Where's all this Dan Quinn talk coming from?

IPBanBadPosters

yes that's because professionals gain experience and learn new things; rex doesn't even want to learn. every year same cycle with Rex:

Pre-season: Boyitellya, I am lost when the offense is on the field. we brought in [iNSERT NAME OF NEXT FUTURE SCAPEGOAT HERE] to run the offense and whoo boy i'm just gonna stay out of the way and let the master work

Week 8: We got whipped alright. I'm going to get a little more involved, [sCAPEGOAT] is doing a fine job but it's up to me as HC to provide the strategic identity for the team. so i might say "run it here, throw it there" but i'm not gonna call plays. no sir-ee i sure am not qualified to do that!

Week 12: I realize i just need to back off a bit and trust my guys to do their jobs, and that includes guys on the sidelines, the coaches. I have to accept what i know and what i don't know and gee whiz bang buck rogers ole rexy boy don't know spit about no offense!

One week after final game: today, we terminated the contract of [sCAPEGOAT], we just felt that with all of the challenges on offense, we needed to go a different direction. [iNEFFECTIVE STARTING QB] is our starter next year. 

Wow.

This so accurate.

And sad.

On topic, I don't want an "Offensive minded" or "Defensive minded" guy.

I want a Head Coach.

This notion that we absolutely must hire a HC with an offensive background is just silly.  Just because Rex neglects the offense doesn't mean every defensive coach will do the same.  The Jets should hire the best candidate.  Not the best offense-oriented candidate.

One thing I never understood--why can't a great defensive coach at least have some clue as to what types of offense are difficult to gameplan for and try to build that? And further, why isn't Rex able to turn that defensive genius brain of his on to say "Hey Brian/Tony/Marty, the Bills run X type of defense, the best way to attack it is to do Y, Z."

I know dude. Been saying it since year 1.

yes that's because professionals gain experience and learn new things; rex doesn't even want to learn. every year same cycle with Rex:

Pre-season: Boyitellya, I am lost when the offense is on the field. we brought in [iNSERT NAME OF NEXT FUTURE SCAPEGOAT HERE] to run the offense and whoo boy i'm just gonna stay out of the way and let the master work

Week 8: We got whipped alright. I'm going to get a little more involved, [sCAPEGOAT] is doing a fine job but it's up to me as HC to provide the strategic identity for the team. so i might say "run it here, throw it there" but i'm not gonna call plays. no sir-ee i sure am not qualified to do that!

Week 12: I realize i just need to back off a bit and trust my guys to do their jobs, and that includes guys on the sidelines, the coaches. I have to accept what i know and what i don't know and gee whiz bang buck rogers ole rexy boy don't know spit about no offense!

One week after final game: today, we terminated the contract of [sCAPEGOAT], we just felt that with all of the challenges on offense, we needed to go a different direction. [iNEFFECTIVE STARTING QB] is our starter next year. 

As is the case with most over-promoted professionals, he figured out the formula for job security. 

One thing I never thought was authentic was his brash bullsh*t. He's an insecure man, and insecure people function out of self-preservation and fear. It should come as no surprise that he developed a gameplan for throwing people under the bus to extend the life of his HC career. I've been surrounded with people like that most of my career.

Week 8: We got whipped alright. I'm going to get a little more involved, [sCAPEGOAT] is doing a fine job but it's up to me as HC to provide the strategic identity for

the team. so i might say "run it here, throw it there" but i'm not gonna call plays. no sir-ee i sure am not qualified to do that!

Honestly, no coach should be allowed to go through 3 offensive coordinators.  Unless he makes the playoffs 9 out of 10 years, of course. Or unless they keep becoming HCs themselves.

Archived