Santonio May Miss SEASON

Lizard King

So is everybody happy now?

This could do for Sanchez and Geno what Tiki Barber's retirement did for Eli Manning. Holmes is and was an a$$hole. I don't care where you work, having that one weasely douchebag lurking around brings the whole office down.

This could do for Sanchez and Geno what Tiki Barber's retirement did for Eli Manning. Holmes is and was an a$$hole. I don't care where you work, having that one weasely douchebag lurking around brings the whole office down.

Couldn't agree more.

I can't speak for others, but my biggest gripe with Santonio was that his contract doesn't match his production.  Another poster had mentioned that if he gets placed on IR his contract monies no longer affect the cap.  Do you know anything about this?

Yes.  I know that other poster is incorrect.

Any money the team pays a player must come off the salary cap.  There are no ways out, no Larry Bird exceptions, no loopholes without redoing the player's contract.  Holmes is guaranteed $7.5M salary this year so $7.5M must come off the cap this year (in addition to the amortized portion of prior signing bonus money already paid to him previously).  As long as he's alive and hasn't quit, the Jets must pay him this money and it therefore must come off the salary cap.  Chances of him quitting are zero since he has to do rehab anyway; the choice is rehabbing for 7 1/2 million dollars or rehabbing for zero dollars.  No one is dumb enough to not realize this and choose the latter.

So the only way to not have Santonio count this year is if he miraculously retires (this would forgo any guaranteed money we would owe him in the future) and agrees to pay back bonus money, previously received, above the amortized amount that has already come off the cap.  Fat chance of that happening since concern for career-ending (or career-altering) injuries is 90% of the reason players want guaranteed money in the first place (the rest being concern of them getting cut due to sucking or in general showing to be unworthy of the contract they were signed to).

There is no way out short of the Jets and Holmes agreeing to an injury settlement as grounds for him retiring (which would entail paying him still MORE money but spreading it out differently).  This year is not going to be a superbowl season anyway, so frankly it's the perfect season to take it all.  Besides, there's a good chance that extra cap space cleared up this year would be pushed to next year anyway (there are ways of doing this, and teams do it every year).  Therefore this would be an exercise in futility for the team and they would therefore never approach Holmes with this offer.  Besides, Holmes has given no public indication that he wants to retire anyway.

edit:  the only other thing I can think of is if he got arrested for some reason and the team (or the league) suspended him without pay for conduct detrimental to the team (or detrimental to the league).  I don't know how that would work if he was on IR at the time.  But if it happens while he's on the PUP the Jets may be able to get out of paying guaranteed game checks after week 6 (when the PUP roster-spot exemption is up).  Maybe.  Even still, Holmes could probably find a doctor to testify that he would have been on IR after week 6 anyway (if that would make a difference).

Like I mentioned, those that feel this way get the best of both worlds.  Holmes is around to provide guidance - good/coaching guidance, not guidance on how to be a douchebag - which he is doing from all reports.  But at the same time, he's not in the huddle causing problems.  In the huddle is where ultra-talented cancers like Tiki (and Shockey) were causing problems for Eli.  Once Shockey was on IR - still on the team but not in the huddle - he was no longer a distraction and we all know how that season ended.  

So for anyone who wished the Jets would just eat the guaranteed money and cut him, if they put him on IR you'd kind of get your wish here (albeit in a different fashion).  If he wants to be a (positive) contributing force, then he'll stick around.  But if he's on IR I don't know if he has any obligation to be within a thousand miles of a Jets player, coach, or trainer until next season (when he's probably getting cut anyway).

If he misses the season or even an extended period of time during the season, the Jets better sign Chad Johnson or Terrell Owens.

JMO But no and no. I would ratther have Austin Collie one hit away from being a vegetable then one of these 2 poisoning our team. We don't need anymore Bozo's for our Circus.

Like I mentioned, those that feel this way get the best of both worlds. Holmes is around to provide guidance - good/coaching guidance, not guidance on how to be a douchebag - which he is doing from all reports. But at the same time, he's not in the huddle causing problems. In the huddle is where ultra-talented cancers like Tiki (and Shockey) were causing problems for Eli. Once Shockey was on IR - still on the team but not in the huddle - he was no longer a distraction and we all know how that season ended.

So for anyone who wished the Jets would just eat the guaranteed money and cut him, if they put him on IR you'd kind of get your wish here (albeit in a different fashion). If he wants to be a (positive) contributing force, then he'll stick around. But if he's on IR I don't know if he has any obligation to be within a thousand miles of a Jets player, coach, or trainer until next season (when he's probably getting cut anyway).

Word. It's also a boon to anyone rooting for Rex, as well. I've said before that a coach can survive having a bust QB, but it's harder to explain away letting one player steamroll him repeatedly. Holmes, more than Mark, is the one who's ruined Rex's program by exposing the weaknesses of a player's coach. That Rex never reprimanded Holmes (after the Philly game; after the Miami blowup) exposed him as weak in front of the team.

Archived