Andy Wilder P   TB TBD - - - -
Kasey Redfern P 24 JAC TBD - - - -
Justin Manton P 23 BAL TBD - - - -
Tom Hornsey P 26 DAL TBD - - - -
Spencer Roth P   BUF TBD - - - -
Cody Mandell P 23 GB TBD - - - -
Karl Schmitz P   TB TBD - - - -
Matt Wile P   CAR TBD - - - -

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. — The Jets had to sign punter Steve Weatherford, who formerly played for them and the Giants, on short notice Saturday.

Their regular punter, Ryan Quigley, showed up Saturday with a completely unforeseen shin injury that would sideline him for Sunday's game at the Patriots. 

By his own admission, Weatherford wasn't exactly the ideal replacement candidate. He had barely punted since the Giants released him on Sept. 4. 

PLUS: Jets vs. New England Patriots 4 downs interview: Damon Harrison on jawing with Pepper Johnson

And Weatherford showed plenty of rust in Sunday's 30-23 loss at the Patriots. He punted four times, for a 40.3-yard average, with a long of 50. After the Giants cut Weatherford, he pretty much stopped punting, and moved on with his life. 

"I punted three times over the past six weeks," Weatherford said after Sunday's loss. "The last time I punted was last Sunday, in a park [in Tenafly] with my 7-year-old throwing me snaps." 

Weatherford, 32, expects this will be his only game with the 2015 Jets, and that they'll release him as soon as Quigley's shin heals. Weatherford knew he was just a one-day rental punter, because of this emergency situation. He also knew it would be hard for him to thrive on Sunday, after such limited preparation. 

"I didn't play well," he said, though he didn't rule out playing again in the NFL.

His first punt traveled just 31 yards, to the Jets' 47-yard line, where they downed it. The Patriots converted the short field into a touchdown, tying the game at 10. 

Weatherford's second punt was better, 47 yards to the Patriots' 24. Julian Edelman returned it 17 yards, leading to a Patriots field goal drive that put them up 13-10. 

Then came Weatherford's 50-yard punt, to the Patriots' 36. Edelman returned it 10 yards, but the Patriots' drive fizzled out, after starting with just 12 seconds left in the first half. 

Weatherford punted just once in the second half, but it was another bad one that led to a touchdown drive. The punt covered 33 yards, to the Patriots' 21. Danny Amendola returned it 11 yards. The Patriots then marched 68 yards for a touchdown that put them up 30-20 with 1:13 left in the game. 

In recent weeks, Weatherford said he had been "trying to stay ready if something happened," but, "I've been focused on life after football. And if somebody called, great. It was exciting to come here and play, but that was a rough, rough day.

"It's like being a golfer and golfing five times a week, and then not touching a club for two months and going out there. The swings are very similar. It's not necessarily how hard you're swinging or how strong you are. It's how well you hit the ball. And I obviously wasn't hitting the ball very well today. So it's frustrating.

"And I knew I'd only be here for a day. Quigley has done a good job. He's a good dude. It's an awkward situation for him to be in, as well. I didn't want to seem threatening to him. I just wanted to come in, and hit some spirals for the team, and help them out. It just wasn't there.

"It's just a weird place to be. I haven't caught a real snap in a while. I haven't put a helmet on. I haven't put shoulder pads on in almost two months. I was disappointed and frustrated for this team, because this is a good football team. I wish I could've given them more today. It was just a very disadvantageous position to be in." 

Weatherford was hosting a radio show Saturday when the Jets called him. They were scrambling to find a punter at the last minute, because of the timing of Quigley's injury. 

"To be honest with you, I think I was really their only option, because where else are you going to get somebody?" Weatherford said. "It's not like [Quigley's injury] happened on a Tuesday and you can bring four or five guys in [for a workout]." 

Weatherford said Jets special teams coach Bobby April "had a pretty good idea" that he was extremely rusty. But when an injury popped up the day before Jets-Patriots, April had to make do with Weatherford, for better or worse. 

"I was like, 'Bobby, I'm going to give you everything I've got,'" Weatherford said. "But he knows." 

Darryl Slater may be reached at dslater@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @DarrylSlater. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

Archived