Schiano doesn't think Revis is a shutdown corner.. on a fulltime basis??

pointman

That, or Schiano isn't Rex and doesn't run to the press to only up-sell his players and inflate their worth and ego. More likewise pal Bellichik, who notoriously anchors any praise with a statement about where X player can still improve. I prefer the philosophy that Rex doesn't employ personally, goal setting and benchmarking is important especially for giant dummies like NFL players. Telling them they are already the greatest sends message the don't need robe hungry. Don need to improve or impress.

This is true Revis played A LOT of man to man because it helped Rex blitx more effectively we were a 3-4 D all day.. i don't believe Tampa run's a 3-4 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, that Mo Wilkerson is a huge bust with his high tackle and low sack numbers. 

http://www.mutigers.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2012-2013/indgbg.html#IGBG.DEF

Wilkerson had 5 sacks last year which isn't a low number for a DT.  it's 1 more than Richardson's entire missouri career. the fact that the missouri sports information director says Richardson had 75 tackles last year  (25 more than ncaa.org) well that isn't really alot of production. They didn't draft him to make tackles 5 yards down field. There are linebackers for that job. Ndamukong Suh had 15 sacks as a senior or something like that. that's big time DT production. 

Wilkerson had 5 sacks last year which isn't a low number for a DT.  it's 1 more than Richardson's entire missouri career. the fact that the missouri sports information director says Richardson had 75 tackles last year  (25 more than ncaa.org) well that isn't really alot of production. They didn't draft him to make tackles 5 yards down field. There are linebackers for that job. Ndamukong Suh had 15 sacks as a senior or something like that. that's big time DT production. 

Something tells me you really don't know why Rex and the Jets drafted him. Or have the slightest idea as to how they plan on utilizing him, at this point. 

P.S. I figured out where you got that 54 number. Your only talking solo tackles and completely ignoring assisted tackles.  Very objective of you indeed.

Its actually 1 LESS than he had in his Mizzou career. Lol You sure are a stickler for facts, huh?

he has about 1 TFL a game. 54 tackles total in 24 games. 

sacks don't matter, since when? It's pretty much the only way anyone judges these guys. Richardson was not drafted to stop the run or be the next James Reed. 

I would think this is a pretty big deal for a DT.

As far as sacks being what anyone judges these guys on...Can we move it from anyone to the people who actually maybe have to think critically about this stuff? What do those guys think about Richardson's ability to get into the backfield and disrupt a play? 

Something tells me you really don't know why Rex and the Jets drafted him. Or have the slightest idea as to how they plan on utilizing him, at this point. 

P.S. I figured out where you got that 54 number. Your only talking solo tackles and completely ignoring assisted tackles.  Very objective of you indeed.

Counting the solo tackles and assisted is a mistake... or a choice. the sack number is actually both (which is not how the NFL works, it would give half sacks). 

I know how they will utilize him he will be a pass rusher on 3rd down and will be pushed around against the run. He plays on skates like most 3-techs you can run right at him. If he can get a good number of sacks it will make up for the fact he can't stand up to a NFL-level double team and play the nose in a 30 front. 

Its actually 1 LESS than he had in his Mizzou career. Lol You sure are a stickler for facts, huh?

according to the ncaa he has 4 solo sacks and 4 assisted. I don't know how that adds up to 6. Unless we are doing half sacks for the assists? 

look the point im trying to make isn't that Richardson stinks. Just that he's not an elite pass rusher coming out and people using the elite pass rusher argument as to why Revis loss won't be bad, are overrating Richardson's pass rush production. If the Jets had drafted Suh or JJ Watt, yes that might be a great pass rush vs coverage argument. 

according to the ncaa he has 4 solo sacks and 4 assisted. I don't know how that adds up to 6. Unless we are doing half sacks for the assists? 

look the point im trying to make isn't that Richardson stinks. Just that he's not an elite pass rusher coming out and people using the elite pass rusher argument as to why Revis loss won't be bad, are overrating Richardson's pass rush production. If the Jets had drafted Suh or JJ Watt, yes that might be a great pass rush vs coverage argument. 

Then say that, don't make silly claims like: he had no production and was drafted solely on potential or proclaim he will be a bust if he doesn't get a lot of sacks.

I agree he is not an elite pass rusher, but in fairness to Richardson, very few DTs turn out to be 'elite' pass rushers. Using last years stats provided by ESPN, of the top 36 sack leaders, a grand total of 2 were DTs. Judging the failure or success of a DT using only sacks is dumb, really really really dumb. 

proclaim he will be a bust if he doesn't get a lot of sacks.

this is the world we live in. I didn't make the rules. If Richardson doesn't get sacks he will be considered a bust. And my opinion (or yours) won't change that perception. Sacks is the only thing that matters for DL drafted in the first round. 

this is the world we live in. I didn't make the rules. If Richardson doesn't get sacks he will be considered a bust. And my opinion (or yours) won't change that perception. Sacks is the only thing that matters for DL drafted in the first round. 

Not only are you making up your own rules on how to measure the bust rate of DTs, you're also making up your own facts along the way. Lol

We're getting off topic now so I'll leave it at that. 

Like Dewayne Robertson? ;)

didn't want to bring him up but both players came out as juniors, both 3-techs, both from lower tier programs in the SEC. Neither can stop the run or stand their ground at POA. Both worked out awesome. Both have marginal production (4 career sacks actually). 

You bring up Drob like I personally drafted him. But i did learn from that pick. You shouldn't take DT's with low college production and expect them to be Warren Sapp. 

all that being said if Drob was healthy he'd probably had a better career. he did have 16 sacks in his NFL career, started 80+ games and played a part in at least 2 playoff victories. let's hope Richardson's knees are in better shape. The picks the Jets traded up btw became Michael Haynes and rex grossman.

these seem like the same guy more or less.

Yup pretty much. But according to you one set represents a player who you think is productive, while the other set represents a player who you think is not productive.

One is Mo Wilks average over his last 2 season in the NFL and the other is Richardson's production his last 2 years in college. Can't have it both ways.

Yup pretty much. But according to you one set represents a player who you think is productive, while the other set represents a player who you think is not productive.

One is Mo Wilks average over his last 2 season in the NFL and the other is Richardson's production his last 2 years in college. Can't have it both ways.

Wilk had 3x more career sacks in college than Richardson. 

Archived