Is this the worst 5 year stretch?

joewillie78

I dont like Sanchez anymore than the next guy and dont want him play here, but my whole point was that his performance did not cost this team either the playoffs or the Superbowl. Now you could argue that it cost us playoff position, which is a valid argument, but in my eyes - which I'll admit, I dont remember Sunday's game very well, let alone 2009 or 2010 - I don't think was the case. 

Depends on your idea of cost.  If you think it doesn't "cost" wins if a QB doesn't score points for the Jets, while he does score points for the other team, until the game is out of reach, then I guess he didn't cost us anything.  Since I expect a QB to get the team on the scoreboard, particularly in the playoffs, I say he cost us the Pittsburgh game even with the D coming out flat.  They looked a lot flatter after all of this scrub's 3 & out's (even after the D came alive, like with Harris's pick, he put the D back onto the field like 30 seconds later).  Horrid.

Depends on your idea of cost.  If you think it doesn't "cost" wins if a QB doesn't score points for the Jets, while he does score points for the other team, until the game is out of reach, then I guess he didn't cost us anything.  Since I expect a QB to get the team on the scoreboard, particularly in the playoffs, I say he cost us the Pittsburgh game even with the D coming out flat.  They looked a lot flatter after all of this scrub's 3 & out's (even after the D came alive, like with Harris's pick, he put the D back onto the field like 30 seconds later).  Horrid.

Sanchez sucks. I think we can agree on that.

My point was that his tenure here wasnt even close to the worst 4 years of QB play in NFL history. I feel that while he made a sh*t ton of stupid mistakes, he still did enough to take us to two AFC Championship games. And while the ultimate goal is Superbowl, we hadnt been past the divisional round since 1998 and he didnt **** up enough to prevent us from getting past that point. 

Probably 1970 to 1980.

Every season consisted of Namath get hurt, and Weeb hardballing productive players like Riggins. Think of it; the Jets allowed arguably the best hard-charging running back of the era to hold out for a season and then trade him away for a bag of shells.

Didn't say it was high overall, but there have been stretches like sanchez playoff wins, Brad Smith at times, and say

Geno the first game against the Bills that have been excellent, I think the coaching and lack of protection have been

factors at times, I don''t think Sanchez played consistently bad all the time, Geno has had his moments in the sun,

and given a lot of time, could go through his reads and figure it out, he has at times been set up to fail, who would

want to play quarterback for the Jets right now?  It's as dangerous a job as their is, and that has to be on the coaches.

Sanchez has value, even if as a backup, Geno is a rookie and comparable to a lot of great signal callers at the

same stage of his career, Breeze was released by the Chargers with no contract offer, he got one offer after 

playing in San Diego for 4 or 5 years, he got a lot better in NO with Payton, he wasn't always good.

Testeverde had one of worst multi year runs as a qb in Tampa Bay, but was much later in his career

and Elway was terrible for several years throwing every game away, look at Romo, he gives away huge

games with blunders that only hollywood could come up with, Sanchez didn't do that and his blunders 

didn't come with the season on the line, I'd like to think Geno has the ability to stay cool under pressure.

That said, stat wise I think there are a lot of teams that have been worse than Sanchez / Geno / Smith / Tebow

over 5 years, check the Lions since 1970, even the Jags over the past 5 years,

Good QBs struggled early in their careers.

Geno Smith is struggling.

This does not mean Geno Smith is any good. And it discounts the Akili Smiths and David Klinglers and Dave Browns who did in fact struggle and wound up sucking.AGAIN someone on this board ignores logic to pretend Smith may be a HoFer instead of a bum by ignoring the similar failures in NFL history, of which there are many more.

Didn't say it was high overall, but there have been stretches like sanchez playoff wins, Brad Smith at times, and say

Geno the first game against the Bills that have been excellent, I think the coaching and lack of protection have been

factors at times, I don''t think Sanchez played consistently bad all the time, Geno has had his moments in the sun,

and given a lot of time, could go through his reads and figure it out, he has at times been set up to fail, who would

want to play quarterback for the Jets right now?  It's as dangerous a job as their is, and that has to be on the coaches.

Sanchez has value, even if as a backup, Geno is a rookie and comparable to a lot of great signal callers at the

same stage of his career, Breeze was released by the Chargers with no contract offer, he got one offer after 

playing in San Diego for 4 or 5 years, he got a lot better in NO with Payton, he wasn't always good.

Testeverde had one of worst multi year runs as a qb in Tampa Bay, but was much later in his career

and Elway was terrible for several years throwing every game away, look at Romo, he gives away huge

games with blunders that only hollywood could come up with, Sanchez didn't do that and his blunders 

didn't come with the season on the line, I'd like to think Geno has the ability to stay cool under pressure.

That said, stat wise I think there are a lot of teams that have been worse than Sanchez / Geno / Smith / Tebow

over 5 years, check the Lions since 1970, even the Jags over the past 5 years,  

I'm sure that you could go to just about any QB, yes even Ryan Leaf, Andre Ware even Browning Nagle and find "seviceable games", but to find a stretch of anything close to good Qb ing from any jets QB over the last 5 years would take lowering the standard of "good qb ing" to levels considered awful by most NFL experts.

You sit and watch this past Denver/Patriots game or watch New Orleans, Detroit, GB etc and just marvel at what a team can do with a REAL QB, you are never out of the game, you can get behind by 3 or 4 scores, you can run a 2 minute drill anytime, and then you watch a JETS game and literally cry at how bad the QB is.

Some day, all I am asking is Some day, have a REAL QB who can light it up at any time, bring you back in a game that looks like your dead in the water, throw for 350 and 4 tds etc, LITERALLY, we Never ever, as Jet fans see something like that, So depressing.

Every season consisted of Namath get hurt, and Weeb hardballing productive players like Riggins. Think of it; the Jets allowed arguably the best hard-charging running back of the era to hold out for a season and then trade him away for a bag of shells.

Riggens left as the first free agent in the history of the NFL and wanted to play for a competitor,

had he stayed, he would of course led the Jets to championships in the late 70's into the eighties,

wasn't a hold out as much as a get out, and he saw that because of what happened in baseball,

that he could declare himself a free agent and win in court, Riggens was a free spirit if they're ever was one,

and he would have made the Jets champions and himself a fortune in the NY market had he stayed,

he did have great line and a better field in Washington, the original Giant Stadium turff was concrete 

hard and brutal, so his body is in much better shape now, Redskins played the Jets on Coles/Moss

and got Riggins.  That's why they are cursed now, they wasted RG3-

5 years? How about 45 years?

Not completely. The Richard Todd years with Freeman McNeil were productive. The Ken Obrien/Wesley Walker?Al Toon years were fun, and of coursse Parcells/Vinny/Curtis were good years.

The Jets always seem to be just on the cusp of greatness and then disintegrate. I believe it was 1986 and they started 10-1 for Walt Micheals/Ken O'brien etc and were just steamrolling teams, and then I believe it was the NBC studio show, one of the first studio shows dedicated to basically to football all day, and one of the hosts stated emphatically that the "Jets would lose their final 5 games and implode in the playoffs", I dont remember who it was but he of course was 100% correct as they lost their last 5 limped into the playoffs, and then let Kozar come back on them in the playoff game.

1986 was a year I was certain the Jets were the best team in the NFL and they imploded. Typical.

Archived