Aug. 12, 2014 - Camp updates.

pointman

Also, EVERYONE said he's going to be out week 1. Thanks tweet derper (not you pointman).

More like, okay we get it, fans are going chicken little over the CB "situation" so lets ONLY report on every negative thing we see in practice. 

Not one single positive observation is being tweeted. Our fanbase is so easily worked over by these media hackjobs.

Exactly.  I'm not defending the drops, far from it, I'm just pointing out the inconsistency.  This honestly cannot be the first day we've suffered from drops, yet it's one of the first times I remember it being tallied.  When Hill does something positive, it's "he can't do it in the regular season" and when he does something negative, it's "worst pick ever.."  Pre-season is about usage, not stats. God I can't wait for the regular season.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks bro

he really said this ?  there are no ""

Defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman confirms Pryor will play with the first team.

Our secondary is beat up, and we have our 4th string corner playing with the one's and our 2nd team safety playing at the CB position. It's not pretty, and I think the front office are taking deserved criticism for their lack of planning.

Sorry.  Click the link.  The quote was in a tweet that didn't show up because it was a jpg. The rest, including the part you put in bold, was from the blogger. Here is a more legitimate article.

CORTLAND, N.Y. – Near the end of Tuesday’s rainy practice, reserve rookie quarterback Tajh Boyd completed a pass to wide receiver Saalim Hakim, who ran a slant route. Safety Calvin Pryor, the Jets’ first-round draft pick, popped Hakim and knocked him on his butt. Pryor’s defensive teammates came over to congratulate him – happy, as they were, to see Pryor demonstrate the primary reason the Jets wanted him.

Pryor’s hit did not technically violate the Jets’ no-tackling edict for training camp practices. Players are allowed to “thud” tackle, by bumping into each other, and that’s what Pryor did. He will have an opportunity to do much more in Saturday’s second preseason game, at the Bengals. The Jets envision Pryor as a disruptive, hard-hitting presence in their starting secondary – and that is just where they will place him Saturday.

Coach Rex Ryan and defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman said Pryor would definitely get first-team reps against the Bengals, though they did not specify if he would start.

Pryor sustained a concussion on July 26, the third day of camp, and the first day in full pads. He worked with the first-team defense on the first two days, rotating with Dawan Landry and Antonio Allen.

On Saturday, when the Jets returned to Cortland, Pryor fully participated in full-speed team periods for the first time since suffering the concussion. After three days of practicing with the second- and third-stringers in team periods, Pryor on Tuesday returned to action with the first string, though he did not play nearly every first-team snap, because the Jets want to ease him back in.

Pryor replaced Dawan Landry in the first-team secondary in the first segment of team periods Tuesday. Pryor played alongside Jaiquawn Jarrett – his primary safety partner on Tuesday – as Ellis Lankster and Allen manned the cornerback spots for the second straight day. The Jets also used the Landry-Jarrett starting safety pairing Monday.

The Jets want to get Pryor as much work as possible, to catch him up. So he continued to play with the second-team defense Tuesday, in addition to his work with the starters. Pryor said over the weekend that he was looking forward to hitting again. He got a chance to do it late in Tuesday’s practice while playing with the backups.

“It was a minor hit,” Pryor said with a smile. “(Hakim) caught the ball on a slant. I was coming downhill. Just a little love tap. Nothing too serious.”

Did Hakim say anything to him afterward?

“Nah,” Pryor said. “I think he was kind of mad. He just walked back to the huddle, so he didn’t really say too much.”

Despite how much time Pryor has missed, Thurman remains excited about his potential.

“Oh, he’s back,” Thurman said. “He’s healthy. He’s picking up the defense. I think the guy has a chance to be big time. We are working him back in.”

Thurman said there is “no question” Pryor will work with the first-team defense against the Bengals. 

That was news to Pryor.

“(Thurman) hasn’t told me that, but it’s good to hear,” Pryor said. “I’m excited. I’ll be ready.”

Ryan said Pryor will also play “a lot” of reps with the backups against the Bengals, because “he needs to play. We’ll give him some opportunities.”

Pryor will take as many snaps as he can get, regardless of who he plays alongside.

“I just need to get my reps back,” he said. “The reps I missed were so important, not being out there with my teammates, communicating with everybody, not having the feel for everybody. Once I’m back out there getting a lot of reps with everyone, I can just get the feel back and have a feel for the game and just communicate with those guys and be on the same page.”

“I wouldn’t say I’m really behind. I’m just trying to communicate with everybody, because now they’re throwing me out there with different guys. Everyone thinks different. So I have to be aware of who I’m out there with. Maybe I talk more. Or, if I’m out there with guys like Dawan Landry or (Jarrett), I might not have to talk as much. They just put me in a position to play football.”

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/08/calvin_pryor_returns_to_first-team_action_with_a_little_love_tap_hit_that_knocks_saalim_hakim_on_his.html

Sorry.  Click the link.  The quote was in a tweet that didn't show up because it was a jpg. The rest, including the part you put in bold, was from the blogger. Here is a more legitimate article.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/08/calvin_pryor_returns_to_first-team_action_with_a_little_love_tap_hit_that_knocks_saalim_hakim_on_his.html

Good stuff. I like Thurman now. Glad someone is calling out the front office for this nonsense.

Good stuff. I like Thurman now. Glad someone is calling out the front office for this nonsense.

Either you are being sarcastic or I guess I wasn't clear in my post.  That quote was not Thurman.  It was some blogger named David Wyatt.  The only quote from Thurman was saying "Oh definitely, no question." when asked if Pryor was going to play with the first team against the Bengals. 

Either you are being sarcastic or I guess I wasn't clear in my post.  That quote was not Thurman.  It was some blogger named David Wyatt.  The only quote from Thurman was saying "Oh definitely, no question." when asked if Pryor was going to play with the first team against the Bengals. 

My fault. I didn't read previous posts. I only read what was in your post there and it appeared like a quote. 

So here's the line I didn't like:

Pryor’s hit did not technically violate the Jets’ no-tackling edict for training camp practices.

I just hope they don't go all thru training camp without tackling. Sometimes, they don't tackle so good. They should practice that once in a while.

So here's the line I didn't like:

Pryor’s hit did not technically violate the Jets’ no-tackling edict for training camp practices.

I just hope they don't go all thru training camp without tackling. Sometimes, they don't tackle so good. They should practice that once in a while.

I think you are missing the point.  I am pretty sure that has to do with the limited full contact workouts in the new CBA.  I'm sure the Jets are practicing hitting and tackling as much as they are allowed.  Probably a little more than they are allowed, but the limited full contact work surely hurts.. 

Archived