Top 5 ILB'ers

flgreen

A lot of us are intrigued with the Jets possibility of picking up a genuine edge rusher.  It seems that Davis may be an ex-Jet in the near future  making ILB'er a position of interest to the Jets also.  My problem with this list is that it doesn't contain Jaylon Smith.  If it's going to include Jack, Smith should be on it also.  With that said here's the article.

Top-Five ILBs In The 2016 NFL Draft

Scooby Wright

When we think of the linebacker position, traits such as tenacity, speed and physicality typically come to mind. However, the middle linebacker position is a little different. The middle linebacker is typically the leader of the defense who possesses superior instincts.

The more instinctive middle linebackers in NFL are cognizant ofopposing teams tendencies associated with down and distance, and recognize what's coming before it happens. It is more difficult for middle linebackers to key and diagnose as viewing angles into the backfield are straight on. Outside linebackers have the luxury of being able to look into the backfield from the outside in.

Prior to the start of the 2015 season, I asked Koa Misi about the hardest part of his transition from outside linebacker to inside linebacker and he said, "The angles are a little different at inside linebacker. It's easier now, but that was the biggest difference."Misi was subsequently moved back to outside linebacker.

Middle linebackers have a sixth sense of sorts as their instincts allow them to routinely get to the right spot at just the right time. It's rare that a middle linebackercomes along with the blend of speed, strength and instincts of a Luke Kuechly. With that said, there are five very talented middle linebackers in the 2016 NFL draft thatwill likely enjoy successful NFL careers.

Myles Jack

Many are projecting Jack as a weakside linebacker, but Jack cross-trained at all three linebacker spots during his time at UCLA. He also spent time at middle linebacker in 2015 prior to his knee injury. Jack routinely showed the ability to locate the ball carrier and finish the play. He's also stronger at the point of attack than many realize.

Often times he was able to set the table for his teammates by meeting blockers in the hole which allowed others to make plays. The running back position and the middle linebacker position mirror one another. Jack played running back at a high level which indicates he would do just fine as a middle linebacker as well.

Reggie Ragland

Much like former Alabama linebacker C.J. Mosley, Ragland doesn't need to be kept clean by his defensive linemen in order to make a play in the run game. Ragland does an exceptional job of playing downhill as he consistently fights off blocks in an effort to get to the ball-carrier. He does a great job of shooting gaps which is evidenced by his 10.5 tackles for loss in 2014 and 6.5 tackles for loss in 2015.

Ragland generally takes good pursuit angles and has proven to be a devastating tackler. While many question his speed, he is rarely out flanked and he has shown that he has the instincts necessary to key and diagnose and get to the ball-carrier.

Antonio Morrison

Morrison was widely regarded as the leader of the Gators defense in 2015. When watching him it's clear he plays with tremendous intensity. Morrison flies to the football and does a very good job of fighting off blocks despite being "undersized." During his time at Florida, he would occasionally pressure the quarterback on A-gap blitzes which enabled him to demonstrate his tremendous closing speed.

The knock on Morrison is that he's too aggressive which lends itself to him being out of position. With that said, Morrison's film suggests, he is clearly in position to make plays more often than not. He also showed that he's capable of dropping back into coverage during Senior Bowl practices in Mobile, Alabama.

Scooby Wright III

With the departure of former Wildcat Marquis Flowers, Wright became the clear-cut leader of Arizona's defense. Wright played in Rich Rodriguez's 3-3-5 and racked up 163 tackles and 14 sacks in 2014. In 2015 he was hampered by knee and foot injuries and played just three games as a result. Thankfully we have plenty of film to understand just what type of player Wright is. Wright has very good play recognition.

He is always around the football and knows how to use his hands in order to consistently slip blocks. He stays at home and does not allow misdirection to take him out of position. Wright's range has been a question mark in many scouting circles, but those in Arizona's football program know that Wright is a better athlete than given credit for. Wright has routinely posted impressive speed and strength numbers at Arizona while playing with boundless energy on the field; nothing should change at the next level.

Kentrell Brothers

Brothers has been one of the more productive linebacker in college football over the past two years. Brothers accounted for 152 tackles in 2015 as he showed an uncanny ability to diagnose plays pre-snap. Brothers like many of the aforementioned linebackers begins flowing to the football before the play begins which allows him to arrive at the ball-carrier before his teammates.

Brothers plays with extraordinary anticipation as he often times beats blockers to the spot. If he is unable to beat the offensive linemen to the hole, he has no trouble meeting them head-on. Brothers was consistent with sacrificing his body so others can make plays, or quickly disposing of the blocks in order to find the ball-carrier. Brothers has been criticized for a lack of speed, but his production against the run and his five career interceptions is proof that he has the athleticism necessary to make plays at the next level.

Likely 1st round pick A'Shawn Robinson from Bama gets blocked in that Ragland video.  The knock on him is that he plays too high sometimes and it shows there.  The other guy getting cut in that video is my boy DJ Pettway who I like as a mid to late round prospect

26 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Likely 1st round pick A'Shawn Robinson from Bama gets blocked in that Ragland video.  The knock on him is that he plays too high sometimes and it shows there.  The other guy getting cut in that video is my boy DJ Pettway who I like as a mid to late round prospect

Per Ezekial Elliot no one hit him harder in college than Ragland

39 minutes ago, afosomf said:

Per Ezekial Elliot no one hit him harder in college than Ragland

I have to admit that I like Ragland a lot ... I just don't know if I want then to go as high as the first round at ILB ... I certainly wouldn't be heartbroken if he's the pick at 20 depending on who's left on the board at that time.

1 minute ago, jetfuel said:

I have to admit that I like Ragland a lot ... I just don't know if I want then to go as high as the first round at ILB ... I certainly wouldn't be heartbroken if he's the pick at 20 depending on who's left on the board at that time.

Jets could do much worse, Harris is no spring chicken

Archived