Marriage With Eagles Could be Perfect For Sanchez

flgreen

The only thing perfect about it, is the part where Sanchez is a backup.

Yup.  If not for the history with the team, he'd be a fine backup here.  Even with his history I'd take him over Vick, who I wouldn't want if Sanchez was $13M and Vick was willing to take the league minimum.  And I have no love for the sight of Sanchez in a Jets uniform. 

I don't hate the gamble by the Eagles, and yeah if Sanchez can be an adult I think Kelly will be a positive influence. Sanchez doesn't lack physical talent or anything, he was/is just kind of a clown/a$$hole. 

I don't think he's as talented as he got credit for.  People posted lots of clips of him from USC.  A very high number of his big plays & TD passes the receiver was not only wide open, but Sanchez's throw was off by as much as a yard or more.  Thing is, the coverage was often more than 2 yards away (if even that), so his receiver could break stride, reduce speed by 80% until the ball got there, catch it, and continue into the EZ for an easy TD.  

In the NFL, conversely, a throw that shy or that off is picked off.  And we saw it first-hand, over and over and over.

Hell, that awful would-be TD throw to Hill against NE may have still been a TD at USC because there would be no DB in the area.  Except against NE there was, and his throw - 10 yards short - was picked off (quite easily, I might add) and Hill never had a shot at it.

Backs like Greene weren't such great receivers, but the guy would throw off-target fastballs at the crown of his helmet from point-blank range.  Greene's a below-average receiver with his hands at his mid-section, wide open, expecting a pass into his breadbox.  Sanchez gives him 0.04 seconds to react and get his hands up above his face and set and catch a pass that came in too hard for that distance (considering that it was 2-3 feet off-target even from 5 yards away).  

In other words, while Greene isn't an asset as a receiver out of the backfield, Sanchez did him no favors.  Same thing with the rest of his receivers (like that throw to Cumberland: I think Cumberland should have caught it, but instead of hitting him in the #s for an easy toss & catch, he fired an unnecessary fastball so high 6'4" tall Cumberland had to do a full extension just to manage to get hands on it.  His location is and was terrible.  Every now and then a throw would be perfect & right on the money, but that's just the law of averages at work.  Even a lousy shot at archery will hit the bullseye sometimes given enough arrows fired.  Sanchez dropping back to pass 500x a year = same thing.  As many as 50 really good or even great throws, if there were that many, means 450+ weren't.

The guy has some talent (hidden behind his awful, childish attitude), but he doesn't have nearly the talent some think.  By NFL QB standards, the guy sucks. 

The guy has some talent (hidden behind his awful, childish attitude), but he doesn't have nearly the talent some think.  By NFL QB standards, the guy sucks. 

I think his childishness and immaturity has killed him way more than his talent. No clue who some is but I think saying Sanchez has some physical talent, which he does, is being blown a bit out of proportion unless I'm doing something like underrating the depth of the QB position in the league (I'm not). Been saying for a while now that he's the best bet of all recent QB busts to pull something out of his career. The arm injury and "year off" to rehab and ponder might do a silver spoon guy like himself some good. That attitude he came into the league with does make him impossible to root for. 

I think his childishness and immaturity has killed him way more than his talent. No clue who some is but I think saying Sanchez has some physical talent, which he does, is being blown a bit out of proportion unless I'm doing something like underrating the depth of the QB position in the league (I'm not). Been saying for a while now that he's the best bet of all recent QB busts to pull something out of his career. The arm injury and "year off" to rehab and ponder might do a silver spoon guy like himself some good. That attitude he came into the league with does make him impossible to root for. 

You think his attitude is the reason he can't throw a football on-target with any consistency?

You think his attitude is the reason he can't throw a football on-target with any consistency?

I think his immaturity and unearned ego played a massive part in why he bombed with the Jets, yes. His main problem coming out of college was that he barely topped a dozen starts at a position that requires you to be the man of the house. That level of experience for a guy who's been told he's a blue chip QB prospect since HS...I find and found the lack of experience way more damning than a few passes on Youtube that weren't perfect.

Oh and another major thing - and I do think his general inexperience and immaturity played a part in this: He ended up falling apart mechanically with the Jets. Mechanics were an actual strength in college, they allowed for some projection on his ability to throw with touch and accuracy, but by mid-2011 he was a jumpy, twitchy, nervous animal in the pocket. 

Archived