Injury notes

F.Chowds

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Mike Goodson was one of the highly touted free agent signings afterNew York Jets general manager John Idzik took the job, but a late-night arrest for marijuana, an illegal gun and illegal ammunition charge took the running back off the field for a four-game suspension. 

Goodson

When Goodson did play -- he had 7 carries for 61 yards in the two games he played -- he looked good, but an MCL and ACL injury took him off the field for the rest of the season. On Monday, Goodson was in the locker room in the middle of a projected five-month recovery, following surgery he had prior to the Jets' bye week. 

“It was real frustrating,” Goodson said. "Starting off with those two games and they said they wanted to work me in slow. And when I was working in slow I was making plays. I felt myself coming along strong and then the injury. It’s discouraging and encouraging because I know what I can do. I’m going to rehab my knee, it’s feeling stronger and stronger every day, so just come back next year man, I’ll be ready.” 

Goodson said he will stay in the area during the offseason in order to continue to rehab with team trainers. He is on a three-year, $6.9 million deal with the Jets, but has been indicted on the weapons charges and could face a trial in the coming year. If convicted, Goodson could be sentenced for 10 years. 

He declines to talk about the legal issue, but said it wasn’t part of the consideration for staying in the area. Goodson said the Jets were encouraged by what he did on the field. 

“They said they liked what they saw,” Goodson said. 

Goodson wasn’t the only injured player to discuss his future on the last day of the season. 

Winslow

WINSLOW WANTS BACK: Jets TE Kellen Winslow Jr. said he hasn’t discussed a new deal with the Jets yet, but would want to return and play for the team. Winslow said he felt the team managed a persistent knee injury well during the season, giving him a day off from practice once each week. 

“I can play 16, it’s just all about getting to the game,” Winslow said. 

Winslow, drafted in 2004, had 31 catches for 388 yards this season. He know his knee could make another season. 

CRIBBS NOTES: Josh Cribbs, the KR/RB the Jets signed after the season started, had surgery immediately after he suffered a pectoral injury in December. There is a 4-5 month recovery window on the injury. 

“I hurt it on a Sunday, I had surgery that Friday,” Cribbs said. 

Cribbs, the former longtime Cleveland Brown, also weighed in on Rob Chudzinski's firing earlier in the day. 

"I thought he'd have more of a chance to put his niche on things, because that wasn't his team,” Cribbs said. “Those weren't the guys he drafted. I would've liked to have seen that regime play out." 

DESTROYER PACKAGE: Sheldon Richardson said the Jets have a name for the offensive formation they used yesterday -- the "Destroyer Package." It consisted of three defensive linemen in the backfield -- Richardson, Damon Harrison and Kenrick Ellis. Sheldon: "That's a cool 1,000 pounds." Richardson got the handoff and ran for 1 yard. 

Richardson also said DL coach Karl Dunbar, who has an expiring contract, should stay: "I don't think we're going to lose him." 

OPEN GATES: Clyde Gates, who had shoulder surgery after an October injury, said he hopes to be back next season. He is under contract, but had an issue with drops during a 24-catch, 122-yard season. 

THIS AND THAT: RB Chris Ivory has a hip pointer after sustaining the injury in the win over Miami. …WR Stephen Hill said there is no surgery planned on his injured knee, and he said trainers are trying to set up a rehab program that will strengthen i
t

Archived