Pace on the move? or to sign long term?

Mean Papi Green

Updated: Mar. 14, 2005, 11:57 AM ET

Pace, Rams have been talking long-term deal

By John Clayton, ESPN.com

Orlando Pace's days as the franchise player of the St. Louis Rams may be coming to an end.

Two days before a March 16 deadline to get a long-term contract with the Rams, Pace and his new agent, Kennard McGuire, flew to Houston on Monday to visit the Texans with hope of facilitating a trade that would end his eight-year career as the Rams left tackle.

The Rams have franchised him for three consecutive years. Under terms of the franchise designation, the Rams have until March 16 to work out a long-term contract and regain the ability to franchise a player next year. Any long agreement reached between March 16 and July 15 would cost the team the franchise tag for the length of that contract.

Pace and the Rams have been discussing a long-term deal for the past two weeks. At different points during the past month, there have been thoughts that the Rams would either trade Pace or that the former Ohio State offensive line would ask to be traded.

The fact that Pace is spending Monday in Houston shows that he is willing to move to a different team. It's his right as an unsigned franchise player to visit other teams and talk contract, but the timing of Monday's visit signifies questions in his mind whether he can get a long-term deal done with the Rams.

The 29-year-old former first-round pick recently hired McGuire and Fletcher Smith two weeks ago after not having an agent since the middle of the season. McGuire, who accompanied Pace on the trip to Houston, was unavailable for comment.

The Rams would have to receive two first-round picks if Pace signs an offer sheet, but if Pace's intentions are to go to the Texans, it would be more likely the two teams would have to work out a trade for a first-round choice and something more. At the Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, the New York Giants and a couple other teams heard initial inquiries from the Rams about the possibility of trading Pace.

Those thoughts died down when Pace hired his new agents. The Rams were excited about Pace hiring agents in time to do a long-term contract before the start of their offseason program.

Pace was the first selection in the 1997 draft. He signed his first contract Aug. 16 after a long holdout. He's been to two Super Bowls and two Pro Bowls as a Ram.

The 6-7, 325-pound Pace played his college ball at Ohio State.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

This would be one of those types of players that is worth trading for.

The price of a 1st and extra is not really alot for a legitimate franchise LT who is 29 years old.

Problem is having the cap space and the desired picks to pull it off. Pace is going to cost a boatload of money for whomever signs him.

He's worth it but he could upset a teams salary cap structure just by himself.

This would be one of those types of players that is worth trading for.

The price of a 1st and extra is not really alot for a legitimate franchise LT who is 29 years old.

Problem is having the cap space and the desired picks to pull it off. Pace is going to cost a boatload of money for whomever signs him.

He's worth it but he could upset a teams salary cap structure just by himself.

Would this be like a John Abraham + whatever picks type of deal? Cause, that could make alot of sense, and it would clear about 7 mill in cap space.

Not per se, but like clear the room to sign Pace to his monster deal. That's what I meant.

And Franchise LT's who protect the Franchise QB > than DE's who play 11 games a year and who don't even show up for the real games.

Would this be like a John Abraham + whatever picks type of deal? Cause, that could make alot of sense, and it would clear about 7 mill in cap space.

*edited to fix my mistakes

john abraham > orlando pace

why? defense wins championships, and pace is not as good as much as the hype he gets, is he GREAT? yes, but is he this shutdown LT?? not really, he has alot of trouble with speed rushers.

You have got to be kidding. Pace is easily one of the top two tackles (along with Walter Jones) in the league.

Defense does not win championships, balance does.

You have got to be kidding. Pace is easily one of the top two tackles (along with Walter Jones) in the league.

I'd rather trade up for Alex Barron and keep john abraham. then trade abraham and a draft pick for orlando pace. I dunno, I might change my mind because

1. we have a good backup in Bryan Thomas

2. Abraham is injury prone

I'd be happy with either situation. Maybe Pace is the better option though.....

exactly and besides, what Tackle doesn't have issues from time to time, everyone gets beat that doesn't mean he's not elite

how can you be great but not be a 'shutdown' player

So, I guess the question is do you want the franchise tackle to save the neck of your franchise QB or the franchise DE who can take over a game?

I tried to make it as less opinion based as possible, as not to try and sway any decisions.

That being said, my opinion is take the tackle. Why? You do want to keep your QB upright. Everyone has problems with Dwight Freeney. Or speed rushers. Sure, John Abraham would be great to keep, with Pace, but I think it's more valuable to guard your QB. Besides, while they weren't creating havoc, the Jets D was damn good in the playoffs. Who knows? It might only cost JA and a third or something cheap that way. Or a 2 and a 3 next year?

Pace is going to get monster money.

Somewhere in that 15 to 20 million dollar signing bonus range.

Scary thing is that he's worth it. Especially based on the market.

He's down in Houston today talking with the Texans.

All the talk radio shows are sreaming for the Texans to pay the big bucks for pace.

David Carr has taken so many blind-sided hits in his short career, I wouldn't be surprised if the Texans shell out some large coin.

exactly and besides, what Tackle doesn't have issues from time to time, everyone gets beat that doesn't mean he's not elite

how can you be great but not be a 'shutdown' player

Good point Mean Bro.

Matt Light is as consistent as they come but everytime he goes up against Dwight Freeney 1-1, he gets smoked.

Thank god BB is smart enough to know that and always gives him help when the Pats play the Colts. :wink:

He's down in Houston today talking with the Texans.

All the talk radio shows are sreaming for the Texans to pay the big bucks for pace.

David Carr has taken so many blind-sided hits in his short career, I wouldn't be surprised if the Texans shell out some large coin.

The Texans might as well do it. My grandmother is a better pass blocker than Seth Wand.

Pace is a franchise offensive lineman. No question about it. This isn't Jonas Jennings here.

The Texans have cut a few players today like Jay Foreman and are trying to deal Jamie Sharper.(questionable move) This is being done to free up money.

Pace plays on turf and faces speed rushers all the time. When you have Dwight Freeney in the division. You better get someone capable of blocking him.

The problem with giving Pace big long term money is a few of the things TS mentioned and that it hurts your ability to sign or keep other free agents because you have too much money tied to one spot.

The one good thing about offensive lineman is that they can play on a high level until they are 35 or even 36 years old. Especially the great ones.

So a long term deal for Pace isn't a bad idea. He would benefit from playing more games on grass. It would probably extend his career further.

• 11 years later...

Archived