Jets Sign Dee Milliner

JetNation

Dee_MillinerThe New York Jets have agreed to a contract with 1st round draft pick Dee Milliner.  According to the Jets via Twitter he is expected to be in camp on Monday,

We had our resident salary cap guru, Dennis Agapito, breakdown an approximation of the contract.  Dennis also outlined the contract issue that caused the delay. Check out that article as well for more information on offset language.

Tell us what kind of impact you think Dee Milliner can have in our

Surprized it's only a 4 yr. deal. Most #1 picks get signed for 5. Maybe that's where Idzik gave in a bit? The contract did have offset language though. Something Idzik said he wouldn't give in on

Dee Milliner deal with Jets: 4 years, $12.66M, fully guaranteed w/ offset language. SB $7.588M, payable $5.0M 8-15, $2.338M 10-15, $250k 3-15-14, minimum base salaries.

Sorry, forgot the terms of the deal.

Surprized it's only a 4 yr. deal. Most #1 picks get signed for 5. Maybe that's where Idzik gave in a bit? The contract did have offset language though. Something Idzik said he wouldn't give in on

Not anymore.  Not since the new CBA a couple of years ago.  There are no more 5-7 year contracts for first round (high first round) rookies.  Cam Newton was the #1 pick and his contract is 4 years.  Ditto Andrew Luck. 

It was a give and take - and an appropriate one - in exchange for rookie salaries being slotted.  There won't be any more 7 year contracts for Dewayne Robertsons or 5 year/$50M for Vernon Gholstons.  Likewise, someone a team gets super-lucky with won't be locked into a long contract for half (or less than half) the market value for his play/position.

Jets | Dee Milliner terms 
Mon, 29 Jul 2013 05:47:53 -0700

Updating a previous report, New York Jets CB Dee Milliner received a four-year, $12.66 million deal, which is fully guaranteed, and has offset language. He has a $7.59 million signing bonus, and $5 million is due on Aug. 15.

Comment | Source: ESPNNewYork.com - Rich Cimini | Share: facebook.png 

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz2aRRyhxby

Not anymore.  Not since the new CBA a couple of years ago.  There are no more 5-7 year contracts for first round (high first round) rookies.  Cam Newton was the #1 pick and his contract is 4 years.  Ditto Andrew Luck. 

It was a give and take - and an appropriate one - in exchange for rookie salaries being slotted.  There won't be any more 7 year contracts for Dewayne Robertsons or 5 year/$50M for Vernon Gholstons.  Likewise, someone a team gets super-lucky with won't be locked into a long contract for half (or less than half) the market value for his play/position.

Joekel and the 1st pick got 5 year contracts

Like I said, I'm sure they are not true 5-year contracts and the last year is an option year.  It was a real sticking point when the CBA was redone that if the owners wanted the rookie salaries slotted then they couldn't lock them up for more than 4 years.  

We'll find out eventually, when the terms get released, but this is my understanding of how long a rookie contract can be.

Not from what I've read.  In fact, the only rookie to get a 5-year contract (according to nfl.com) was Ziggy Ansah 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000168476/article/2013-nfl-draft-firstround-picks-signing-status

However, rotoworld lists it as a 4-year contract.  So someone has their numbers mixed up. 

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8385/ezekiel-ansah

Not from what I've read.  In fact, the only rookie to get a 5-year contract (according to nfl.com) was Ziggy Ansah 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000168476/article/2013-nfl-draft-firstround-picks-signing-status

However, rotoworld lists it as a 4-year contract.  So someone has their numbers mixed up. 

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8385/ezekiel-ansah

Which is what I was saying.  The "5th year" is a club option, not a true 5th year.

Honestly I'm surprised that was even allowed, unless that 5th year is tied to the franchise tag number or something.  Even still, it allows them to franchise tag Ansah without using up their franchise tag on him (in essence they could tag 2 players in the event they can't - or don't want to - reach long-term agreements with them).  

In addition, what's the difference really between a 5th year and a club option in year 5?  All 5 year deals are club options in year 5 unless the player gets cut first. Duh.  I mean, they can only spread signing bonus over 4 years instead of 5 but that's not much of a factor anymore with these slotted rookie deals.  There are no more signing bonuses in excess of $20M.

A player option for year 5 I could see as fair game.  But a club option?  The best of the best players want out of their rookie deals as soon as possible and this allows the team to get a 5th year out of their rookie without a gigantic signing bonus.

Anyone want to take a stab at explaining how this is ok to the rest of us?

Which is what I was saying.  The "5th year" is a club option, not a true 5th year.

Honestly I'm surprised that was even allowed, unless that 5th year is tied to the franchise tag number or something.  Even still, it allows them to franchise tag Ansah without using up their franchise tag on him (in essence they could tag 2 players in the event they can't - or don't want to - reach long-term agreements with them).  

In addition, what's the difference really between a 5th year and a club option in year 5?  All 5 year deals are club options in year 5 unless the player gets cut first. Duh.  I mean, they can only spread signing bonus over 4 years instead of 5 but that's not much of a factor anymore with these slotted rookie deals.  There are no more signing bonuses in excess of $20M.

A player option for year 5 I could see as fair game.  But a club option?  The best of the best players want out of their rookie deals as soon as possible and this allows the team to get a 5th year out of their rookie without a gigantic signing bonus.

Not exactly sure how this all works as far as the rules with the contract structure goes, but one thing to mention is that I had read in one of the other reports about Milliner's contract that apparently his deal also has a 5th year option.  I haven't seen anything specifying one way or the other whether these 5th year options are really team options or player options, but my initial impression was certainly that it was a team option.  I have to imagine if that was the case it was a compromise specifically negotiated into the CBA.

I don't know, I'm not good with numbers...or letters...or words.  

I just thought it was humorous that the Detroit Lions might be exploiting a Ghana national with the least amount of actual football experience because of his literacy.  I know he has an agent for this stuff, but the word, "duped" came to mind. 

I don't know, I'm not good with numbers...or letters...or words.

I just thought it was humorous that the Detroit Lions might be exploiting a Ghana national with the least amount of actual football experience because of his literacy. I know he has an agent for this stuff, but the word, "duped" came to mind.

Lol

Archived