Expect a different look to 2014 Idzik draft

SouthernJet

the last draft was good we build great depth on O and got a couple playmakers on D,  this draft should be the same but maybe we get a playmaker on O but i guess our depth is good we do need to draft a OLB  and some good WRs one of each, and hope your other pics  are bpa.

I there's a lot of projecting onto Idzik, without really knowing what he's got in mind. Last year he knew he was tearing down the roster, and had a couple year build ahead of him. This year, he might have more money and picks at his disposal than he ever will. If he again sticks with the lower cost vets, and doesn't do much (or any) moving around in the draft, we'll start to get a better picture of his philosophy.

He certainly comes across as pragmatic to me. But even the most pragmatic guy needs to know when to take his shot. He has the ammo to move around in this draft a little bit, and some glaring needs in the weaponz category. If he determines that there's one, two, three wide receivers well above the rest, it shouldn't surprise anyone if he makes a move up.

Don't think he's Tannenbaum-like in that he'll take pride in signing the highest paid free agents either, but again, he'll have some money to spend. It'll be interesting to see how he spends it. Will it be a lot of middle-class guys like Goodson, or will he make a big splash or two?

I'm not expecting him to fit any preconceived notions.

nice post

Yes, and in spite of all this talk about a new philosophy, unless he gets fired in the next few days, he will probably be Idzik's right hand man again when it comes to the draft

I've heard Rod Graves is ONLY true 'right hand man' to Idzik now in building as far as business side of ball (non gameday)

Gotcha - this is true.  Hopefully it helps in the later rounds where they basically came out with nothing out of the last draft...though Bohanon looks decent.

Sorry.... that read to me that you've given up on these guys :bag: I expect Campbell and Aboushi to show up in camp and compete for that RG spot. Don't see them bringing back Colon for anything other than vet minimum. Vlads gone!

I've heard Rod Graves is ONLY true 'right hand man' to Idzik now in building as far as business side of ball (non gameday)

Graves is the reason I said "unless he gets fired in the next few days" in regards to Bradway.

We have no way of knowing for sure, but I suspect if Bradway survives this week, he will be Idzik's go to guy as far as the draft is concerned, and Graves will be in charge of Pro football scouting, as in with FA scouting, and other football observations.

IMO it's a good thing Idzik has 2 former GM's as his advisers.  The GM job is just to huge a responsibility  for one guy to manage well 

Sorry.... that read to me that you've given up on these guys :bag: I expect Campbell and Aboushi to show up in camp and compete for that RG spot. Don't see them bringing back Colon for anything other than vet minimum. Vlads gone!

Vlad backed up every position on the Jets' OL this season. He may not've panned out as a second round pick, but I'd welcome him back as an inexpensive FA.

Gotcha - this is true.  Hopefully it helps in the later rounds where they basically came out with nothing out of the last draft...though Bohanon looks decent.

Yeah the 6th and 7th round are total crap shoots.  It looks like the Jets should have 8 picks in the first 5 rounds.  They should be able to find a good bit of help in that group.

I there's a lot of projecting onto Idzik, without really knowing what he's got in mind. Last year he knew he was tearing down the roster, and had a couple year build ahead of him. This year, he might have more money and picks at his disposal than he ever will. If he again sticks with the lower cost vets, and doesn't do much (or any) moving around in the draft, we'll start to get a better picture of his philosophy.

He certainly comes across as pragmatic to me. But even the most pragmatic guy needs to know when to take his shot. He has the ammo to move around in this draft a little bit, and some glaring needs in the weaponz category. If he determines that there's one, two, three wide receivers well above the rest, it shouldn't surprise anyone if he makes a move up.

Don't think he's Tannenbaum-like in that he'll take pride in signing the highest paid free agents either, but again, he'll have some money to spend. It'll be interesting to see how he spends it. Will it be a lot of middle-class guys like Goodson, or will he make a big splash or two?

I'm not expecting him to fit any preconceived notions.

Also the reason we didn't move up or down (really down) is because we couldn't get enough in return.  But the word at the time was that Idzik was trying to trade down when it was our pick at #9, and then again at #13.  This past year the trade chart went out the window earlier in round 1 because of a weak top of the draft, and that's likely the reason we didn't trade down.  Look at the terrible (on paper) value Buffalo got for dropping from #8 all the way down to #15.  In past years - or on paper - they should have gotten a LOT more than they did get.  They did it anyway because they saw it as found money; they were going to draft EJ Manuel at #8 anyway.  So if they trade down to 15 and draft him instead, any below-market compensation they got for the trade down is still more than they'd have gotten by staying pat at #8 and drafting him there.

We were not in that situation, where our top pick was a guy who wasn't projected in the top 15, so Idzik needed to get better value in return if he was to trade down.  He didn't get it so we stayed at 9 and 13.

Also it isn't accurate to say we didn't make any notable moves on draft day, since we did trade a higher 4th round pick for Chris Ivory.  It's not like trading a #1 pick away, but it isn't insignificant.

Vlad backed up every position on the Jets' OL this season. He may not've panned out as a second round pick, but I'd welcome him back as an inexpensive FA.

Not a popular opinion, but I agree 100% at this point, depending on what they do in the draft and FA.  I do think that Colon will be back.  The injury in week 17 probably helps the Jets in keeping his price down

Also the reason we didn't move up or down (really down) is because we couldn't get enough in return.  But the word at the time was that Idzik was trying to trade down when it was our pick at #9, and then again at #13.  This past year the trade chart went out the window earlier in round 1 because of a weak top of the draft, and that's likely the reason we didn't trade down.  Look at the terrible (on paper) value Buffalo got for dropping from #8 all the way down to #15.  In past years - or on paper - they should have gotten a LOT more than they did get.  They did it anyway because they saw it as found money; they were going to draft EJ Manuel at #8 anyway.  So if they trade down to 15 and draft him instead, any below-market compensation they got for the trade down is still more than they'd have gotten by staying pat at #8 and drafting him there.

We were not in that situation, where our top pick was a guy who wasn't projected in the top 15, so Idzik needed to get better value in return if he was to trade down.  He didn't get it so we stayed at 9 and 13.

Also it isn't accurate to say we didn't make any notable moves on draft day, since we did trade a higher 4th round pick for Chris Ivory.  It's not like trading a #1 pick away, but it isn't insignificant.

as always my friend, great post..

I assume you dont like, LOL, but I'd love to see TE Ebron as safety valve for Geno. Hands of glue, big, fast, mismatch for LBs, will be open all the time near line of scrimmage etc etc

That was the word, but we (on the outside) won't really know what he's willing to do until he does it.

Practically every year, I'm a major advocate for trading down. Especially thru the Bradway/Tannenbaum years, where they only traded up. But in a year like this where the Jets should take care of a lot of needs in free agency and have up to 12 draft picks (half of them in the first four rounds), I think I'd prefer to see the move up for a surer thing.

agree, and this guy had great 2012 season, was hurt in summer camp (ankle)  and had off year (bad ankle messed up throwing motion a tad) until finally injured halfway thru season. Was projected bottom 1st/2nd and base don 2013 season could easily drop to 3rd/4th:

North Carolina’s Bryn Renner shines at Manning Passing Academy

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 15, 2013, 4:04 PM EST
brynrenner-e1373918309548.jpg?w=245AP

Johnny Manziel’s case of dehydration got most of the attention at last weekend’s Manning Passing Academy. But while Manziel was leaving early, North Carolina quarterback Bryn Renner was impressing people with his on-field performance.

The Manning Passing Academy is a high school football camp, but it also functions as something of an early pro day for college quarterbacks, who take the field for passing drills that give NFL personnel people an early impression of their passing skills. And Renner showed off a particularly good arm, according to Mike Mayock of NFL Network.

“As far as the quarterbacks, the seniors, Bryn Renner from North Carolina, I thought he probably was the most polished of all the quarterbacks I saw,” Mayock said. “Great feet, bigger kid than I thought — 6-3, 220 — ball comes out beautifully.”

Mayock noted that Renner’s dad, former Packers punter Bill Renner, is respected as a coach of young players, and Renner looks like he’s been well coached for years.

“His father is a highly recognized high school coach, so it doesn’t surprise me that he’s so polished,” Mayock said.

It shouldn’t surprise anyone if Renner — who completed 65.4 percent of his passes and threw 28 touchdowns and seven interceptions last season — is a first-round pick in the 2014 NFL draft.

I would love Renner late in the draft (5-7, 5 bc of the position). I like him as draft JAG QBs go. 

That was the word, but we (on the outside) won't really know what he's willing to do until he does it.

Practically every year, I'm a major advocate for trading down. Especially thru the Bradway/Tannenbaum years, where they only traded up. But in a year like this where the Jets should take care of a lot of needs in free agency and have up to 12 draft picks (half of them in the first four rounds), I think I'd prefer to see the move up for a surer thing.

It seems reasonable and fits what we saw, being that we took our full amount of time with both picks.  With Geno's pick, I think we made the pick with time left on the clock (but I'm not sure now), which would suggest we were not looking to trade down unless someone called us with a too-good-to-pass offer in that first minute.

This is a huge off season for him -- he has a chance to really put his stamp on this team.  There are big time receivers and tight ends available.  He can't arrord to miss on this early round picks -- Jets need to bring in a couple of difference makers.  Imagine a legit threat at TE and WR -- will open up the passing game and the runnin game. Will take pressure of the defense and balance out the team more.  Most critical draft in a long time.

Archived