Serby: Sanchez Era Circling The Drain

flgreen

Sanchez era circling the drain
  • By STEVE SERBY
  •  
steve_serby.png
Steve Serby

It has come to this for Mark Sanchez:

His chances of being the starting quarterback ever again for the New York Jets can best be described as a wing, and a wounded one at that, and a prayer.

Once the regular season starts Sunday against the Bucs with Geno Smith and without him, the depth chart will reveal him to be The Butttumbler.

The Grim Reaper stands over Sanchez now as the conspiracy theories gain new life about the inevitable death of his Jets career, fueled by the arrival yesterday of Brady Quinn.

That’s all it takes these days, the signing of a journeyman former first-round bust who could conceivably serve as a preferable mentor for Smith — if for no other reason than he would not be perceived as a threat to him.

mark_sanchez--300x300.jpg
AP
QB MESS: Geno Smith appears poised to start Sunday’s opener as Mark Sanchez (above) is left answering questions about his shoulder and journeyman Brady Quinn arrives for the start of his Jets career.

Sanchez stands grimly at his locker and repeats his “day-to-day” mantra, which more than ever now applies to his standing on general manager John Idzik’s rebuilding team as well.

Only on the Jets could Sanchez win a quarterback competition with Geno Smith and then lose it to an unfathomable shoulder bruise that never should have happened.

Sanchez has a fan base that by and large can’t wait to kick him to the curb, and a GM who drafted Smith in the second round and wants his future to be now, and a lame duck head coach who no longer loves him.

Sanchez, of course, made the bed he sleeps in with his reckless disregard for the football over these last two seasons, those ghastly 52 crimes against Jets Nation.

Sanchez knows his last chance to keep his starting job comes over these next 48 hours, during which time he might be desperate enough to call Tim Tebow and ask him to pray for a healing miracle. Fuggedaboudit.

The questions about Quinn joining Matt Simms as a backup, combined with his continued inability to practice, prompted a flurry of The Death of Sanchez questions for Rex Ryan:

Will Sanchez be here? Is it possible he could wind up on injured reserve?

“We’ll look at all those factors as we move forward,” Ryan said. “But, again, looking into it more than what it is, it was just an opportunity for us to, as we feel, get a good football player, and that’s kind of where we are with it.”

Is IR a consideration?

“That’s not what we’re looking at right now,” Ryan said.

And: “If we felt as an organization that he should be placed on IR, then Mark would have been placed on IR.”

“Could things change? Absolutely things can change. ... We said that he’s day-to-day. That’s a long way from saying he’s going on IR.”

Can you say with certainty that when he is healthy and he is cleared to play, he will be an active member of this team?

“Again, there’s a lot of factors that go into all those type of things,” Ryan said, “but if Mark’s healthy, then yes, I would say he would be, to finish your thing, of part of this football team, I guess what you said.”

It is entirely possible, of course, that there very well will be a great debate behind the green door as to the merits of placing Sanchez on season-ending IR if the shoulder is more problematic than the Kremlin Jets are letting on.

If the organization has reached a philosophical consensus Smith will be handed the keys to the kingdom with no turning back whenever Sanchez is capable of throwing again, then placing Sanchez on IR and removing the possibility of a divided locker room once Smith begins struggling would make a modicum of sense.

Sanchez still has his supporters in the Jets locker room, and should, because he won the quarterback competition by default, or should have, until Ryan instructed him to go get that Snoopy Trophy in garbage time against the Giants.

Removing him from the equation might, in the eyes of some, alleviate stress on Smith. Quinn has his own baggage, but he doesn’t need a cargo plane to unload it, and it isn’t New York/Jets baggage.

So it makes sense in that way.

But it doesn’t make sense in this way: What if Smith were to get hurt?

Sanchez, for better or worse, has mastered Marty Mornhinweg’s system. He would give the Jets a better chance to win than Quinn or Simms.

And more than anything, it simply doesn’t make cents for the Jets to simply cut off his right arm to spite their face — $8.25 million guaranteed, and a prohibitive $12.8 million cap charge — whether he’s on the team or off.

Sanchez was asked: Are you concerned that you are losing, or have lost, your starting job, because of injury?

“No, not really,” Sanchez said. “I just got to come back as soon as possible, and keep rehabbing.”

Do you feel like you’re in limbo though?

“Not really. I feel like I’m rehabbing.”

Sadly, whatever the buttfumbling football gods ultimately decide, this much we know: His once-promising career needs rehabbing, be it here, or somewhere else.

steve.serby@nypost.com

So Serby is speculating that Quinn may have been brought in so the Jets can place Sanchez on the IR, and then saying that that if they do do that, it's a dumb idea.

I can't imagine why his reputation is what it is.

That’s all it takes these days, the signing of a journeyman former first-round bust who could conceivably serve as a preferable mentor for Smith — if for no other reason than he would not be perceived as a threat to him.

Yay! Quinn can be the Jets' new, less accomplished version of Mark Brunell.

Personally I think the whole article is garbage. It would be an insult to birds to put this on the bottom of their cage.

September 3, 2013 9:05 AM

Mark Sanchez to miss season opener

BY Seth Walder

What appeared almost inevitable is now confirmed: Mark Sanchez (shoulder) will miss Sunday’s opener against the Bucs, according to a source.

Sanchez was hurt in the fourth quarter of the Jets’ third preseason game against the Giants, when the quarterback was put in behind the second-string offensive line and hit hard by Marvin Austin, resulting in a shoulder injury. The Jets have been coy about how serious Sanchez’s injury is, refusing to discuss his progress. Sanchez himself has been tight-lipped on the matter, too.

Sanchez’s injury makes Geno Smith the opening game starter by default, whether Rex Ryan and the QB committee felt he should win the job or not.

That the Jets signed QB Brady Quinn Tuesday was an indication that Sanchez’s injury was more serious than “day-to-day,” as the Jets have described him since the injury occurred. Quinn, whose contract will become guaranteed on Saturday, provides experience to a quarterback group that, without Sanchez, has none. Smith and Matt Simms are the other two quarterbacks on the roster.

Smith said Monday he had not officially been told he was the starter for Sunday’s game against Darrelle Revis and the Bucs, though both times when asked he said, “not yet.”

-With Manish Mehta

Twitter.com/SethWalderNYDN

bunch of trash written by a guy who looks like he doesn't know the feathered back hairstyle went out in 1989.

getting sick of these stupid articles burying the team before they've even played a game.

LOL

I agree Serby sucks, but a hairstyle attack?  C'mon you can do better then that.

September 3, 2013 9:05 AM

Mark Sanchez to miss season opener

BY Seth Walder

What appeared almost inevitable is now confirmed: Mark Sanchez (shoulder) will miss Sunday’s opener against the Bucs, according to a source.

Sanchez was hurt in the fourth quarter of the Jets’ third preseason game against the Giants, when the quarterback was put in behind the second-string offensive line and hit hard by Marvin Austin, resulting in a shoulder injury. The Jets have been coy about how serious Sanchez’s injury is, refusing to discuss his progress. Sanchez himself has been tight-lipped on the matter, too.

Sanchez’s injury makes Geno Smith the opening game starter by default, whether Rex Ryan and the QB committee felt he should win the job or not.

That the Jets signed QB Brady Quinn Tuesday was an indication that Sanchez’s injury was more serious than “day-to-day,” as the Jets have described him since the injury occurred. Quinn, whose contract will become guaranteed on Saturday, provides experience to a quarterback group that, without Sanchez, has none. Smith and Matt Simms are the other two quarterbacks on the roster.

Smith said Monday he had not officially been told he was the starter for Sunday’s game against Darrelle Revis and the Bucs, though both times when asked he said, “not yet.”

-With Manish Mehta

Twitter.com/SethWalderNYDN

confirmed by who?

I can not believe how these guys are just making stuff up now that there is no one leaking info

Wow I forgot that Quinn's salary becomes guaranteed on Saturday.   This might really be the end of Sanchez in NY

That won't be a factor. Quinn's league minimum contract may be guaranteed, but so is Sanchez's $8.25M.

LOL

I agree Serby sucks, but a hairstyle attack?  C'mon you can do better then that.

I start with the hairstyle then move on to the shape of his ears..  work with me.

but for real..  take a gander at that mop.  looks like a bad guy from a Charlies Angels episode.

So Serby is speculating that Quinn may have been brought in so the Jets can place Sanchez on the IR, and then saying that that if they do do that, it's a dumb idea.

I can't imagine why his reputation is what it is.

Yay! Quinn can be the Jets' new, less accomplished version of Mark Brunell.

Personally I think the whole article is garbage. It would be an insult to birds to put this on the bottom of their cage.

Agreed.  In his great and thorough thinking through of the ramifications of putting Sanchez on IR, he even fails to mention (think of?) the facts that by IRing Sanchez they'd gain a roster spot that they could use to add someone like Lansanah or Bell or someone from another team's PS that they like or how the Jets' fan base would rejoice and take comfort in the fact that they'd never have to see Sanchez on the field for the Jets again. and how that would help end the circus atmosphere surrounding the team (which Serby of course wants to continue).

They're also trying to make something out of the fact that Smith hasn't been told that he's gonna be the starter yet (because that fits their narrative/agenda), when that happens fairly often with rookies to keep them from having too much time to worry and get nervous, plus as another poster said, Rex probably thinks it will help keep TB unprepared for which QB they'll be facing.  There's another possibility as well, although it is extremely remote (read nil).  They could be waiting to see how both Geno and Simms perform in practice this week, and if Simms looks more ready and polished than Geno, shock everyone and start Simms.   :winking0001:

Archived