Why is Ozzie Newsome so freaking good at his job?

Lizard King

Any GM can have his record picked apart and reconstructed to prove that he wasn't as good as the results, from Polian to Bill Walsh to Ernie Accorsi to Jerry Reese. Any of them. The far majority of GMs get fired at some point. I just don't see the value in using Newsome's record to somehow retroactively validate Tannenbaum's.

I am not at all validating Tannenbaum's record, nor is that my goal.

I'm just saying that I've read a zillion hypocritical posts here outlining the Jets drafts since Rex was hired (4 drafts) and over that period of time the GM whose team just won the SB is pretty spotty at best.  What's made worse is that Rex is somehow being referred to as some type of co-GM with Tannenbaum when that is not (or should not be) his responsibility.  And in the next breath sucking off Newsome for so many shortcomings as a GM, particularly on offense.  In 14 years the only player he's ever drafted who had a 1000 yard season was Brandon Stokley who was once Peyton Manning's 3rd option (having the benefit of Harrison/Wayne taking the coverage with them) years after Newsome dumped him.

Now what you SHOULD have come back with is that if Tannenbaum's past 4 drafts weren't much worse than Newsome's, then what does that say about Rex as a HC since such mediocre/poor drafting didn't hold Harbaugh back.  I left that big hanging curveball out there for you to whack out of the park, but you just locked up there in the batter's box and took the strike.  Phail.

I will jump in here. The Ravens and Jets both had cap trouble last year, but the difference between the two teams is that the Ravens have a ton of depth and the Jets were a top heavy team built on a house of cards. You mention that there has been no 1,000 yard receiver, however you neglect to mention that Newsome hit a grand slam on Ray Rice. Flacco has a cannon which Sanchez does not, has also proven to be far more reliable in the playoffs like when he had to out shoot Denver. You can say a lot of things about that game but you cannot deny that Flacco outplayed Peyton Manning at home. I have yet to see Sanchez outplay Manning or anyone else for that manner in a crucial game, no, 2010 in Indy does not count, that was defensive- and without Revis I am really interested to see how he steps up because this year he needs to put points on the board. Letting Faneca and Jones go were probably a big mistake for a team built on power running. I take Torrey Smith all day over Stephen Hill. Not seeing how Newsome and Tanny are in the same league.

You seem to think I'm a fan of Tannenbaum's or saying he's somehow on a par with Newsome as a GM.  I have no idea why since it is not true and I don't believe it.

I'm merely pointing out, again, that even the best GMs in the league have years in a row with bad drafts.

You seem to think I'm a fan of Tannenbaum's or saying he's somehow on a par with Newsome as a GM.  I have no idea why since it is not true and I don't believe it.

I'm merely pointing out, again, that even the best GMs in the league have years in a row with bad drafts.

So, what?  You think Tannenbaum shouldn't have been fired then?

Now what you SHOULD have come back with is that if Tannenbaum's past 4 drafts weren't much worse than Newsome's, then what does that say about Rex as a HC since such mediocre/poor drafting didn't hold Harbaugh back.  I left that big hanging curveball out there for you to whack out of the park, but you just locked up there in the batter's box and took the strike.  Phail.

um. in the past five years the Ravens have drafted Ray Rice, Joe Flacco, Michael Oher, Torrey Smith, and Dennis Pitta. We drafted.................

I am not at all validating Tannenbaum's record, nor is that my goal.

I'm just saying that I've read a zillion hypocritical posts here outlining the Jets drafts since Rex was hired (4 drafts) and over that period of time the GM whose team just won the SB is pretty spotty at best. What's made worse is that Rex is somehow being referred to as some type of co-GM with Tannenbaum when that is not (or should not be) his responsibility. And in the next breath sucking off Newsome for so many shortcomings as a GM, particularly on offense. In 14 years the only player he's ever drafted who had a 1000 yard season was Brandon Stokley who was once Peyton Manning's 3rd option (having the benefit of Harrison/Wayne taking the coverage with them) years after Newsome dumped him.

Now what you SHOULD have come back with is that if Tannenbaum's past 4 drafts weren't much worse than Newsome's, then what does that say about Rex as a HC since such mediocre/poor drafting didn't hold Harbaugh back. I left that big hanging curveball out there for you to whack out of the park, but you just locked up there in the batter's box and took the strike. Phail.

:D

I'm no good at takedowns. I prefer the volleys, because I love you people so much.

Stop sucking up to Tannenbaum's corpse. It's gross.

um. in the past five years the Ravens have drafted Ray Rice, Joe Flacco, Michael Oher, Torrey Smith, and Dennis Pitta. We drafted.................

Apples and apples, my dear.  Rex (as HC) is judged on the last 4 years' drafts so I looked at the last 4 years of the Ravens.  A full arsenal of draft picks and barely get 1 starter per draft class.  He is also pretty terrible at finding starters after rounds 3-4.  Been like 6-7 years since he's found even one.

I was showing his faults, not showing how marvelous the Jets' recent drafts had been.  And suddenly Torrey Smith - a solid WR, no doubt - is suddenly getting talked about around here like he's got a pair of 1500 yards seasons under his belt instead of 2 seasons of Jeremy Kerley yardage (with, let's call it "somewhat" better QB play).  Pitta also, despite an advantage in who's throwing the ball, hasn't yet approached an 800+ yard season like Keller (who everyone seemed to be happy is gone).

My point is that it is hypocritical when people act like only the Jets' sh*t stinks.

Rex (as HC) is judged on the last 4 years' drafts so I looked at the last 4 years of the Ravens. 

Torrey Smith - a solid WR, no doubt - is suddenly getting talked about around here like he's got a pair of 1500 yards seasons under his belt instead of 2 seasons of Jeremy Kerley yardage (with, let's call it "somewhat" better QB play).  Pitta also, despite an advantage in who's throwing the ball, hasn't yet approached an 800+ yard season like Keller (who everyone seemed to be happy is gone).

My friend, Smith and Kerley is not apples to apples! Smith doesn't play the slot, and secondly, with Anquon Boldin and Ray Rice on the field, nobody was going to be racking up 1,000 yards receiving in that offense. However, now with Boldin gone, Torrey Smith may get your 1,000 yard season anyway. Then you can feel better.

My point is that it is hypocritical when people act like only the Jets' sh*t stinks.

I really don't care as much about the sh*t in some other kids sandbox. Our drafting hasn't been that awful but even if you're drafting above average and deal 70% of your picks the misses are amplified. Even Revis, our greatest success is gone for a one. We gave up 3 picks to get him in the first place. Tanny's downfall was his awful contracts and free agency. We're saddled with probably the worst LBer contract, the worst QB contract and the worst WR contract in the NFL this year and they're all guaranteed by the supposed cap wizard. The cap and contracts where his only real jobs and he failed miserably at them.

My friend, Smith and Kerley is not apples to apples! Smith doesn't play the slot, and secondly, with Anquon Boldin and Ray Rice on the field, nobody was going to be racking up 1,000 yards receiving in that offense. However, now with Boldin gone, Torrey Smith may get your 1,000 yard season anyway. Then you can feel better.

All the more reason Smith should have a ton more yards than Kerley.  If he was getting under 1000 yards for the Jets he would be criticized for not being of a higher-level receiver.  If it was the Jets' offense that led all receivers to score under 1000 yards then it would be a stupid system that needs to be replaced right after we fire everyone.  If we'd picked up Boldin that also would have been criticized because he's older, is slow, and isn't a "true #1" WR.  Baltimore's offense was decidedly middle-of-the-road in pass attempts and Rice's presence doesn't preclude players from getting 1000 receiving yards any more than it prevents Smith from catching over 50 passes in a season.

I think the Flacco denigration is slightly unwarranted. That Superbowl is not won without his historic playoff performance. They should not have paid him Drew Brees though.

wait they paid him drew brees?? wow that one sounded a lot better in my head.

I really don't care as much about the sh*t in some other kids sandbox. Our drafting hasn't been that awful but even if you're drafting above average and deal 70% of your picks the misses are amplified. Even Revis, our greatest success is gone for a one. We gave up 3 picks to get him in the first place. Tanny's downfall was his awful contracts and free agency. We're saddled with probably the worst LBer contract, the worst QB contact and the worst WR contact in the NFL this year and they're all guaranteed by the supposed cap wizard. The cap and contracts where his only real jobs and he failed miserably at them.

Bingo.  

But just because Tannenbaum did such an awful job in these matters doesn't mean Ozzie Newsome is some genius of a GM.  It means he's smart enough to not idiotically give gobs of guaranteed money to Sanchez and Holmes and pay David Harris like he's a QB.  

We should have let it happen with some more players.  Revis I can't rip Tannenbaum on, even though he handled him badly for the most part.  He drafted the kid, and he exceeded everyone's expectations by an order of magnitude.  But he wants franchise QB money and there's not much anyone can do with that.  Actually his last contract was one of Tannenbaum's better moves as GM here.  Pass rushers? Everyone wants to draft them and the most successful pass rusher Ozzie's drafted in the past 10 drafts (Kruger) is also gone now after finally getting 9 sacks in a season last year.  That stuff happens to every team & at least Idzik got something out of it.

My point in all this is it's tough enough being a Jets fan without finding fault with the Jets for the same things that happen to every team, including the most recent SB winner.

Archived