CB dept. : Antonio Cromartie ~ ~ ~

kelly

NY Jets will need CB Antonio Cromartie in future, and extension for cornerback makes salary cap sense Cromartie, of course, will have to prove that last year’s Pro Bowl season wasn’t an aberration. Despite missing Revis for much of the season, the Jets finished second in the league in pass defense in 2012.

New York Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie will be relied on more than ever this season.

John Idzik’s master plan remains a mystery, but his radical reconstruction needs to include Antonio Cromartie. The rookie Jets general manager must be pro-active with one of his most indispensable players amid all the turnover.

But does Cromartie want to be a Jet for life ?

“Oh, yeah... that’s the God’s honest truth,” Cromartie told the Daily News on Tuesday. “That’s something I’d love to happen. My family is enjoying it and I’m enjoying it here. We’re settled. This is where I want to finish my career.”Cromartie is entering the third year of a four-year, $32 million deal. He did a simple contract restructure this offseason to give the Jets some salary-cap relief, but Idzik needs to extend him after the 2013 season for a couple of reasons.

1) Cromartie comes with a team-high $14.98 million salary-cap charge in 2014 ($4.3 million base salary plus $5 million roster bonus plus other bonuses). Although it’s not ideal, the Jets could carry Cromartie at that price. (Idzik would free up more than $16.5 million by releasing Mark Sanchez and Santonio Holmes). It makes more sense to extend the Pro Bowl cornerback and spread a lower annual cap charge over a few years.

2) If the Jets don’t extend Cromartie after this season and make him play out the final year of his deal, they risk losing him to free agency. The problem with retaining him in 2015 by using the franchise tag? The franchise number for cornerbacks in 2015 will be $17.74 million. It’s unlikely that Idzik (or owner Woody Johnson) would be willing to pay that price for a defensive back after they refused to sign Darrelle Revis to a multi-year deal in that neighborhood this offseason.

Cromartie, of course, will have to prove that last year’s Pro Bowl season wasn’t an aberration. Despite missing Revis for much of the season, the Jets finished second in the league in pass defense in 2012 thanks, in part, to Cromartie’s ability to be an elite No. 1 cornerback.Cromartie ranked in Pro Football Focus’ Top 5 in coverage rating and quarterbacks completion percentage last season. He was sixth in passes defensed. Cromartie doesn’t believe that the Jets are in “rebuilding mode,” but he realizes that nothing is guaranteed with a new GM.“Everybody is still interviewing,” Cromartie said. “All 90 players are still interviewing. We got a new GM. I have this year and one more year. I’m still interviewing and that’s how I treat it.”

Cromartie may not be concerned with his contract situation, but Idzik certainly has a plan for what he wants to do even though there are so many unknown variables. Although Cromartie, easily the most athletic player on the roster, believes he has “five or six years left,” he will turn 30 after this season, which must be a serious consideration for a franchise that dismantled its roster this offseason with an eye toward the future.

> http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-jets-afford-cro-article-1.1419591

I'm fairly certain there is absolutely no way that number is even close to correct, especially considering Revis is the league's highest paid CB (by far), at $16 million / year.

Look who wrote the article.  Manish's anonymous sources told him that's what the franchise number would be.  They've been oh so reliable before, why on earth should we doubt his sources now.

Best player on our team was revis now it's cromartie doesn't say much for our team . They have to trade him cause they won't pay him

agreed !..if we won't/can't sign him...trade him & get a draft pick &/or player for him :winking0001:

I'm fairly certain there is absolutely no way that number is even close to correct, especially considering Revis is the league's highest paid CB (by far), at $16 million / year.

Yeah, that stuck out with me also.  If Revis is getting paid the most, at $16M, then the average of the top 5 can't be greater than that.

Archived