if they're not vet minimum contracts and you sign enough of them, they'll still wipe out all of our compensatory picks next year.  I'm for upgrading, even if it's only hold-the-fort type guys for a year.  But I don't want to give up 4 draft picks next year so a transition, from well below average to merely mediocre or a little below average, goes a little more smoothly.  If he was cut that would be one thing, but his contract expired making him a UFA.  Picking up a bunch of them on 1-year deals, especially if they're not likely to get another one after we're done with them, isn't something I'm in favor of.

So I'd wait until it's shown in camp that Cumberland is just incapable of handling the starting duties.  If Clark is still available at that time, see what he wants.  But I doubt he'll want to play for the vet minimum for a rebuilding team who's been the butt of every NFL writer's joke for the past year-plus.

Interesting note, I didn't actually know Clark was that bad. I'm pretty sure though he'd play for the veteran's minimum with any team. No one is calling him right now and it's not looking so great for Clark. Come the 2013 season though, I expect him to be signed to some team due to injuries, but right now it's looking like no one wants him.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still hoping we get Titus Young. He's got potential to be a good wide receiver. But we need a tight end.

Interesting note, I didn't actually know Clark was that bad. I'm pretty sure though he'd play for the veteran's minimum with any team. No one is calling him right now and it's not looking so great for Clark. Come the 2013 season though, I expect him to be signed to some team due to injuries, but right now it's looking like no one wants him.

I didn't say he was that bad, only that he isn't what he was and Tampa - who has seen him up close for the past 2 years - decided to go with some guy no one outside Tampa (and East Tennessee State University) has heard of.

You don't want Titus Young anymore?

After reading more about the kid, I learned he's apparently bipolar. If he gets treatment, hopefully he will be forced to get treatment due to his recent actions, I think we should take a look at him. Brandon Marshall also is bipolar and he turned out pretty fine once he got treatment, all in all, I think he's worth the risk.

If the season is going to suck anyway, there's no point in throwing away snaps on veteran stiffs that could be better directed toward young players that need development, like Cumberland and the rugby player.

Ladies and gentlemen, presenting your 2013 Jets: Where preseason never ends. 

Tom Just wants more supplemental picks for the JN mock next year and he's willing to sacrifice our SB to get it

I'm already watching some game tape on a few choice third rounders. I'll release my grades right after I watch Stony Brook v. Albany cut-ups.

Archived