Edwards due to his stellar play during 2009 and 2010 as the team reached
the AFC Championship Game both years.

While Edwards is serviceable and I wouldn’t object to signing him for
the veteran minimum it is clear his best days are behind him. The other
name linked to the Jets most prominently is Brandon Lloyd, formerly of
the Patriots. The 32-year-old Lloyd hasn’t generated much interest due
to his lack of success outside of New England and the fact he is getting
up there age wise. On June 6 Brian Costello of the New York Post wrote
that the Jets have no interest in signing Lloyd.

An interesting name to watch is Steve Breaston. The
30-year-old receiver has not had less than 700 yards receiving in any
full season he has played and has punt return skills that the Jets need.
Breaston is suffering from a knee injury and although he visited
Pittsburgh and Cleveland earlier in the offseason he is not healthy
enough to sign. His situation bears watching though.

Another player to watch is Jabar Gaffney who had 947 yards receiving
in 2011 before injuries and off the field issues rendered 2012 a wash
for him. Gaffney is 32 which also doesn’t help in generating interest.
Derek Hagan is a player with good size but not a lot of production in
his career. He worked out for the Jets on May 30th and our own Alan
Schechter wrote about his potential with the Jets here.

Other free agent wide receivers include Lee Evans, Deion Branch and
Devery Henderson but I would pass on all three as they are declining
talents whose best years are behind them.

On the tight end side an interesting name got cut today. Former 4th
round pick Evan Rodriguez of the Bears got cut following an offseason
marred by two arrests. He is a good blocker with some athleticism.
Rodriguez also has ties to the area as he hails from the Bronx and he
has Jets ties as he went to Temple University just like Jets DT Mohammed
Wilkerson. If anyone knows if Rodriguez is worth a flyer it would be
Wilkerson. Maybe coming home would be the spark his career needs and
being around family the support he needs personally.

Dallas Clark leads the list of receiving tight ends as he registered
over 400 yards last year with Tampa Bay. Tampa expressed some interest
in bringing him back but the issue could be money. He would be an
upgrade for the Jets but not more than a 1 year stop-gap. The same could
be said for Visanthe Shiancoe who got lost in the Patriots large corp
of tight ends last year. He is a very capable player but is 33 years
old. Chris Cooley is only 30 but his last two years have been terrible.
He was once one of the top tight ends in the game but only had 9
receptions for 72 yards the past two years combined. He wants to keep
playing but no one is beating down his door to give him a chance. Randy
McMichael is 34 and now mostly a blocker. He could be a 1 year
possibility for the Jets. Billy Bajema is a good blocker that would be a
good depth signing for the team as well.

As you can see the pickings are pretty slim right now on the free
agent market the Jets are better off waiting for final cuts to either
make a trade or pick someone up who falls through the cracks.

>   http://thejetpress.com/2013/06/12/new-york-jets-where-can-help-come-from-remaining-free-agents/

At this point, I hope that the Jets aren't signing any FAs, unless Winslow, Sims-Walker or the DL they are giving tryouts to this week really impress.  I'm not sure how much cap space they have left at this point, but as the saying goes, sh*t happens.  The Jets could suffer an injury to a player in TC that they were counting on to start or see significant time as a role player, and they'll need to have some cash available in case of such an emergency.  Hopefully, the team will suffer no injuries, but there will be a number of camp cuts available who can help the team.  In particular, there could be a TE or WR, or possibly even a S who could be better than anyone the team presently has, or who at least has different skills and would be a complimentary player.  Players named in the articles who could possibly help the Jets and whom I'd have some interest in are Celek, Avant, Tate, Roundtree, and Hawkins, but not Britt.  Just because he's from NJ or NY doesn't mean the Jets should sign them.  I'm tired of reading that crap.  Britt has had numerous run-ins with the police and seems to be a bit of a head case as well as low character.  No thanks.  Celek would be a HUGE addition to the Jets, because he would become the instant starter and knows Sir Morty's offense.  Avant would probably be the #1 on the Jets if Holmes is unable to play up to his previous levels, but either Celek or Avant might want more than the Jets could pay.

With regard to Rodriguez, I know nothing about him except what was in the article.  Perhaps coming home would help straighten him out if he does have talent, but I'd want to know why he was arrested.  The Jets have had enough low character types on the team.  They need to return to high character type players.  If his arrests were for any type of violence or drug-related offenses, then I'd definitely have NO interest in signing him.

At any rate, depending upon what happens with the tryouts this week, unless an injury occurs or they get bad news regarding Holmes rehab, I think they should wait until camp cuts occur to add anyone else.

At this point, I hope that the Jets aren't signing any FAs, unless Winslow, Sims-Walker or the DL they are giving tryouts to this week really impress.  I'm not sure how much cap space they have left at this point, but as the saying goes, sh*t happens.  The Jets could suffer an injury to a player in TC that they were counting on to start or see significant time as a role player, and they'll need to have some cash available in case of such an emergency.  Hopefully, the team will suffer no injuries, but there will be a number of camp cuts available who can help the team.  In particular, there could be a TE or WR, or possibly even a S who could be better than anyone the team presently has, or who at least has different skills and would be a complimentary player.  Players named in the articles who could possibly help the Jets and whom I'd have some interest in are Celek, Avant, Tate, Roundtree, and Hawkins, but not Britt.  Just because he's from NJ or NY doesn't mean the Jets should sign them.  I'm tired of reading that crap.  Britt has had numerous run-ins with the police and seems to be a bit of a head case as well as low character.  No thanks.  Celek would be a HUGE addition to the Jets, because he would become the instant starter and knows Sir Morty's offense.  Avant would probably be the #1 on the Jets if Holmes is unable to play up to his previous levels, but either Celek or Avant might want more than the Jets could pay.

With regard to Rodriguez, I know nothing about him except what was in the article.  Perhaps coming home would help straighten him out if he does have talent, but I'd want to know why he was arrested.  The Jets have had enough low character types on the team.  They need to return to high character type players.  If his arrests were for any type of violence or drug-related offenses, then I'd definitely have NO interest in signing him.

At any rate, depending upon what happens with the tryouts this week, unless an injury occurs or they get bad news regarding Holmes rehab, I think they should wait until camp cuts occur to add anyone else.

~ ~ agreed,..i think we're gonna wait to see who the other teams cut loose :winking0001:

fyi  :

~ ~ Green Bay Packers linebacker Desmond Bishop didn't participate in

drills during OTA practice at Clarke Hinkle Field, Tuesday, May 21,
2013. H. Marc Larson/Press-Gazette Media

When     

the Green Bay Packers re-signed Brad Jones and restructured the
contract of A.J. Hawk this offseason, it became clear they intended to
give the two inside linebackers significant roles this season.

And it also may have made Desmond Bishop expendable.

That
appears to the case. The Packers may be about to release the
seventh-year veteran who took over as a starter in 2010 but missed all
of last season after he tore the hamstring tendon in his right leg
during the preseason. ESPNMilwaukee.com was the first to report that the
Packers will part ways with the 28-year-old if they can’t trade him or
get him to restructure his deal.

A source told Press-Gazette Media on Tuesday night that barring injuries,

the Packers plan to start Hawk and Jones this season.

Bishop
appeared to be the odd man out after Jones re-signed with the Packers
for three years and $11.75 million, including a $3 million signing bonus
and Hawk agreed to take a pay cut but still received a $2.21 million
guaranteed roster bonus this offseason.

Bishop, who is due
to make $3.946 million this season as part of the contract extension he
signed in 2011, was the subject of trade rumors during the draft weekend
in April but said recently that no one from the organization ever told
him he was on the trading block.

Bishop has not
participated in the Packers’ offseason program because he has not been
cleared by the team doctors to return from his hamstring tendon injury
of last August. It needed to be surgically reattached.

Jones
started the final 10 regular-season games plus both playoff games in
Bishop’s spot, which was first filled by D.J. Smith, who blew out his
knee in Week 6. Smith was released in April in the midst of his rehab.

Last month, Bishop said he expected to get his starting spot back once

he was cleared to return.

“I
mean, yeah, somebody’s got to fill in right now,” Bishop said during a
break from OTAs last month. “It’s not like my job to say who plays and
who doesn’t. All I can do is get healthy to my full potential and get
back out there.”

Neither Bishop nor his agent, Blake Baratz, returned messages left this evening.

> http://www.packersnews.com/article/20130611/PKR0101/130611079/Packers-appear-set-part-ways-Bishop?odyssey=obinsite

I'm not worried about this year's cap space so much; we have enough left (though it would be nice to push as much as possible to next year; hopefully a meaningful year where there's a more realistic chance we might do something).

At the same time, one of the luxuries you're supposed to have with a throwaway year like this (and it is a throwaway year I don't care what anyone says) is it's a golden opportunity to give a shot to guys who otherwise wouldn't get one.  Some guys just perform better in games and look 100% useless in practice: see Tebow, Tim.  Others need a little more work, and it could be as simple as acclimating to the new playbook and they're just thinking too much, which is never good for an athlete in any sport.  When the playbook becomes more ingrained into their heads, the drops will stop (or certainly lower dramatically; every team's receivers drop some passes).

Circling back, though, if all of these guys are dropping passes at such an alarming rate, then they have to do something.  I hate band-aid players in rebuilding years while we have younger and theoretically talented players on the squad, but if we're going to throw Geno in there at some point it's going to be tough enough if they drop 20% of his passes.  Despite ludicrous claims by his fanatics, Sanchez never had to deal with a drop rate like that even with under 20% of his passes being dead-on (with another 40% or so being merely catchable but still poorly thrown).  So a guy like Braylon, who has zero long-term future here, is a waste of a roster spot and practice time when you're desperately trying to get your young guys in action.  

I'm not worried about this year's cap space so much; we have enough left (though it would be nice to push as much as possible to next year; hopefully a meaningful year where there's a more realistic chance we might do something).

At the same time, one of the luxuries you're supposed to have with a throwaway year like this (and it is a throwaway year I don't care what anyone says) is it's a golden opportunity to give a shot to guys who otherwise wouldn't get one.  Some guys just perform better in games and look 100% useless in practice: see Tebow, Tim.  Others need a little more work, and it could be as simple as acclimating to the new playbook and they're just thinking too much, which is never good for an athlete in any sport.  When the playbook becomes more ingrained into their heads, the drops will stop (or certainly lower dramatically; every team's receivers drop some passes).

Circling back, though, if all of these guys are dropping passes at such an alarming rate, then they have to do something.  I hate band-aid players in rebuilding years while we have younger and theoretically talented players on the squad, but if we're going to throw Geno in there at some point it's going to be tough enough if they drop 20% of his passes.  Despite ludicrous claims by his fanatics, Sanchez never had to deal with a drop rate like that even with under 20% of his passes being dead-on (with another 40% or so being merely catchable but still poorly thrown).  So a guy like Braylon, who has zero long-term future here, is a waste of a roster spot and practice time when you're desperately trying to get your young guys in action.  

I'm in agreement with you about not signing bandaids.  I'd rather give the young guys every opportunity since, as you say, it's gonna be a lost year anyway.  That said, with the scrubs the Jets have at WR at the moment, they might not ever improve.  If signing a camp cut is necessary at WR, TE and/or S because the young guys don't improve once they stop having to think so much, I was hoping that it would be a player or players who were young enough that they could still give the team at least 3 years of solid play.

On another note, how great would it have been if the Rams didnt slither ahead of us and take Tavon Austin, he woulda been ours. I think we woulda been okay with the depth at CB. Aaron Berry is impressing apparently and kyle wilson is making strides. This Milliner dude better be the truth

On another note, how great would it have been if the Rams didnt slither ahead of us and take Tavon Austin, he woulda been ours. I think we woulda been okay with the depth at CB. Aaron Berry is impressing apparently and kyle wilson is making strides. This Milliner dude better be the truth

Dee? Didn't we already give up on that underbite having turd? And Austin? With Sanchez lobbing him the ball, would it matter? He is just another tiny slot, anyways.

Dee? Didn't we already give up on that underbite having turd? And Austin? With Sanchez lobbing him the ball, would it matter? He is just another tiny slot, anyways.

Well with Geno, at least there would be some serious chemistry there they can continue to build on. 

Archived