Buster Skrine.. & how $1 billion in cap space could alter NFL free agency ~ ~ ~

kelly

On February 19, 2016 at 3:59 PM, CrazyCarl40 said:

Not a 7 million dollar upgrade.

He's making starter money, not close to it. And the results are just not there.

Trying to figure out what's more ridiculous, that a starting slot corner is a starter or that they're not worth starter money.  

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Dcat said:

PFF metrics are dubious at best.  People who rely on PFF rankings and PFF's enigmatic rating system assume PFF's ranking system has validity.  No one has ever shown how or why PFF's rankings are accurate.  Until such time, PFF's rankings are worth the paper they are printed on and not much more.

Revis is the 20th CB in the the NFL.

9 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You're not worth my time anymore. Have a good day.

You said this already. It was a good week last time. I am starting to think even you don't believe your nonsense. 

PFF is a tool like any other. PFF and FO disagree on Buster Skrine. If I had to pick one of the two more analytical sites, it's FO by miles. While PFF has him as a slightly below average starter for 2013-2015, FO views him as a reasonably quality starting CB - ranking 39th and 41st in success rate during 2013 and 2014 (2015 is not out yet). 

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Trying to figure out what's more ridiculous, that a starting slot corner is a starter or that they're not worth starter money.  

Can't tell if you're serious or not, but I'll bite. Skrine is the starting nickle corner, and the Jets do play the nickle quite a bit, but to call him a "starter" is not correct going off the base defense. That's like saying Devin Smith or Chris Owusu were starters because they were the #3 receiver in three wide sets. No one here is going to argue Smith or Owusu are worth what the Jets are going to be paying Decker or Marshall.

Listen, if Skrine was a good player and capable of playing the outside (at 5'9'' he's ill-equipped), as well as the inside and was going to be taking over for Cromartie in 2016 and was going to play well while doing it, he'd be worth the nearly 8 million dollars. Problem is that he isn't expected to be the starter opposite Revis and yet he's going to be paid about 7 times as much as the guy we all think it will be. And then people wonder where all the Jets cap space went to and why it's hard to sign players who are actually good at their jobs.

10 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

That's like saying Devin Smith or Chris Owusu were starters because they were the #3 receiver in three wide sets. 

No, no it's not. The Jets lined up in 3 WRs less often than 27 other teams in the league last year. Combined, Owosu and Smith saw the field for 30% of the Jets' offensive snaps. Skrine was on the field for almost 70% of the team's defensive snaps. Stop just saying stuff, you legitimately have no idea what you're talking about.

9 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Can't tell if you're serious or not, but I'll bite. Skrine is the starting nickle corner, and the Jets do play the nickle quite a bit, but to call him a "starter" is not correct going off the base defense. That's like saying Devin Smith or Chris Owusu were starters because they were the #3 receiver in three wide sets. No one here is going to argue Smith or Owusu are worth what the Jets are going to be paying Decker or Marshall.

Listen, if Skrine was a good player and capable of playing the outside (at 5'9'' he's ill-equipped), as well as the inside and was going to be taking over for Cromartie in 2016 and was going to play well while doing it, he'd be worth the nearly 8 million dollars. Problem is that he isn't expected to be the starter opposite Revis and yet he's going to be paid about 7 times as much as the guy we all think it will be. And then people wonder where all the Jets cap space went to and why it's hard to sign players who are actually good at their jobs.

10 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

No it's not like saying a 4 WR is a starter.  He's the starting nickel, slot or whatever you want to call him.

BTW, with useless point systems or ranking from a dumb site, never take into account he was forced to play where he wasn't suited to play or signed to play due to injuries.  And doesn't take into account that he was injured for stretch himself.

but hey, it's the bible for some. 

46 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No it's not like saying a 4 WR is a starter.  He's the starting nickel, slot or whatever you want to call him.

BTW, with useless point systems or ranking from a dumb site, never take into account he was forced to play where he wasn't suited to play or signed to play due to injuries.  And doesn't take into account that he was injured for stretch himself.

but hey, it's the bible for some. 

Where exactly was Skrine forced to play because of injuries?

And if you're injured to the point where your play is impacted in a negative way, it's time to find a seat on the bench.

12 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

And if you're injured to the point where your play is impacted in a negative way, it's time to find a seat on the bench.

He played some at the outside spot. 

And the second line is ridiculous.  On every level.

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He played some at the outside spot. 

And the second line is ridiculous.  On every level.

When Cro was hurt, Marcus Williams played the outside. When Revis got hurt, Marcus Williams played the outside. When Revis and Williams were hurt, Darrin Walls started on the outside. Why? Skrine isn't big enough or good enough to play the outside, so why pay him like he is? A corner being paid nearly 8 million dollars this season should be able to play in and out. Not just against slot receivers on the inside. The Jets can do better for their money.

26 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

When Cro was hurt, Marcus Williams played the outside. When Revis got hurt, Marcus Williams played the outside. When Revis and Wiilliams were hurt Darrin Walls started on the outside. Why? Skrine isn't big enough or good enough to play the outside, so why pay him like he is? A corner being paid nearly 8 million dollars this season should be able to play in and out. Not just against slot receivers on the inside. The Jets can do better for their money.

Darrin Walls started zero games and took less than 12% of the snaps on the D. He did that getting #2 CB snaps? Once again, made up statements fail to prop up an already dump argument. You also keep whining and unnecessarily rounding up the salary to $8 million when Skrine outplayed Cromartie, a CB that actually made $8 million. You really are terrible at this.

46 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Did you watch any of the games last season? Revise missed a few games.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

When Cro was hurt, Marcus Williams played the outside. When Revis got hurt, Marcus Williams played the outside. When Revis and Williams were hurt, Darrin Walls started on the outside. Why? Skrine isn't big enough or good enough to play the outside, so why pay him like he is? A corner being paid nearly 8 million dollars this season should be able to play in and out. Not just against slot receivers on the inside. The Jets can do better for their money.

Yet he did.  And while youre at it, you need to figure in Williams and Walls missed 3 games.

Why pay a slot guy like a taller, bigger player?  Because you dont need the size to play the slot?  Why pay a bigger, slower cb who isnt quick enough to play the slot spot? Because hes a bigger guy? Who cares? 

And whats the alternative?  Who's better for much less money?  Less money?  No one on the roster, so who?  How much are you saving?

You've been killing Skrine forever.  Everyone from fans to what the FO and CS thinks youre wrong.  But hey, continue the good fight, even and injury and a fill in stint at another postition isnt a good argument to you.  I get it, you hate him.  

1 hour ago, Jetdawgg said:

Did you watch any of the games last season? Revise missed a few games.

Yes I did. Revis missed the game against the Dolphins. Darrin Walls played 70 percent of the snaps that game, Skrine played 96 percent. So he had to play on the outside a paltry 7-8 times. You'd have to figure most of those were on first down, in non-running situations.

Revis also missed the Giants game. Skrine was on the field for 64 defensive snaps, Walls 55. So again, 9 snaps most likely on first down.

I'm confused as to the point you're trying to make. Or are you making mine?

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Yet he did.  And while youre at it, you need to figure in Williams and Walls missed 3 games.

Why pay a slot guy like a taller, bigger player?  Because you dont need the size to play the slot?  Why pay a bigger, slower cb who isnt quick enough to play the slot spot? Because hes a bigger guy? Who cares? 

And whats the alternative?  Who's better for much less money?  Less money?  No one on the roster, so who?  How much are you saving?

You've been killing Skrine forever.  Everyone from fans to what the FO and CS thinks youre wrong.  But hey, continue the good fight, even and injury and a fill in stint at another postition isnt a good argument to you.  I get it, you hate him.  

I don't hate him. I've never met him. From most accounts he's a decent human. I just don't think he's good at football. He's not bad, but he's probably average. Average players shouldn't be taking up so much cap room.

As for who is better? Marcus Williams played better than him and for way less money. When Walls started on the outside, he performed much better than Skrine did in the two aforementioned games.

I'm not sure your point of Williams and Walls missing games? Walls missed a few games in the beginning of the season when everyone was healthy. Williams missed a few games in the middle and Walls stepped in. The Jets had so much depth Dee Milliner, 1st round pick, didn't see a single defensive snap.

7 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Yes I did. Revis missed the game against the Dolphins. Darrin Walls played 70 percent of the snaps that game, Skrine played 96 percent. So he had to play on the outside a paltry 7-8 times. You'd have to figure most of those were on first down, in non-running situations.

Revis also missed the Giants game. Skrine was on the field for 64 defensive snaps, Walls 55. So again, 9 snaps most likely on first down.

I'm confused as to the point you're trying to make. Or are you making mine?

You are conflating several issues to cover your poor judgement. It really shows. Please close this thread.

Archived