Geno's Legs

Gastineau Lives

I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by Geno's ability to run. I don't watch a ton of college football but from what I understand he was considered a pocket passer. When he was drafted I felt there was a tendency to  actually underrate his running ability in reaction to some people overrating his running ability based on the fact that he is black.

I don't think you'll find a better run from a QB than Geno's td run yesterday. He not only showed speed, but also elusiveness and toughness. This other dimension to his game will only get better as, just as he is learning to throw the ball away among other aspects of playing QB, he is learning when to take off. These are things he would not have learned by holding a clipboard for nine or ten weeks and I am glad not-ready Geno has been thrust into the staring role. He's much better for it.

I think running-wise, Geno compares favorably to Andrew Luck, another underrated QB in that regard. If he can learn this extra dimension to keep defenses honest and our defense off the field, I think we have something here.

Geno's legs are skinny.  That said, I've been pretty surprised by his ability to run.  I knew he had good speed but he wasnt really a running QB in college, so seeing how swift he is on his feet has been a really nice treat.  The best part is, once he decided to start running, he's looking down field until he realizes he's got nothing or a huge opening.  When young QB's have speed and success running the ball to often do they tuck and run before assessing the field.  He's not doing that which is awesome.

He's definitely progressing and his legs are helping him out big time!

Anyone who can't see a huge improvement week to week just isn't watching. Yes he threw a pick 6 but he bounced back quick and turned it around. Not afraid to run and not afraid to make big throws. Accuracy has gotten better as the seasons gone on and his pocket presence has been really good outside of a few little mistakes.

Said that Geno coming out of college reminded me a lot of McNabb towards the end of his career: wants to be a pocket passer, but possesses all the skills to pick up some chunk plays with his legs as well.  The kid ran a 4.56 forty ( Luck: 4.59, Wilson: 4.53, Kaep: 4.53,  Rodgers: 4.71) and I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't train for it at all.  He's going to need get on a legit NFL weight program this off-season and put on some big-boy weight, he's got a lot of room on that frame to fill out.  

Archived