Darrelle Revis knew he wouldn't re-sign with Pats: 'The number was too high'

Gas2No99

Darrelle Revis knew he wouldn't re-sign with Pats: 'The number was too high'

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Darrelle Revis will always treasure his time with the Patriots -- he did help them win a Super Bowl, after all -- but the All-Pro cornerback knew he would only spend one season in New England.

"The number was too high," Revis said Wednesday, referring to the $20 million the New England Patriots would have owed him had they picked up his 2015 option.

So Revis became a free agent in March and rejoined the New York Jets, signing a five-year, $70 million deal. He will be going back to Foxborough on Sunday in Jets green, and he doesn't expect a particularly warm reception from Patriots fans.

"I don't think I would be welcomed back with open arms, I tell you that," Revis said with a grin. "But the fans, they love the Patriots, and I'm not in that color jersey. So we'll see how it goes. But it'll be fun."

Revis returns with a Jets team that is 4-1, thanks largely to a defense that is ranked No. 1 in the NFL in fewest yards (269.2) and points (15) allowed per game. He is part of a revamped Jets secondary that also features fellow second-time Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie and imported slot corner Buster Skrine, whose status for the game is uncertain because of a concussion.

Tom Brady -- who has tossed 14 touchdowns versus one interception and is completing 70.6 percent of his passes for the undefeated Patriots -- gushed about Revis and his fellow Jets defensive backs on a conference call with New York-area reporters on Wednesday.

"I like playing with him, there's no doubt about that," he said of Revis, who has three interceptions and three fumble recoveries in five games this season. "He's a supremely talented player. He's got such a great skill set and knowledge of the game. He's just got great instincts, and his ability to shadow receivers and play the ball.

"He's really been a great playmaker for this team this year. It's tough to get open on him, and he usually draws the toughest matchup. He's a great player. I think Buster Skrine's a great player. Antonio Cromartie's a great player, too. I've played against all of them and I have a lot of respect for the secondary."

Jets coach Todd Bowles was asked whether he thought Revis leaving the Patriots and going to the Jets might have altered the balance of power in the AFC East.

"No, I don't. They've lost players in the past, and they continue to do the same things they do," Bowles said of the Patriots. "They have good football players on their team; they have tradition, they win games. So us getting Revis is a bonus for us. I don't think it deters anything that they do."

Still, having spent a year with the Jets' biggest rival, Revis admitted he has been able to share some things about the Patriots with Bowles and the coaching staff, and he said he'll be prepared for whatever the Patriots have planned for Sunday's game.

"I've got my notes," he said with a laugh. "I have my notes, and once you play a team so much -- twice a year -- you've got to go back to the previous games you played them and years you played them and see if you can pick up anything."

Maybe I am wrong, but it does not seem like Revis is Mevi$ any longer. Yes, he still wants a very large salary but at the amount we have him at and the performance on the field and additional value as mentor and even coach in our secondary he is proving worth it, and I think he will honor his contract.

Maybe I am wrong, but it does not seem like Revis is Mevi$ any longer. Yes, he still wants a very large salary but at the amount we have him at and the performance on the field and additional value as mentor and even coach in our secondary he is proving worth it, and I think he will honor his contract.

ultimately the pats offered him the same deal we did and he picked us.  Revis knows winning a SB here would put him in the conversation with Rice, Montana, LT as one of the greatest football players ever.  If he stayed in NE he'd merely be known as one of Brady's b-ches like Rodney Harrison

Besides Revis, I can't think of a great player that came into the league with us, was great for us, went to another team, and then came back to us before he was passed his prime. It's very rare in any sport, I think, though something similar happened to Lavernius Coles - he was really good, and then he left and came back and was good again....

ultimately the pats offered him the same deal we did and he picked us.  Revis knows winning a SB here would put him in the conversation with Rice, Montana, LT as one of the greatest football players ever.  If he stayed in NE he'd merely be known as one of Brady's b-ches like Rodney Harrison

no they did not offer him the same money. Or the 20 mill either. Their offer was lower. They purposely let him walk. They chose not to sign him back. 

And Rodney Harrison is looked as Brady's b*tch? Emmm interesting...first time ever hearing that. I think u dont know the player. If you did, u know Harrison is nobody's b*tch.

no they did not offer him the same money. Or the 20 mill either. There offer was low. They purposely let him walk. They chose not to sign him back. Not the jets stole him.

And Rodney Harrison is looked as Brady's b*tch? Emmm interesting...first time ever hearing that. I think u dont know the player. If you did, u know Harrison is nobody's b*tch.

yeah who needs revis.  smart move

Archived