No Oridinary Scrimmage For Jets QB Sanchez, Smith

flgreen

No oridinary scrimmage for Jets QBs Sanchez, Smith

Saturday, August 3, 2013

BY  J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

The Record

CORTLAND, N.Y. – Rex Ryan is looking forward to tonight's Green and White scrimmage because, as the Jets coach said Friday, the "tempo" will "pick up" as opposed to a normal practice.

Tonight's Jets scrimmage will raise 'the level of competition,' said QB Geno Smith, left. QB Mark Sanchez agrees: 'It will be more game-like,' but QBs can't be hit during the session.

TYSON TRISH/STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER

Buy or license this photo

Tonight's Jets scrimmage will raise 'the level of competition,' said QB Geno Smith, left. QB Mark Sanchez agrees: 'It will be more game-like,' but QBs can't be hit during the session.

The tempo of the Jets' ongoing quarterback competition could accelerate as well.

Ryan said Friday that although he hadn't yet discussed specifics with offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, both incumbent Mark Sanchez and challenger Geno Smith would get snaps with both the starters and second-stringers. Quarterbacks still can't be hit during the scrimmage, but everyone else is fair game.

It's the closest thing the Jets will have to a game until they open their preseason schedule at Detroit on Friday, and Mornhinweg already has indicated that the scrimmage will count for more than a regular practice when the staff finally decides who will start at quarterback.

"It will be a little more game-like," Sanchez noted.

"I think the level of competition will be raised," Smith said. "Every single guy wants to go out there and perform well in the scrimmage. You want to be that guy when you go back and watch tape and the coaches are praising you and saying, 'Hey, this is the type of guy we need here and this is the type of guy who has given a maximum amount of effort, always doing the right things,' and every single guy is going to have that in the back of their minds."

Still, Ryan cautioned against putting too much emphasis on tonight's results.

"I don't think you're going to necessarily separate yourself," Ryan said, "to say, 'Oh, here's the starter.' I think you have to get [that] in the [preseason] games. We'll see."

Both quarterbacks feel they are doing well thus far in this competition, which is too close to call.

"I'm not going to speak for Geno or the coaches, but, I'll speak for myself," said Sanchez, a fifth-year veteran who has started all but two games during his NFL career. "I feel like I'm having a great camp. My arm feels good, my legs feel good, I feel strong, I feel accurate. I feel like I'm in command.

"So I've just got to keep playing."

"It's up to the coaches," said Smith, a second-round draft pick from West Virginia. "I just evaluate myself and I don't worry about that other stuff. I feel like at this point, I'm at least close to where I should be.

"Am I perfect? No. But am I making good strides? Yes. As long as I stay on that track, I'll be fine.

"I just hope to go out there" tonight, he added, "execute the offense, limit penalties, limit mistakes, not have any turnovers, move the chains and just not put us in a poor situation."

Sanchez said he isn't getting caught up in peeking at what Smith is doing, and instead is completely focused on doing his job.

"If it's the short-yardage drill," he said, "I'm not worried about, 'OK, Geno converted this many short-yardage plays.' I don't really care about that. I care about, 'OK, the group that I'm in with, whether it's ones or twos, whatever, are we winning that drill? Is my group winning that drill?' That's all I can control because then you get into rooting for one side or the other. You don't want to do that. It takes up too much time. There are too much mental gymnastics going on, you have plenty of other stuff in your head. So, I'm just worried about the group I'm in and converting our drills."

Email: pelzman@northjersey.com

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/sports/218192412_No_oridinary_scrimmage_for_Jets_QBs_Sanchez__Smith.html?page=all#sthash.vID9xttB.dpuf

that statement can cut both ways

No, it really can't. It's far more an indictment on the guy who's been a four year starter than the 2nd round rookie who's never even taken a snap in an NFL game.  That certainly does not cut both ways. This theory of yours that if sanchez is so bad and geno isn't blowing him out of the water, then that must correlate to geno being terrible is bogus.  

No, it really can't. It's far more an indictment on the guy who's been a four year starter than the 2nd round rookie who's never even taken a snap in an NFL game.  That certainly does not cut both ways. This theory of yours that if sanchez is so bad and geno isn't blowing him out of the water, then that must correlate to geno being terrible is bogus.  

i never said any of that.   people think tearing down Mark is the same as proving Geno is ready to start week 1. 

i never said any of that.   people think tearing down Mark is the same as proving Geno is ready to start week 1. 

No, but you certainly infer it.  When you say well if Mark is terrible and Geno can't beat him out, what does that say about him?  That's pretty much insinuating that if he can't beat Mark out, then he himself is not any better.  Maybe it's just you trying to compensate for the hate Mark gets, but that's how it comes across.

No, it really can't. It's far more an indictment on the guy who's been a four year starter  ...

And, as a gauge, had his worst season in his most recent season rather than one of his first .... curve is sloping the wrong way .... 

Archived