A post FA mock...

Beerfish

1) Tennessee - Laremy Tunsil - OT

This pick just makes too much sense and many mocks have Tunsil to Tennessee.  (Watch them pick someone else and screw up every single mock in the land.)

2) Cleveland - Jalen Ramsey - CB/S

The early consensus is QB here but I think the Browns could get Kaepernick and also Hue Jackson has had recent success with Andy Dalton, a high 1nd rounder.

3) San Diego - Myles Jack - LB

The Chargers have quite a few holes and take who they consider BPA.

4) Dallas Cowboys - Ezekiel Elliot - RB

The Cowboys were a totally different team with a so so running game last year.  I think they will try to take the pressure off Romo and feel that Elliot is worth it being an every down back.

5) Jacksonville - DeForest Buckner - Dline

Jags were 15th vs the run and 29th vs the pass last year.  Even with the insane Malik Jackson deal they still add to the dline.  Buckner is listed as an end but has the size to play inside as well.

6) Baltimore  - Joe Stanley - OT

Ravens take the second best tackle in the draft.

7) San Francisco - Jared Goff - QB

Kaepernick doesn't seem to want to be there and if you have a Qb that openly states that your best bet is to move on.  The Wentz vs Goff decsion will be a big one.

8) Philadelphia - Joey Bosa - DE

Fletcher Cox is a beast but he needs some help.

9) Tampa Bay - Vernon Hargreaves - CB

16th vs the pass last year, they signed Grimes from the Phins but his play has fallen off.

10) New York Giants - Reggie Ragland - ILB

Giants had about the worst D in the league last year.  They have added big dollar free agents and continue to add to the front 7.

11) Chicago - Shaq Lawson - DE

Bears were 22nd vs the run and 22nd in sacks last year.

12) New Orleans - Eli Apple - CB

Saints have been atrocious vs the pass for what seems like ages, time to help the secondary.

13) Miami - Jack Conklin - OT

Phins seem committed to Tannehill, he took too many hits and sacks last year.

14) Oakland - Andre Billings - DT

Billings is an active player can play a few positions, gets compared to Aaron Donald

15) Los Angles - Carson Wentz - QB

The Rams can't believe their good luck as debatabley the best QB in the draft falls into their laps.

16) Detroit - Laquon Treadwell - WR

Another 'makes sense' pick but of course these often do not end up as projected.

17) Atlanta - Daron Lee - OLB

Falcons picked Beasley last year but still ended up 32nd in sacks.  Lee is one of the new breed small fast LB's

18) Indianapolis - Noah Spence - OLB

Indy was lower than 21st in sacks, run defense and pass defense.  An olineman is tempting here but instead they go with a pass rusher.

19) Buffalo - Kevin Dodd - DE

Ignoring the Rex Clemson connection, the Bills jettisoned Williams and Dodd is a fine player who can rush the passer and stop the run.

20) New York Jets - Paxton Lynch - QB

There will be some discussion as to how good Lynch is or can be but even if the Jets resign Fitzpatrick they are still looking for a QB.

21) Washington - A'shawn Robinson - DT

26th vs the run last year and they let Knighton walk.

22) Houston - Corey Coleman - WR

The Texan blew the wad on Osweiler and need someone to take advantage of the inevitable always double teamed DeAndre Hopkins.

23) Minnesota - Robert Nkemdiche - DT

A risk/reward pick for the Vikings, no disputing the guys football abilities.

24) Cincinnati - Sheldon Rankins - DT

Cincy was actually pretty good vs the run but Peko seems to take lots of bad penalties and is not getting any younger.

25) Pittsburgh - Mackenzie Alexander - CB

30th vs the pass last year.

26) Seattle Seahawks - Jarran Reed - DT

They just lost Mebane to free agency.

27) Green Bay - Leonard Floyd - OLB

They are moving Matthews back outside and still have Perry but Green Bay is a take BPA type of team.

28) Kansas City - Emmanuel Ogbah - DE

Devito is still penciled as a starter and Andy Reid has a history of drafting lineman early.

29) New England - Pick forfeited for cheating.

30) Arizona - Taylor Decker - OT

They just lost Bobbie Massie to Free agency and Palmer requires a lot of protection.

31) Carolina - Jason Spriggs - OT

Their oline really let them down in the super bowl.

31) Denver - Derrick Henry - RB

Just lost CJ Anderson but get probably a better back here.

New York Jets:

1-20 Paxton Lynch - QB

Keep drafting QB's till you find one, if Lynch was not there they would have gone to a different position.

2-51 Su'a Cravens - LB

Need to be more athletic at LB.  Some compare Cravens to Deone Buchanon, Todd Bowles will make good use of him.

3-83 Christian Westerman - OG/C

The Jets would have selected an OT here if there was one worthy, instead they get a guard that at some point could perhaps be made into a center.

4-119 Cyrus Jones - CB

The team has a fair number of CBs but also a fair number with question marks.  Jones is a premium kick return guy so he would probably start out doing that but has potential at CB as well.

5-157 James Cowser - DE/OLB

A small school guy who may last this long but he checks off a lot of pass rushing check boxes, production, short speed and looked good in drills.

7-239 Ben Braunecker - TE

A TE from Harvard, not real big but by reports a good receiver and has some blocking skills.

I applaud the effort. here's my feedback 

TEN - Tunsil never made sense to me here. They'd be losing Lewan in a couple years, and he was one of the few decent picks that team has made.  The rankings that Sperm swears by has Lewan as the 11th rated OT in 2015. He wears the C patch. It's just not a problem. There are still tons of RT like Andre Smith on the market, if they sign one of those, then Ramsey makes a ton more sense. 

that pick obviously changes CLE to have a QB Wentz which is more likely outcome anyway

DAL taking an RB top 5 seems like a smoke screen. I'm working on my mock now and honestly it's harder than it seems to find a landing spot for Zeke. I don't know how he goes top 10. Despite all the hype and even the year Gurley had. It's just the value of the position. 

the Giants never take LBs in rd 1.  They could go pass rush and are going to look for a top guy who falls (Buckner would be their dream probably) but more likely a WR like Treadwell to replace Randle and be Cruz insurance.

Clemson DE, Dodd goes before Shaq that's one where I agree with the talking heads. Neither goes top 15. 

Jets taking Lynch???  i wonder. A source last week had him as the 60th rated prospect in the draft. He seems to be falling not rising. He needs to sit and so much to learn it's questionable if a guy like that is worth a first round pick. It used to be, back when Aaron Rodgers backed up Favre for multiple years. But these days first rounders help the team that year. It's feasible and I hope they swing for the fences with the QB but just don't know how likely it's going to be Lynch in rd 1.   If it fell that way Floyd might make way more sense. 

In my gut, the Jets end up with Conklin or Jason Spriggs. and that allows them to cut Brick.

other random notes: sheldon rankins is about 10 slots too low. Noah spence might have too much baggage to go round 1. 

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

i can see Dallas taking Joey Bosa or Jalen Ramsey, I can see the Giants taking maybe Ronnie Stanley OT from notre dame (if they dont sign any upgrades in FA), Myles Jack if he drops to 10, MAYBE Vernon Hargreaves - if he falls...he's best man to man cb in draft. Ten - i could care less about lol... the jets - either OLB, maybe lynch but that's a big risk, because i dont think he's ready to start day 1... so what you gunna do? start geno then take the job from him again? cmon.

one other note collinsworth had a mock today that had LA trading up to 1 overall. That makes way more sense than tennessee taking either Tunsil or Ramsey.  They do have an extra 2nd from last year's Bradford trade. That pick, plus their first and second this year, plus next year's 1st, gets them to 1 overall. Could be a splashy move for a QB needy team that's about to move to a huge media market. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/03/15/draft-wentz-goff-go-1-2-in-cris-collinsworths-first-2016-nfl-mock-draft/

16 minutes ago, BklynJetsFan85 said:

the jets - either OLB, maybe lynch but that's a big risk, because i dont think he's ready to start day 1... so what you gunna do? start geno then take the job from him again? cmon.

sooner or later the Fitz/Jets standoff will resolve, with Fitz taking a reasonable deal and Mac looking like a genius. Geno is toast but Petty could be the future. They could take Cardale Jones a round or two later and sit him for a couple years too. There are other raw prospects. 

OLB agree and I wouldn't count out Darrion Lee either. Bowles said he wanted the team to get faster. 

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

OLB agree and I wouldn't count out Darrion Lee either. Bowles said he wanted the team to get faster. 

i like Leonard Floyd from Georgia, I like Noah Spence - but we need to do our due diligence with the drug problem he had at Ohio State, i also like the ILB from Bama - Reggie Ragland.

20 minutes ago, bitonti said:

one other note collinsworth had a mock today that had LA trading up to 1 overall. That makes way more sense than tennessee taking either Tunsil or Ramsey.  They do have an extra 2nd from last year's Bradford trade. That pick, plus their first and second this year, plus next year's 1st, gets them to 1 overall. Could be a splashy move for a QB needy team that's about to move to a huge media market. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/03/15/draft-wentz-goff-go-1-2-in-cris-collinsworths-first-2016-nfl-mock-draft/

I'll be doing a mock with trades closer to the draft.

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

1-20 Paxton Lynch - QB

Keep drafting QB's till you find one, if Lynch was not there they would have gone to a different position.

2-51 Su'a Cravens - LB

Need to be more athletic at LB.  Some compare Cravens to Deone Buchanon, Todd Bowles will make good use of him.

3-83 Christian Westerman - OG/C

The Jets would have selected an OT here if there was one worthy, instead they get a guard that at some point could perhaps be made into a center.

4-119 Cyrus Jones - CB

The team has a fair number of CBs but also a fair number with question marks.  Jones is a premium kick return guy so he would probably start out doing that but has potential at CB as well.

5-157 James Cowser - DE/OLB

A small school guy who may last this long but he checks off a lot of pass rushing check boxes, production, short speed and looked good in drills.

7-239 Ben Braunecker - TE

A TE from Harvard, not real big but by reports a good receiver and has some blocking skills.

Sorry for mock drafting on the same day as you dude... :S  (dilutes the forum).... i started it this morning and didn't press enter till just now. Didn't see ya.

Can't say i agree with much of what you did in the top 5, but after that I feel like there's some common ground as we made similar picks. If talking heads are to be believe, Ramsey's in play... but i'm with you, Tunsil is just too easy. Either Lewan flourishes in his role as a RT, or he eventually gets traded. JAX still had a capable Munroe when they took Joeckel. 

As for the Jets Draft, i'd be very happy with it overall (obviously love the Braunecker pick). Ulimately this draft -- to me anyway -- has to be about hitting on a Pass Rusher and the Quarterback...  I don't like burning picks on pass rushers passed round 3 unless we're REALLY high on them... the success rate on those guys seems to drop dramatically. No Antonio Browns coming out of central Michigan at OLB.

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

TEN - Tunsil never made sense to me here. They'd be losing Lewan in a couple years, and he was one of the few decent picks that team has made.  The rankings that Sperm swears by has Lewan as the 11th rated OT in 2015. He wears the C patch. It's just not a problem. There are still tons of RT like Andre Smith on the market, if they sign one of those, then Ramsey makes a ton more sense. 

that pick obviously changes CLE to have a QB Wentz which is more likely outcome anyway

DAL taking an RB top 5 seems like a smoke screen. I'm working on my mock now and honestly it's harder than it seems to find a landing spot for Zeke. I don't know how he goes top 10. Despite all the hype and even the year Gurley had. It's just the value of the position. 

the Giants never take LBs in rd 1.  They could go pass rush and are going to look for a top guy who falls (Buckner would be their dream probably) but more likely a WR like Treadwell to replace Randle and be Cruz insurance.

Clemson DE, Dodd goes before Shaq that's one where I agree with the talking heads. Neither goes top 15. 

Jets taking Lynch???  i wonder. A source last week had him as the 60th rated prospect in the draft. He seems to be falling not rising. He needs to sit and so much to learn it's questionable if a guy like that is worth a first round pick. It used to be, back when Aaron Rodgers backed up Favre for multiple years. But these days first rounders help the team that year. It's feasible and I hope they swing for the fences with the QB but just don't know how likely it's going to be Lynch in rd 1.   If it fell that way Floyd might make way more sense. 

In my gut, the Jets end up with Conklin or Jason Spriggs. and that allows them to cut Brick.

other random notes: sheldon rankins is about 10 slots too low. Noah spence might have too much baggage to go round 1. 

Something about the tone/language you use, makes me want to butt heads with you - despite agreeing with 73% of what you said. 

Lynch is absolutely in play (as he should be)... But with that said, I'm not going to tell someone they're right/wrong for being curious about how "ready" is he for the NFL (though i think he'd fair FAR better than Wentz in year 1).. but it does curl my chin hairs when people over-subscribe to the latest and greatest whimsical view points:

"A source said..." You mean Rotoworld's Josh Norris? 

Or my favorite that didn't exist 6 weeks ago:  "Oh my god, he's so raw".. really? was that something you concluded all on your own is it. 

I'll tell you what though, I'm ELATED that people think that, and I pray it reflects the jaded war rooms across america. Cause there's no way Lynch should make it to #20... but it looks like he just might. 

17 hours ago, bitonti said:

Tennessee lead the league in sacks given up last year, were 7th in Qb hits given up last year and lost their prize young starter to injury.  You can't ignore that.

11 hours ago, Paradis said:

"A source said..." You mean Rotoworld's Josh Norris? 

Or my favorite that didn't exist 6 weeks ago:  "Oh my god, he's so raw".. really? was that something you concluded all on your own is it. 

There's nothing Rotoworld told me that the bowl game didn't. He collapsed Geno Smith style down the stretch. The last football Lynch played was terrible football. 

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Tennessee lead the league in sacks given up last year, were 7th in Qb hits given up last year and lost their prize young starter to injury.  You can't ignore that.

It's true but the problems were mostly from the interior, not the LT spot. Taylor Lewan is 24 and their offensive captain. Drafting his replacement at 1 overall is overkill and doesn't really help that team. Best case they trade down as in collinsworth's mock. Worst case they take Ramsey.

32 minutes ago, bitonti said:

There's nothing Rotoworld told me that the bowl game didn't. He collapsed Geno Smith style down the stretch. The last football Lynch played was terrible football. 

Selective hearing hey?... Why don't you break down the Auburn game for me? Like quarter by quarter. I've done it. The whole game is on youtube. all 3 hours. Can't wait for you to elaborate on such a heavy critical remark. 

15 minutes ago, Paradis said:

classic bit. selective hearing hey?... Why don't you break down the Auburn game for me? Like quarter by quarter. I've done it. The whole game is on youtube. all 3 hours. Can't wait for you to elaborate on such a heavy critical remark. 

honestly I am not a QB evaluator. I am a OL/DL guy.  So I'm not going to do that. But from a broad stroke perspective it wasn't just Auburn. Lynch lost 4 of his last 5 games. Navy, Houston and Temple, a win at SMU and the Auburn loss. That's an obvious downward trend, even for a cave man like me. I'm not saying he's terribad just don't know if he's actually a value pick at 1.20. He could be there a round later. 

19 minutes ago, bitonti said:

honestly I am not a QB evaluator. I am a OL/DL guy.  So I'm not going to do that. But from a broad stroke perspective it wasn't just Auburn. Lynch lost 4 of his last 5 games. Navy, Houston and Temple, a win at SMU and the Auburn loss. That's an obvious downward trend, even for a cave man like me. I'm not saying he's terribad just don't know if he's actually a value pick at 1.20. He could be there a round later. 

That's fine that you're not a QB guy, but maybe consider not making such heavy-handed criticisms -- ex "Geno style collapse". My post (in my QB thread), I broke down every game in that "late season slide". Saying he lost the games again Houston and Navy tells me you have no idea what you're talking about. 

But rather than argue with you, let me give you somethings to reflect on regarding your (non)observations. 

1. Lynch was surrounded by walks-ons. Not very good ones either. They were handpicked for that offense. Zero versatility. 
  2. Saying that memphis lacked a downfield threat is understatement. He was plagued by dropped TDs.  
  3. By November, there was a enough tape that teams started figuring out the 2015 Fuentes offense. It was noticeable in the Temple and Auburn games. The walk-ons weren't able to adjust. It's not like Paxton wasn't doing everything to look for an open WR, or get 1st downs. 
  4. The coaching staff wasn't even present at the bowl game vs Auburn. Fuentes and his crew were in Virginia and Paxton was left to execute probably the most vanilla Schottenheimer play calling i've seen in recent years. Honestly, watch 1 quarter. It's tough to stomach. 
  5. Throughout that "slide" he still only had 2 turnovers... so you wanna talk about Geno style collapse, i say no way. The offense was incredibly limited and Lynch was working with what he had. Confidence dropped when players couldn't make plays.

Not saying he's without flaw (because his mechanics and footwork needs grooming), but he's incredibly misunderstood. And NFL evaluators are far from bullet proof...

Guess time will tell on this one. 

9 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Saying he lost the games again Houston and Navy tells me you have no idea what you're talking about. 

I'm more concerned about the games against legit-ish defenses Temple and Auburn are more like what he's going to face in the league, rather than Navy and Houston. 

To repeat i'm not saying he sucks I'm saying there's no need to overdraft this guy. He's going to have to sit for multiple seasons that's not how first round picks usually go these days. Others say he's got a Brock Osweiler path to starting which means he's not helping the team for years.  I'm not against Paxton Lynch I just want the first round pick to help the team this season. 

Archived