MIchael Thomas: WR-Southern Miss

Villain The Foe

thanks for posting. Haven't dug into his tape yet.

He's an interesting prospect to follow. Fluid, nice frame, reasonably good hands and a natural receiver - opposed to a lot athletes who are just playing receiver. 

Not a lot of press in these videos though. Need to see more of that cause his speed looked suspect at times trying to separate. His combine times will probably determine whether he's drafted or goes rnd 7/UDFA. 

Maybe better suited for the slot, or Z... not sure I see NFL split end - though he made an NFL catch against WSH there with that over the shoulder ball down at the 1. Tracked the ball perfectly... doesn't help that QB play was amateur. No anticipation and forced Thomas to adjust to too many underthrown balls. 

Lesser Jordan Matthews? 

thanks for posting. Haven't dug into his tape yet.

He's an interesting prospect to follow. Fluid, nice frame, reasonably good hands and a natural receiver - opposed to a lot athletes who are just playing receiver. 

Not a lot of press in these videos though. Need to see more of that cause his speed looked suspect at times trying to separate. His combine times will probably determine whether he's drafted or goes rnd 7/UDFA. 

Maybe better suited for the slot, or Z... not sure I see NFL split end - though he made an NFL catch against WSH there with that over the shoulder ball down at the 1. Tracked the ball perfectly... doesn't help that QB play was amateur. No anticipation and forced Thomas to adjust to too many underthrown balls. 

Lesser Jordan Matthews? 

Ah, im not sure. I spent that entire offseason looking at Matthews and he really grew on me so I know that there is a bias there. I will say this though, Matthews didnt jump off the tape. What it was with Matthews was his consistency. He looked like a "Mr. Reliable" type. This guy Thomas however pops out a bit. The first two things that I notice is his ability to attack and track the ball in the air. and his quickness/acceleration in short areas, especially coming out of his route after the catch. He's not world class fast, but his quickness after catching the ball and turning up field is impressive. Im going to make a few GIF's of precisely this so it can be better understood. 

The guy looks like he's worth of a shot at the pros though. If he falls out of the 3rd round any round after that would be a steal in terms of potential. 

Also, I hear you about the lack of press, but he does play in and outside, and he has the size that Gailey likes and he does show short area quickness when popping out of his route. He would be nice addition as a slot guy. 

Not giving up on Devin Smith, but it wouldnt hurt to have Thomas/Smith/Decker/Marshall as your options. I'd replace Enunwa and Thompkins 

I wasn't crazy about Matthews, not much has changed. 

This Thomas guy (to me) is one of those interesting people I'd have on my short list once we get out of the 4th and "boards" meant little. It's a who do you like game going into the later 5th round and beyond. If the value/player isn't there at WR earlier - than I'd be happy with Thomas as a contingent plan C, develop him as your #4. Anything more is gravy... He'd beat out Enunwa by the end OTAs.

Based on this year's stock, he reminds me a cheap alternative to D. Robinson (Florida)... he's half the athlete and not nearly as big, but plays a similar game... Btw, I LOVE Robinson. Him and Coleman are battling it out for my mancrush at WR this year. 

Archived