Petty HAS to make the Rams first start

kevinc855

5 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I mean, the Rams are bad but their D lie is very talented. 

Why not start Fitz against the Rams and Pats and start Petty at home vs the Colts. That way you 1. Give Petty plenty of time to prepare. 2. Pretty much guarantee that the Jets are completely out of the playoff hunt. 3. Bench Fitz after a loss (Pats). 4. Have Petty face not just a bad team but a bad defense.  

Hmmmm nice thinking post!!

Thank you!!!

12 hours ago, Jetster said:

Please lord let Petty turn out to be our franchise QB. I can't take watching this teams crappy QBs anymore. Sanchez, Geno, Fitz, it's a trifecta of suckage that no football fan should ever be exposed to.

When I dream, I see Petty slinging the ball around, John Gruden pontificating about how much he reminds him of a young Brett Favre. Our offensive players rejuvenated and making plays. Our defense comes to life.

Then my alarm clock goes off next Monday & I realize Petty threw 3 picks, fumbled twice, we lose to the Rams 5-0, and now our entire future rests on a shell shocked Hackenberg who can't throw an accurate swing pass. 

Hack is actually NOT shell-shocked. That's the one thing I saw from the few opportunities he got in pre-season. 

Yes, his accuracy is very inconsistent, he needs to improve his footwork, he has yet to master reading NFL defenses (got picked by a D-lineman falling back into coverage- they don't do that much in college), and he needs a little better awareness in the pocket (not pocket presence, but awareness- which I think comes with time).

But in pre-season you saw that he can stand in the pocket, go through his reads and fire the ball downfield with confidence. He did not look shell-shocked at all. Whew!- was my first reaction. He actually looked more confident b/c for a change he was not running for his life on every pass play, he actually had some semblance of a pocket to stand in.  

I also saw that Hack CAN make every throw (as they say). He threw a beautiful fade to Anderson for a TD, he heaved it deep a couple of times, he threw some lasers down the middle and he even tossed a little baby sidearm pass (which I think was dropped by the RB- I believe is one of the backup too).

So again, wildly inconsistent accuracy, still needs to learn the NFL game, still needs to improve on footwork/mechanics...but he's a smart QB who ca take control of the offense, he can make all the throws, he has a cannon, good size, and good enough athleticism for a pocket QB. This is what I saw in pre-season. Hopefully he has improved since then. I would not be surprised if he did. He has great leadership qualities and has been touted as a hard worker and a kid who has 'his head on straight' as they say.    

2 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Hack is actually NOT shell-shocked. That's the one thing I saw from the few opportunities he got in pre-season. 

Yes, his accuracy is very inconsistent, he needs to improve his footwork, he has yet to master reading NFL defenses (got picked by a D-lineman falling back into coverage- they don't do that much in college), and he needs a little better awareness in the pocket (not pocket presence, but awareness- which I think comes with time).

But in pre-season you saw that he can stand in the pocket, go through his reads and fire the ball downfield with confidence. He did not look shell-shocked at all. Whew!- was my first reaction. He actually looked more confident b/c for a change he was not running for his life on every pass play, he actually had some semblance of a pocket to stand in.  

I also saw that Hack CAN make every throw (as they say). He threw a beautiful fade to Anderson for a TD, he heaved it deep a couple of times, he threw some lasers down the middle and he even tossed a little baby sidearm pass (which I think was dropped by the RB- I believe is one of the backup too).

So again, wildly inconsistent accuracy, still needs to learn the NFL game, still needs to improve on footwork/mechanics...but he's a smart QB who ca take control of the offense, he can make all the throws, he has a cannon, good size, and good enough athleticism for a pocket QB. This is what I saw in pre-season. Hopefully he has improved since then. I would not be surprised if he did. He has great leadership qualities and has been touted as a hard worker and a kid who has 'his head on straight' as they say.    

Hack is on Macc 

Why choose a QB in the 2nd round that is nowhere near NFL game ready this decision still haunts me to this day. 

Macc passed on other players with that pick that helping their respective teams win games. 

Drafting and the QB position the faces change but the situation remains the same.

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick lost us the Dolphins game he has earned a seat regardless of his injury status. 

He was already benched this season and only returned as QB due to injury. 

Its time to move on from Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

Fair enough. I actually agree with that, Fitz HAS lost his right to start. I know the Jets lost that game b/c of the KR for a TD. But the Jets got VERY lucky when the Dolphins punter fumbled the ball. They were also bailed out when the D held the Dolphins to a FG after a devastating INT by the Dolphins D-LINEMAN in the redzone. I mean, those two INTs were strictly on Fitz, they were terrible decisions that vet should NEVER make. Had it not been for some good juju, the KR fopr a TD would not have mattered, the game woudl have been over and Fitz would have gotten ALL the blame.  

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Hack is on Macc 

Why choose a QB in the 2nd round that is nowhere near NFL game ready this decision still haunts me to this day. 

Macc passed on other players with that pick that helping their respective teams win games. 

Drafting and the QB position the faces change but the situation remains the same.

QBs are tricky. You take the guy you WANT. You take the guy you believe will turn into a Franchise QB for you. If he is a developmental prospect, fine. If he is NFL ready, fine. You MAKE SURE you don't lose your guy to another team. Hack could have slid to the 3rd or 4th round, but he could have been taken earlier. Especially with QBs, you never know. Remember, the Jets had a pretty late pick. So he was taken late in the second and the Jets picked late in the 3rd.

Now, say what you will about Hack and what he may or not turn into. But Macc looked at QBs very closely, and this is the guy he liked more so than any QB not named Wentz or Goff.

The other thing is, Hack may not be ready to play this season, the Jets obviously committed to sitting him. But that does not mean he won't be ready next season. Its amazing how fast things can change. Do not underestimate this kid and his work ethic, his learning ability, his hunger to play the game.   

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

QBs are tricky. You take the guy you WANT. You take the guy you believe will turn into a Franchise QB for you. If he is a developmental prospect, fine. If he is NFL ready, fine. You MAKE SURE you don't lose your guy to another team. Hack could have slid to the 3rd or 4th round, but he could have been taken earlier. Especially with QBs, you never know. Remember, the Jets had a pretty late pick. So he was taken late in the second and the Jets picked late in the 3rd.

Now, say what you will about Hack and what he may or not turn into. But Macc looked at QBs very closely, and this is the guy he liked more so than any QB not named Wentz or Goff.

The other thing is, Hack may not be ready to play this season, the Jets obviously committed to sitting him. But that does not mean he won't be ready next season. Its amazing how fast things can change. Do not underestimate this kid and his work ethic, his learning ability, his hunger to play the game.   

The fact that he passed on Prescott and chose Hack speaks volumes, 

16 minutes ago, peebag said:

No it doesn't.  You can't blame him on Prescott.

You most certainly can blame him for any missed draft pick he's the GM he hires the scouts who are supposed to be doing their damn jobs.  

As a GM you are also a scout for talent. 

Macc is responsible for everything that goes on here good or bad. 

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

You most certainly can blame him for any missed draft pick he's the GM he hires the scouts who are supposed to be doing their damn jobs.  

As a GM you are also a scout for talent. 

Macc is responsible for everything that goes on here good or bad. 

Then you have to blame 30 other gms as well.  Listen, we get that you're angry - just put a little more thought into your posts.  

I don;t understand this, the Rams probably have a better defense than the Pats, no pressure at all vs the pats every one expects us to get killed.  Plus a full by week to prepare.  He'll have more pressure to play well and perhaps get a win vs a rams team in disarray than he will vs the Pats who will put up 40 points on us.

5 hours ago, peebag said:

No it doesn't.  You can't blame him on Prescott.

Sure you can, Prescott even though he is in a very favorable situation is 100 times the Qb than hackenburg is and was selected 2 rounds later so for sure you can blame him.  The only thing that will save Macs neck on the Qb issue is if hack turns out very good.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Sure you can, Prescott even though he is in a very favorable situation is 100 times the Qb than hackenburg is and was selected 2 rounds later so for sure you can blame him.  The only thing that will save Macs neck on the Qb issue is if hack turns out very good.

Ok - then 30 other GM's are just as bad as Mac....you guys are really reaching on that one.

27 minutes ago, peebag said:

Ok - then 30 other GM's are just as bad as Mac....you guys are really reaching on that one.

30 other gms don't desperately need a QB.  In the end it is up to the GM to find the best players in the best rounds, you are not going to hit on everything obviously but as far as the New York jets are concerned hitting on a good Qb is  #1 on the list and every other position is tied for number 100.  As I said, his fate in this discussion will depend on how Hackenburg does, the guy drafted in round 2. 

Archived