QB Henne resigns with Jacksonsville

faba

Chad Henne agrees to 2-year deal
Updated: March 7, 2014, 2:59 PM ET
By Michael DiRocco | ESPN.com

The Jacksonville Jaguars and quarterback Chad Henne have agreed on a two-year contract, the team announced Friday.

The deal comes four days before the beginning of free agency and one day before Henne could have begun negotiations with other teams.

Henne, who signed a two-year deal worth $6.75 million with the Jaguars in 2012, started 13 games and threw for 3,421 yards and 13 touchdowns with 14 interceptions in 2013. He became the first Jaguars quarterback to throw for more than 3,000 yards in a season sinceDavid Garrard in 2009.

Henne's return could further cloud the future ofBlaine Gabbert, who has struggled with injuries and inconsistency since being drafted 10th overall in 2011. Jacksonville is expected to take a quarterback with the third pick in May's draft.  Gabbert won the starting job last season but started only three games because of injuries and eventually lost the starting job to Henne. Gabbert is entering the final year of his contract and his salary for 2014 is guaranteed.

The 28-year-old Henne led the Jaguars to a 4-4 record in the second half of the season after an 0-8 start and had nine TD passes and five interceptions in the final five games. And he did it without any elite weapons. He lost his best receiver (Justin Blackmon) to an indefinite suspension, didn't get much help from tight end Marcedes Lewis until the last month because of a calf injury, and lost his second-best receiver (Cecil Shorts) for the final three weeks because of a sports hernia.

Henne has a 5-14 record as a starter in two seasons with the Jaguars after spending the first four years of his career with Miami. He went 13-18 as a starter with the Dolphins.

Big difference. Henne is decent, Sanchez is AWFUL.

remind me not to hire you as an agent ;)

not disagreeing but this deal probably represents absolute floor for what sanchez can expect, unless he lands as a starter somewhere in which case he will get much more

remind me not to hire you as an agent ;)

not disagreeing but this deal probably represents absolute floor for what sanchez can expect, unless he lands as a starter somewhere in which case he will get much more

I agree basically. Some team like Oakland, or Cleveland (Pettine), or errrr THE JETS, will somehow overlook 4 years of just deplorable play at the QB position and pay this guy 3-4 million per. If I saw this and I was Jamarcus Russell, I would start tossing it around in the backyard.

I agree basically. Some team like Oakland, or Cleveland (Pettine), or errrr THE JETS, will somehow overlook 4 years of just deplorable play at the QB position and pay this guy 3-4 million per. If I saw this and I was Jamarcus Russell, I would start tossing it around in the backyard.

i was going to blast you and say that sanchez has started a bucketload more games then henne which is definitely worth something. but i was surprised to see he has only started 12 more games (62 to 50). so instead i rely on sanchez's playoff experience to justify a team paying more for mark to be a backup than this contract. i actually think he will be a starter next year which makes all this academic, probably.

i was going to blast you and say that sanchez has started a bucketload more games then henne which is definitely worth something. but i was surprised to see he has only started 12 more games (62 to 50). so instead i rely on sanchez's playoff experience to justify a team paying more for mark to be a backup than this contract. i actually think he will be a starter next year which makes all this academic, probably.

Lets hope we play the team he is starting for as our interception stats the past few years has been abysmal and he is sure to help that stat.

Lets hope we play the team he is starting for as our interception stats the past few years has been abysmal and he is sure to help that stat.

it would be great to get sanchez to restructure and then try to dump him off on clevland or oakland to remove a suitor from the johnny football sweepstakes

it would be great to get sanchez to restructure and then try to dump him off on clevland or oakland to remove a suitor from the johnny football sweepstakes

Does taking Sanchez, even for a team that wants to start him, really preclude you from drafting Manziel, et al? If anything I'd almost call that a good plan... He's your vet back-up at worst or he starts 10 games and you work your guy in slowly.

Does taking Sanchez, even for a team that wants to start him, really preclude you from drafting Manziel, et al? If anything I'd almost call that a good plan... He's your vet back-up at worst or he starts 10 games and you work your guy in slowly.

i'm led to believe that if you trade for sanchez and use your top pick on an elite weapon that he will shine

Archived