Jets draft history is ugly

MexiRoll6

If only they had drafted a stud... like Carl Banks.  Or held out for a QB, like Boomer, Hostetler or Jay Schoeder. Who would want a guy that is top 20 all time in receptions, yards, TDs and all-purpose yards all time?

Wow, I guess compared to Key, he was worth a #1, and didnt know that his class was this bad. Were those really the top 3 QB's that year? sheesh. Wait, didnt 2 of them win SB's, Hoss with the Giants, and Schroeder with the Redskins? I could be wrong though.

Wow, I guess compared to Key, he was worth a #1, and didnt know that his class was this bad. Were those really the top 3 QB's that year? sheesh. Wait, didnt 2 of them win SB's, Hoss with the Giants, and Schroeder with the Redskins? I could be wrong though.

Haha!  Boomer was by far the class of that QB class.  Jay Schoeder got a super bowl ring sure, but they were losing 10-0 and I don't think he completed a pass before he was replaced by SB MVP Doug Williams.  Hostetler was basically a career backup who was carried by the Giants beastly D.  He and Schroeder both ended up pretty sh*tty starters in Oakland IIRC

While I am at it, Bryan Thomas and Jonathan Vilma were good Jets as well.  Thomas was very durable and long-tenured.  Vilma was an elite ILB that we just changed schemes on.  Ditto James Farrior - very good player, the fact that the Jets failed to keep him doesn't make him a bad draft pick.  Marvin Jones - another good Jet LB - he argurably underperformed, but was a solid ILB for a long time on some good teams, and please go back to that 93 draft and tell me what defensive players you'd rather have taken.  How about Aaron Glenn?  One of the Jets' alltime best CBs.  And again, go back to that draft and tell me what defensive player you would have drafted.

Also, during the AFL years the Jets drafted Matt Snell and Joe Namath in the first round.

Also, you forgot Sheldon Richardson, but who's counting at this point.

In sum, this thread is ass.

blair  Thomas was a bust. 2nd player picked, and he couldnt even catch a screen. BUST. all the way, but last 2 draft picks have been better. JETS GOT a steal on antonio Allen in the late rounds Allen  gonna be a ball hawk, next troy pal. youll see. he's gonna have a better career then his teammate that went to bills (Gilmore) in the 1st round. YOULL SEE.

Yeah, would also like to know (seriously) why Keyshawn Johnson was an awful pick.  Guy was very productive.

Because he was gone in a flash.  He had attitude problems and thought he was better than he actually was, but he was drafted in 1996 and was gone by 2000. And then he won a super bowl in Tampa.     If you draft a guy like him and he's gone after a few seasons, it's kind of a wasted pick.  It's one thing if he stuck around for ten years, its another that he played 4 seasons for the Jets and was traded away.  They did wind up getting Ellis because of that trade, who became one hell of a defensive player, but the reality is they never had another player like Johnson.   And Becht was a good TE, not great, and he was gone in 4 years as well.

And they always seem to dump offensive players or young players too early.  Abraham had his issues, but he was gone.  Vilma had his issues, but he was gone.  Revis had his money issues, but he was gone.    When you dump some of your better players all the time when they are still relatively young, it's hard  not to be rebuilding every few years.   

The Jets seem to do this often enough. This is why "hey build through the draft" rarely works for them because by the time some of these players hit their primes, the jets dump them.  ANd it's deja vu in we need to find this and that and something else.     Hell you had the Coles/Moss thing where after 2 seasons they let Coles walk and after what, 2 seasons they traded Moss for Coles.     Sometimes I wonder why they continue to trade away talented young players and keep guys like Sanchez around for 5 years and so on.  

Because he was gone in a flash.  He had attitude problems and thought he was better than he actually was, but he was drafted in 1996 and was gone by 2000. And then he won a super bowl in Tampa.     If you draft a guy like him and he's gone after a few seasons, it's kind of a wasted pick.  It's one thing if he stuck around for ten years, its another that he played 4 seasons for the Jets and was traded away.  They did wind up getting Ellis because of that trade, who became one hell of a defensive player, but the reality is they never had another player like Johnson.   And Becht was a good TE, not great, and he was gone in 4 years as well.

And they always seem to dump offensive players or young players too early.  Abraham had his issues, but he was gone.  Vilma had his issues, but he was gone.  Revis had his money issues, but he was gone.    When you dump some of your better players all the time when they are still relatively young, it's hard  not to be rebuilding every few years.   

The Jets seem to do this often enough. This is why "hey build through the draft" rarely works for them because by the time some of these players hit their primes, the jets dump them.  ANd it's deja vu in we need to find this and that and something else.     Hell you had the Coles/Moss thing where after 2 seasons they let Coles walk and after what, 2 seasons they traded Moss for Coles.     Sometimes I wonder why they continue to trade away talented young players and keep guys like Sanchez around for 5 years and so on.  

This makes no sense at all.  Have a player.  Get solid production out of him and then trade him for not one, but two first round picks.  How the **** is that a bust and how do you complain that he was gone so fast?  You don't trade a guy for two first round picks and then claim it was a wasted pick. 

Archived