I'm starting to think it's all smoke

slats

Again, it's not that Cumberland's presence is prohibitive in terms of reps or money. It's just that we usually don't use the first pick on a position where we're returning the prior year's starter. Gholston and Coples are the exceptions in the last ten years. We also almost always bring a college teammate of the first pick in for a visit also. Only recent exception to this one that I know of is Wilson and I don't think anybody else from Boise made a roster that year. The visit itself is still the most important thing so you can't rule out Ebron, but the best fits are Beckham and Fuller, followed by the other receivers and corners in the value range, followed by whatever TE and S prospects we have graded in the first.

It is not "rare" unless that returning starter is outstanding and signed to a team-friendly deal. Then it is rare.

Cumberland is not outstanding, though. He is a backup plan in case we can't land a guy the team views as a long-term answer.

Lol.  Yeah, totally rare.

Lions re-sign Pettigrew - their starter last season - for more than double Cumberland's annual pay, and 8X the guaranteed money Cumberland got from the Jets.  Then they burn a top 10 pick on a TE.

#Idzik

#Idzik

:)

Has nothing to do with whether or not anyone thinks the move is good or bad.  The notion that this is a rare practice is both baseless and absurd.  It is quite common.  It is a fantasy among some fans - and particularly among TV draft "gurus" - that every team drafts for its most obvious immediate need.

It is not "rare" unless that returning starter is outstanding and signed to a team-friendly deal. Then it is rare.

No. It is rare because it doesn't happen often. Two times in ten years the first pick didn't come at a position where we lost a starter. Pryor/Reed, Milliner/Revis, Wilkerson/Douglas, Wilson/Sheppard, Sanchez/Favre, Revis/Barrett, Ferguson/Fabini, Nugent/Brien. Quantifiable. Verifiable. I'm not even sure what your point is here or why this is hard.

No. It is rare because it doesn't happen often. Two times in ten years the first pick didn't come at a position where we lost a starter. Pryor/Reed, Milliner/Revis, Wilkerson/Douglas, Wilson/Sheppard, Sanchez/Favre, Revis/Barrett, Ferguson/Fabini, Nugent/Brien. Quantifiable. Verifiable. I'm not even sure what your point is here or why this is hard.

You are making up arguments. The Jets aren't even thinking of this. 

:)

Has nothing to do with whether or not anyone thinks the move is good or bad. The notion that this is a rare practice is both baseless and absurd. It is quite common. It is a fantasy among some fans - and particularly among TV draft "gurus" - that every team drafts for its most obvious immediate need.

I'm not talking about every team or most obvious needs. What I'm saying is objective fact. In the last ten years the Jets' first picks come at a position of a departed starter by a 4:1 margin. It's a solid trend. Held this year, assuming Reed counts. Why is this a big problem, seriously?

I'm not talking about every team or most obvious needs. What I'm saying is objective fact. In the last ten years the Jets' first picks come at a position of a departed starter by a 4:1 margin. It's a solid trend. Held this year, assuming Reed counts. Why is this a big problem, seriously?

It is neither a rarity with the Jets nor in the NFL in general.

Archived