Marcellus Wiley, ESPN analyst, former NFL player says Patriots dynasty deserves an asterisk

Rexorcism

I have yet to hear someone claim that both the Pats' and Indy's balls started the game at the exact same pressure, have you? So how can you know that they both DIDN'T lose the same amount of pressure?

Pregame... 24 legal balls.  Halftime... 13 balls legal and 11 of 12 Pats balls not legal.  Case closed.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right. The climate on the Indy sideline was very different. 78 and sunny.

Come on dude, you're halfway there. You can do it!!!

For my premise, the colts sideline and balls have nothing to do with it. According to the rules of the NFL the refs fill the balls somewhere between 12.5 and 13.5. The refs are supposed to adjust and fill it according to the equipment mangers request either towards the low, mid or high side the way that that teams qb wants it if they specify it. 

What can vary was the temp when the balls were inflated. If the colts balls were inflated outside in the cold, or in the unheated equipment room in Gillette then those balls will not suffer a psi change due to a change in the ambient temp.   Although they they would still suffer a loss of PSI due to the evaporative cooling from the rain. The Patriot footballs are known to have been filled in a warm lockerroom.  Those balls would experience a PSI drop due to the change in ambient temp and the effects of evaporative cooling.

Did you not take high school chemsitry?

I have yet to hear someone claim that both the Pats' and Indy's balls started the game at the exact same pressure, have you? So how can you know that they both DIDN'T lose the same amount of pressure?

Pete Rose was railroaded.

Nixon was set up.

We never landed on the moon.

For my premise, the colts sideline and balls have nothing to do with it. According to the rules of the NFL the refs fill the balls somewhere between 12.5 and 13.5. The refs are supposed to adjust and fill it according to the equipment mangers request either towards the low, mid or high side the way that that teams qb wants it if they specify it. 

What can vary was the temp when the balls were inflated. If the colts balls were inflated outside in the cold, or in the unheated equipment room in Gillette then those balls will not suffer a psi change due to a change in the ambient temp.   Although they they would still suffer a loss of PSI due to the evaporative cooling from the rain. The Patriot footballs are known to have been filled in a warm lockerroom.  Those balls would experience a PSI drop due to the change in ambient temp and the effects of evaporative cooling.

Did you not take high school chemsitry?

It wasn't me. It was the one armed man!

So just because Denver cheated on the salary cap what, 17 or 18 years ago that justifies more than a decade worth of cheating by the Patriots?  Really? That is your message here?

No, because one team cheats does not absolve another one from doing so. Quit making straw man arguments. My point was that there is no talk about that title being tainted or should have an asterisk. even though it allowed them to sign FA that they did not have the money for.

Archived