DeMarcus Ware

Lupz27

Valid argument, but I just don't think we're one player away from a championship within the next two years and as Slats mentioned, I'd rather use that money on younger guys that can be with us for four or 5 years.    e.g Nicks, Sanders...   

I still wouldn't be upset with it happening, just wouldn't be thrilled as it's not a move I'd like to make.  I understand all the positives and your contract was well formulated, it's just not the move I hope we make.  

I'm with BJ12,

Positionally speaking, I just kinda figured we would spend this offseason shoring up the offense and fixing the secondary.  Just because Ware becomes available doesn't mean we need to adjust our priorities and alter the game plan.  He might be a fantastic player, with more juice in the tank than we know.  But more likely than not, he'll be an expensive band-aid on a bruise while we ignore the blatant scrapes surrounding it. 

I picture us getting viable longer-termed, less expensive options like Jason Worlids or a draft pick, and getting Barnes back to health while we milk Calvin Pace for another season. If we fix the secondary Rex can manufacture a pass rush with the best of them.  Even Garrett McIntyre is growing into a role *ducks tomato* where he can be a reliable rotation player.  

Spend smart.  Distribute spending (the injury rate in today's NFL is trending upward, a single high priced addition in the trainer's room does the team no good).  Target talent with upside.  Cross fingers.  

I tend to agree. This is a move you make if you see your team one pass-rusher away from the Super Bowl in the immediate future. That's not how I'd describe today's Jets. I'd be spending the bigger money on younger players I want to grow with my team, and supplementing that with inexpensive veterans (the Kellen Winslows and Calvin Paces of the world).

I just think the Jets are in a great position here to rebuild the team in one offseason, a position that gets compromised if they spend a quarter of their cap space on a 32 year old Ware.

Stupid Slate is making sense.  Clearly, he is comprehending.

I say this on almost every thread that's about signing a player.

There are posters here that don't want to sign anyone for anyone for any money.

What do you think we should spend the 40 mil we have to spend? Because what some posters can't seem to get is that the Jets HAVE to spend up to like 92% of the cap. There is a bottom to the cap.

* just checked. It's 89%

So that means the Jets have to spend 117.48 mil in 2014. With cutting he three players we expect them to cut the Jets will be $50 mil under the $132 mil cap. So the have spent $82 mil. The have to spend at least $34.5 mil somewhere. And the draft does not use that much.

Orakpo

Vick

Maclin

Sanders

Delmas

Archived