Who was the last NFL post 3rd rounder...

bergenjets

Stephen hill was a physical freak with a 2nd round grade on him. mcdougle missed most of his last year in college with an injury and had a 5th round grade. there is definitely an argument there. throw in the fact that idzik was basically relying on him to be a starter, considering he couldn't/didn't/failed to bring in a starter at corner

McDougle may have missed most if the last yr, but his talent wasn't in question. He had a 5th round grade (I saw it as high as a 3rd round grade) due to his injury risk. Hill on the other hand was labelled as raw with drop issues and barely averaged 2-3 catches a game. No real production there. Don't get me wrong, hindsight is 20/20 and I was excited to have such a burner after wk1. His downfall started after his wk1 debut when he suddenly raised his own expectations by a mile. And I don't think teams look too deep in to someone being a physical demon. It means nothing without skills. See Gholston as well. Jets FO saw the raw abilities (assumed abilities that may not even exist) in him n thought they can bring it out. We had the same issue with that 2nd round guard we drafted a few yrs ago (name?).

McDougle is a 3rd rounder. If he busts, it's not that high of an investment. He has potential either way. I prefer we take such risks in later rounds anyway and draft with security in the first couple of rounds.

McDougle may have missed most if the last yr, but his talent wasn't in question. He had a 5th round grade (I saw it as high as a 3rd round grade) due to his injury risk. Hill on the other hand was labelled as raw with drop issues and barely averaged 2-3 catches a game. No real production there. Don't get me wrong, hindsight is 20/20 and I was excited to have such a burner after wk1. His downfall started after his wk1 debut when he suddenly raised his own expectations by a mile. And I don't think teams look too deep in to someone being a physical demon. It means nothing without skills. See Gholston as well. Jets FO saw the raw abilities (assumed abilities that may not even exist) in him n thought they can bring it out. We had the same issue with that 2nd round guard we drafted a few yrs ago (name?).

McDougle is a 3rd rounder. If he busts, it's not that high of an investment. He has potential either way. I prefer we take such risks in later rounds anyway and draft with security in the first couple of rounds.

this

If you draft an injury prone guy and he gets hurt, it is on you. I think McDougle just had the one shoulder injury. Anyone can get hurt once. So I do not hold that against the team. Now, he has had two. It may be that he is injury prone. But there was no way to make that claim at the time of the draft. And can we let these guys play a little before declaring them obsolete?

McDougle had three separate, unrelated injuries in college that all led to him missing games. Twice they ended his season. I don't know how much he may've been nicked up on top of that. He came into the league as an injury prone player, so I guess that's on Idzik.

The guy appears to have talent, the Jets had obviously targeted him from the onset, and I really have no problem with them taking the chance. Idzik likes his injury discounts. Where they really screwed up, knowing they had the injury prone Milliner already starting on one side of the field and targeting another injury prone guy in the draft, was failing to sign a durable CB in a deep free agent market. Patterson was always hurt. And when he wasn't hurt, he sucked. And when he wasn't hurt or sucking, he was AWOL. Total notch job by the front office at the CB position.

The good news about McDougle and all his injuries was that previous to this one, he'd never had anything to do with his legs. He's got a real uphill battle coming off an ACL next year. The Jets will have to make the position a priority again next offseason - and do a much better job.

McDougle had three separate, unrelated injuries in college that all led to him missing games. Twice they ended his season. I don't know how much he may've been nicked up on top of that. He came into the league as an injury prone player, so I guess that's on Idzik.

The guy appears to have talent, the Jets had obviously targeted him from the onset, and I really have no problem with them taking the chance. Idzik likes his injury discounts. Where they really screwed up, knowing they had the injury prone Milliner already starting on one side of the field and targeting another injury prone guy in the draft, was failing to sign a durable CB in a deep free agent market. Patterson was always hurt. And when he wasn't hurt, he sucked. And when he wasn't hurt or sucking, he was AWOL. Total notch job by the front office at the CB position.

The good news about McDougle and all his injuries was that previous to this one, he'd never had anything to do with his legs. He's got a real uphill battle coming off an ACL next year. The Jets will have to make the position a priority again next offseason - and do a much better job.

Right. Thanks. I was only familiar with the shoulder thing last year. So you could say Idzik took a bigger risk, for sure. But I do not fault him. There are just too many sob sisters on this site. It gets annoying.

If you draft an injury prone guy and he gets hurt, it is on you. I think McDougle just had the one shoulder injury. Anyone can get hurt once. So I do not hold that against the team. Now, he has had two. It may be that he is injury prone. But there was no way to make that claim at the time of the draft. And can we let these guys play a little before declaring them obsolete?

They signed an Injury prone Patterson who missed 33 games in the last 3 seasons.   They drafted a 3rd round CB who missed most of last season due to injury and many experts thought he would go in the 5th round, not 3rd.    And this is after they drafted a CB with the 9th pick last year who sucked most of the season and had nagging injury problems himself.  

Somehow one of the top CBs taken in the draft last year might take a year or two or three to become a good CB in the NFL, but a guy who most thought would be taken in the 5th round suddenly becomes a starter in his rookie year?  And was supposed to be good from the start?  How does that make any sense?

When that is what counts as the hope for the Secondary, it's a serious problem and it is on the GM.    And we all assume Milliner will be healthy and great.  The guy sucked for 90 percent of last season, so there isn't a guarantee he'll suddenly be a pro bowler, we just hope he becomes one.  The problem is a GM shouldn't just hope one guy is great and hope some 3rd round pick coming off an injury is great from the start and some injury prone backup player coming off an injury is great as well.   Even people who play some fantasy madden league would think that's dumb, much less a GM who gets paid millions to make these moves.  

Yet somehow many fans give Idzik a pass for the CB situation.    We know he ignored the WR situation last year and it was a disaster.  Somehow we all should expect the ignored CB situation to 'work itself out' through miracles.   That really worked well for the WRs last season.

They signed an Injury prone Patterson who missed 33 games in the last 3 seasons.   They drafted a 3rd round CB who missed most of last season due to injury and many experts thought he would go in the 5th round, not 3rd.    And this is after they drafted a CB with the 9th pick last year who sucked most of the season and had nagging injury problems himself.  

Somehow one of the top CBs taken in the draft last year might take a year or two or three to become a good CB in the NFL, but a guy who most thought would be taken in the 5th round suddenly becomes a starter in his rookie year?  And was supposed to be good from the start?  How does that make any sense?

When that is what counts as the hope for the Secondary, it's a serious problem and it is on the GM.    And we all assume Milliner will be healthy and great.  The guy sucked for 90 percent of last season, so there isn't a guarantee he'll suddenly be a pro bowler, we just hope he becomes one.  The problem is a GM shouldn't just hope one guy is great and hope some 3rd round pick coming off an injury is great from the start and some injury prone backup player coming off an injury is great as well.   Even people who play some fantasy madden league would think that's dumb, much less a GM who gets paid millions to make these moves.  

Yet somehow many fans give Idzik a pass for the CB situation.    We know he ignored the WR situation last year and it was a disaster.  Somehow we all should expect the ignored CB situation to 'work itself out' through miracles.   That really worked well for the WRs last season.

I do not assume Milliner will be great. And all Patterson ever was was a stopgap. I knew that from the start. He would still be here if he had not turned into an idiot. The emphasis on CB is silly to me. I think the Jets should play more zone, get more turnovers, and i think Idzik believes that too. You do not need great cornerbacks to win in this league. New England has been proving that for the last decade.

Archived