From Left out, to Left Tackle; Ijalana set to Take over Blind Side

JetNation

3 hours ago, maury77 said:

Part of the reason we are here is the timing of Brick's decision to retire (not that I blame the guy). Had Brick retired at the end of last season (rather than towards the end of free agency), the Jets could have pursued his replacement more aggressively last off season. If you remember last year, the Jets tried to sign Kelvin Beachum, presumably to replace Brick. By the time Brick announced his decision, Clady was about the only option available. I can't kill Macc for the Clady signing, sometimes you get stuck in a bad situation and you try to make the best decision you can. 

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks Macc, prodded by Woody, approached Brick relatively late in FA to take a pay cut when they thought his bargaining position would be reduced.

Brick then told them to f off, leaving the Jets with Clady.

Clady was a good bet, but it seems to me that when players take extended time off, they get injured again.  I think pro football is a very hard sport that really requires your body to be ready for.  For any who run, you know you can't just jump into it.  It requires months and months of gradual building up to condition thousands of muscles and tendons.

Another thing...I do agree that for $12mm we should keep playing Fitz.  We can see how Petty plays at the end of the year.  Let Qvale, Ijalana and Breno get back into it.

I am not opposed to Qvale, Ijalana and Shell, potentially with another draft pick, battling it out for RT  The Jets should be first in line to pay someone decent to play LT, probably overpay, which they deserve to do.  They can cut Harris, Revis and Gilcrist to pay for it.

13 hours ago, jamesr said:

Agree on Geno ... the O line's job is to give the QB enough time to make a throw, run for it, or get rid of it. If the QB takes too long, that's not the O line's fault.

They were both at fault.  Ijalana completely whiffed.  At least get a hand on the guy, instead of giving a free path to the QB.

20 hours ago, maury77 said:

Part of the reason we are here is the timing of Brick's decision to retire (not that I blame the guy). Had Brick retired at the end of last season (rather than towards the end of free agency), the Jets could have pursued his replacement more aggressively last off season. If you remember last year, the Jets tried to sign Kelvin Beachum, presumably to replace Brick. By the time Brick announced his decision, Clady was about the only option available. I can't kill Macc for the Clady signing, sometimes you get stuck in a bad situation and you try to make the best decision you can. 

This is not the true story of the sequence of events.

When a GM says to a player, in April, "Take this $6M pay cut this season or we're cutting you," then the GM is not a victim of bad timing beyond his control when the player doesn't accept it. Maccagnan made the mess he was in by letting the position linger. Ferguson was bad in 2014, Maccagnan kept him around for another bad season in 2015 anyway. Then Maccagnan again failed to replace him (and Breno, for that matter) in 2016, until after Ferguson refused the pay cut. Brick retired instead, surely knowing that, like the Jets, no one else was going to pony up big money for him. He also acknowledged himself, in his retirement statement, that he basically sucked now. 

But hey, we traded our 4th round pick next year for a young relative of Art Shell's, so it's all good. 

Only good news about this is now we can out to rest the silly talk about restructuring Clady's contract for next year into a longer extension, and he doesn't get the ($3M?) escalator for 2017. Nor does he reach any NLTBE additional playing time incentives for 2016, which would have hit the '17 cap. 

Archived