NFL.com's Bucky Brooks has Mariota Falling to #13 w/ Saints

AFJF

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you think he is a real viable option to be a franchise QB you draft him, I've said that all along.  Some of the examples of busts I listed were teams 'hoping' a guy might be franchise guy, boosting their value and then watching as better players were drafted that they by passed.

You think Mariota is a sure fire franchise guy if given time, thus you go ahead and draft him.

I think he is the 2nd best QB in a weak Qb draft class that has some tools but is far from a sure fire thing.  I'll take a guy I feel is more likely to turn out as a player.

there is no sure fire draft pick. again that's my point. that opens the door to factor in other considerations.

"He would automatically add more years to their tenure with the jets whether he succeeds or not." That might be the craziest thing I have read on this board since I joined

I said they should pick sthe player that the  management/scouting  team has evaluated and feel will be an impact player for years to come.   Of course there are no guarantees with any player selected at any point in the draft.  If they feel that Mariota is that guy then please pick him and hopefully they are right.  If they feel that Cooper is the best WR since Jerry Rice then they should pick him, or Fowler is the next Ray Rice...pick him.  But don't pick someone at #6 because he is attractive and can extend their tenure here whether he is good or not ..  Our new regime is about making our squad successful and making what they think is the best decisions for the organization.  If it works out then they will have tenure.  

And Geno didnt extend anyone's tenure here did he?'

geno started right away and gave rex 2 years. if mariota sits 2 years the hc could have at least 4 years to see what develops from picking him in this draft. the point is not about picking a bad prospect. it's about realizing that no one really knows if mariota will succeed and there are additional reasons that could factor in that would make picking him beneficial to the regime.

the fact is that this regime doesn't have a QB and they need one to succeed. mariota may be the answer, but even if not it will extend bowles' tenure giving him additional chances to find one. that doesn't sound crazy to me.

I'm seeing that on a lot of updated mock drafts.. I like this one for the Jets http://www.drafttek.com/2015-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp All 7 rds minus the 5th and 6th The jets would have to decide between Fowler and Cooper at pick 6..

If Winston and Marriotta go 1 and two in the draft . expect Fowler to Jaguars, and Leonard Williams to the Raiders. Still jets would be looking at some slam dunk choices at 6.( after Washington makes their pick)

As a Raider fan, I would be extremely happy if both Qb's go the first two picks. If they are going defense than one of the defense player they probably want, will be there.

now I'm confused, me, kap or mariota ?

I thought he was talking about you.  Or are you a more pumped up Drew Gooden?

there is no sure fire draft pick. again that's my point. that opens the door to factor in other considerations.

geno started right away and gave rex 2 years. if mariota sits 2 years the hc could have at least 4 years to see what develops from picking him in this draft. the point is not about picking a bad prospect. it's about realizing that no one really knows if mariota will succeed and there are additional reasons that could factor in that would make picking him beneficial to the regime.

the fact is that this regime doesn't have a QB and they need one to succeed. mariota may be the answer, but even if not it will extend bowles' tenure giving him additional chances to find one. that doesn't sound crazy to me.

How did Geno give Rex two more years?  Rex was already kept for 2013 before they even drafted the kid.  Maybe he got an extra year, but going 8-8 with that kid was the kind of magic job that T0m was afraid of.  . 

Archived