TE dept. ~ ~ ~

kelly

Late in last Thursday’s game against Buffalo, the Jets trailed 22-17 and faced a fourth-and-4 inside the Bills’ 10-yard-line. With the game on the line, the Jets attempted what amounted to a trick play for them: They threw a pass to a tight end. The intended target, Kellen Davis, looked out of sorts as Ryan Fitzpatrick’s ball sailed over his head, helping secure the Bills’ victory.

If Davis were surprised by the throw, it was understandable—he has caught only one pass all season. Together with Jeff Cumberland, Jets’ tight ends have a total of six receptions in nine games this season. Not only is that the fewest in the NFL this year, it’s not even one-third the total of the next lowest team, Houston, which has completed 19 passes to its tight ends. The Jets play the Texans in Houston on Sunday.In a league that has grown enamored with pass-catching tight ends in recent years—think Rob Gronkowski, Jason Witten and Jimmy Graham, among others—the Jets are trending in the opposite direction. NFL tight ends have accounted for 1,448 receptions, 15,642 receiving yards and 134 touchdowns this season. The Jets account for six of those catches, for 78 yards and one score.

Although the scheme installed by new offensive coordinator Chan Gailey favors spreading wide receivers over using tight-end heavy sets, the Jets’ reluctance to target tight ends is approaching historic levels. At this rate, Jets tight ends will finish the year with 10 to 11 catches, which would be the lowest total in the NFL since 2000, according to Stats LLC. In those 15 seasons, only nine teams have completed fewer than 20 passes to their tight ends. The 2000 Dolphins and 2004 Steelers tied for the fewest, with 16. (Those two teams went a combined 26-6.)

In past eras, what the Jets are doing might be considered normal. Since 1970, 16 teams have finished a season with five or fewer completions to their tight ends, including seven teams that didn’t complete a single one. But the most recent of those no-completion teams was the 1993 Houston Oilers, before extraordinarily athletic big guys like Shannon Sharpe, Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates transformed the position into a dangerous asset in the passing game.

It’s not as though the Jets haven’t tried to find their own Gronk in recent years. Before last season, they used a second-round pick on Jace Amaro, a 6-foot-5-inch, 256-pounder out of Texas Tech who set records in college for receiving yards. Amaro caught 38 passes for 345 yards as a rookie, but tore his labrum in a preseason game this year and is out for the season.

> http://www.wsj.com/articles/jets-tight-ends-fall-off-the-radar-in-2015-1447805304

http://www.wsj.com/articles/jets-tight-ends-fall-off-the-radar-in-2015-1447805304

You would think Amaro would have TORN IT UP in Chan's offense as a true mismatch against Safeties & LBs, but as we saw, he was down the depth charts during TC and the CS was not at all hesitant to shelve him for the season on IR. 

This off season should be telling in terms of roster turnover and if MacCags will try to move some ill-fitting Idzikians (just speculating here: Amaro, Dozier, McDougle, Kerley contract). 

Gronkowski can block, but to some extent the pass catching TEs the league has become enamored with are just big slot receivers.  I remember when Graham was franchised his agent had stats that he ran out of the slot for around 70 something % of plays.

I remember that. I agreed with the premise of it too. Gailey is basically doing the same thing when he puts Marshall and Decker in the slot. He's looking for a mismatch in coverage. 

Many state that the Internet is a vast forum for free expression and the exchange of ideas but yet with such ample opportunity to contribute or aptly comment on threads certain Franchise Players looks to merely demonstrate their idiocy and mal-contentedness. 

We've moved on, can't you? . . . . 

Many have said Gailey doesn't utilize the TE but yet with the game on the line Fitzpatrick looks for the seldom used not too good TE to win the game.....

Check this out.

What happened to Jets on third and fourth down after Buffalo Bills fumbled that punt?

Dom Cosentino | NJ Advance Media for NJ.comBy Dom Cosentino | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on November 13, 2015 at 4:00 PM, updated November 17, 2015 at 2:12 PM

Reddit

Email

4d6b2b3651565936554a6b4142583372?_RM_EMP

EAST RUTHERFORD — With a little more than five minutes remaining, the Bills gift-wrapped a mistake that appeared to give theJets a chance to erase a 19-point lead and to pull out Thursday night's game.

But the Jets completely botched the opportunity with some slapstick on third and fourth down, which allowed the Bills to escape head coach Rex Ryan's return to MetLife Stadium with a 22-17 victory.

"We had a million chances today in the second half," quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick said after it was over.

After spotting the Bills a 22-3 lead, the Jets stormed back to within the final margin and were set to get the ball back when Bills punter Colton Schmidt just fumbled a snap that gave the Jets the ball on the Bills' 13-yard line with 5:12 to play.

Running back Chris Ivory gained eight yards on a first-down run, and then was stopped for a one-yard loss, which left the Jets with third-and-3 from the 6.

That's when everything went to pot.

"There were a lot of mix ups with a bunch of routes at the end of the game, and execution," head coach Todd Bowles said.

PLUS: Everything to know about Bills  22, Jets 17

The Jets lined up in a formation that had wideouts Eric Decker and Kenbrell Thompkins in trips to the right side with tight end Jeff Cumberland:

Jets third down vs Bills

Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick said it was a "pick play" in which Decker was supposed to get a quick throw after cutting inside of Cumberland, who was going to take out the defender covering Decker while Thompkins cleared out by running a corner route into the end zone.

Cumberland, however, got locked up at the line of scrimmage with linebacker Nigel Bradham and couldn't release. Decker wound up bumping into Cumberland, and the play got swallowed up for a loss of one.

Jeff Cumberland, Eric Decker

"We didn't execute," Decker said. "They went man coverage across the board, and how it's designed, it should be a touchdown."

On fourth-and-4 at the 7 with just 3:02 left, the Jets had no choice but to go for it. They lined up with Thompkins and Brandon Marshall on the left side, and Decker split wide to the right before Decker motioned inward, near tight end Kellen Davis.

Decker cut inside, while Davis ran a corner route. Again, however, Bradham busted up the timing of the play, this time by bumping Davis off the ball. Decker then bumped into Bradham and slowed up Davis. Fitzpatrick threw the ball where it was supposed to go, but Davis never had a chance and also said he never even saw the ball.

Kellen Davis, Eric Decker 1 Kellen Davis, Eric Decker 2

"I think Deck got jammed on that play, and the linebacker jammed me, so it was a little bit of a tough release, and we kind of ran into each other coming out," Davis said.

Said Decker: "He's trying to release. I probably should have given him a little more time and room to release."

Davis had only one catch all year coming in. But with Decker and Marshall drawing frequent double-teams, the Jets had to throw to someone else.

"I count on all our guys, and I know that all our guys can make plays," Fitzpatrick said. "That's one that I would love to throw to Brandon, I would love to throw to Deck. [It was] the wise decision there with them doubling those guys, and whatever it was. I don't regret the read at all. I think it was the right read."

The Jets have targeted their tight ends a total of 18 times this season. Offensive coordinator Chan Gailey has said the Jets would throw to them when teams least expect it. The intention clearly was to hit the Bills with something they didn't anticipate. It just didn't work.

Always expect to get tyhe ball if you are running a pattern of any type.  Davis forgot that one simple mantra.

Cumberland 'got locked up'.

Our TE's are sheer and utter jags.  Not sure why the team seemed down on Amaro from day one but he showed enough in his rookie year to do something, to bad he got hurt.

Always expect to get tyhe ball if you are running a pattern of any type.  Davis forgot that one simple mantra.

Cumberland 'got locked up'.

Our TE's are sheer and utter jags.  Not sure why the team seemed down on Amaro from day one but he showed enough in his rookie year to do something, to bad he got hurt.

JAGs? If they weren't on the Jets roster they wouldn't be in the NFL 

Archived