Football Thoughts Wanted

KRL

38 minutes ago, hawk said:

People don't want to give Dalton credit, but I would take him over Fitz in a heartbeat.  

I do not think this is the case.  In fact, it is a credit to Dalton AND their coaching staff to realize the guy was getting killed and they MADE an adjustment.

This whole game was eerily similar to last year, and has, for me, started a WARNING sign flashing.

Bowles again left Revis on an island against one of the best in the league, and it is painfully obvious that Revis is not good enough to do that anymore.

Bowles either could not or would not adjust to the Bengals adjustment of our relentless pass rush attack.  It seemed like his answer was to rush more, when in fact it was a coverage scheme that needed readjusting.

Bowles misused two timeouts in the final quarter.  Fitz' time-out was a necessity given he did not like the scheme he saw and the personnel he had. 

Gailey continues to confuse me.  He runs outside the tackle running plays that march 76 yards down the entire field, and then has Fitz and Powell both run in-between the tackles, and a terrible corner fade pass.  WTF

This was the complaint we had about Rex in the end:  Good DC, but cannot make the necessary adjustments as a HC during the game.  It is only one game into the 2nd season, but this should be cause for concern when another good DC cannot seem to make defensive scheme adjustments during a game when it is painfully obvious to the casual watcher that is what is needed.

39 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I do not think this is the case.  In fact, it is a credit to Dalton AND their coaching staff to realize the guy was getting killed and they MADE an adjustment.

This whole game was eerily similar to last year, and has, for me, started a WARNING sign flashing.

Bowles again left Revis on an island against one of the best in the league, and it is painfully obvious that Revis is not good enough to do that anymore.

Bowles either could not or would not adjust to the Bengals adjustment of our relentless pass rush attack.  It seemed like his answer was to rush more, when in fact it was a coverage scheme that needed readjusting.

Bowles misused two timeouts in the final quarter.  Fitz' time-out was a necessity given he did not like the scheme he saw and the personnel he had. 

Gailey continues to confuse me.  He runs outside the tackle running plays that march 76 yards down the entire field, and then has Fitz and Powell both run in-between the tackles, and a terrible corner fade pass.  WTF

This was the complaint we had about Rex in the end:  Good DC, but cannot make the necessary adjustments as a HC during the game.  It is only one game into the 2nd season, but this should be cause for concern when another good DC cannot seem to make defensive scheme adjustments during a game when it is painfully obvious to the casual watcher that is what is needed.

The TD over Revis was a broken coverage where the Corner was supposed to get deep help from the Safety . The big play over Williams was a mistake because the Jets didn't blitz and played Man on 3rd and long which is a humongous error either by the coaches or the players .

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Watching the Pats game last night, the team that could tackle, won the game. The Pats looked fundamentally where they needed to be to start the season. The Cards looked un-ready for contact. Jets too, in a lot of ways. It's the new CBA, some teams just come in and take a month to stop being pussies.

Meh. You know the Pats are in pads more than they're supposed to be in the preseason while everyone else is following the rules.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

They barely used OLBs yesterday at all. Mauldin played 40% of the snaps, Catapano played 26%, Martin played 2 plays. It was mostly 4 DL with Harris and Lee/Henderson with 5 DBs.

This is the defense we saw against the jints. I didn't expect to see as much of it without Sheldon Richardson in the lineup, but it definitely looks like the 4-3, with the three LBs being two ILB and one OLB, will be their base defense. Or maybe having both Sheldon and Jenkins out made it a wash. But having Lee on the field a lot in this formation makes sense, as four DL and Harris is a slower 5 out of front 7. Mauldin playing more, again, for more speed on the field than Catapano brings. Lee on the opposite side of Mauldin - leaving the rookie a lot of ground to cover. 

It was effective in shutting down the run and getting to the QB, but the secondary still gave up 300+ yards. Obviously that's where the work needs to be done. 

Archived