Who's Next to get the axe?

CanadaSteve

12 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't agree, but whatever.

Whatever shape they're presently in for 2018 and 2019 can and likely will change once this free agency period is over. They have a lot of holes and not that much cap room with which to fill them. Expect more future spending (2018-2019's cap used for 2017 players). 

If the locker room is in such disarray, then fire Bowles (who chiefly works with that side of the ball anyway). Harris is a dead-end player who will take the spot of a younger guy - and thereby rob him of live experience - on the field. 

Pay him $6.5m to be a LB coach for all I care. Pay him $26.5m to be the LB coach. If someone's willing to cough up a 7th rounder, then take it and use his cap space towards an ILB with an actual future here. Because you are, effectively, spending 2018-2019's cap dollars by paying David Harris $6.5m in 2017.

Im fine with the idea of firing Bowles if the locker room continues to be a pile of stinking sh*t. I just dont think keeping Harris for one more year is that big a deal when the salary is 6.5 mil which is middle of the road IMO , if he was being paid like a top LB then it changes everything. Either way He will not and should not be here in 18 anyway

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

No. No there weren't.  He had more than 5 targets in every game except the Pats game where he quit/was injured.   He was targeted 4 times in that one.  The only guys targeted as much as him that didn't break 1,000 yards were Kyle Rudolph and Allen Robinson.  He almost got 800 yards.  Enunwa, catching balls from the same stiffs got 70 more yards on 20 fewer targets.  I know, I know, Marshall was drawing quadruple coverage!  

4 and 5 targets is nothing liek anyone expected and no where close to last year so yes it was an issue and yes the guy did play hurt for most of the season. if he was unable to perform to the bets of his ability due to nagging injuries then the coaches should have stepped up and made some type of move. Last year Marshall was in the elite category and those guys are targeted in the 10 to 15 range every single game unless teams just totally take them out of the equasion on defense. So your arguement of 5+ targets a game does not make your point.

Im fine with the idea of firing Bowles if the locker room continues to be a pile of stinking sh*t. I just dont think keeping Harris for one more year is that big a deal when the salary is 6.5 mil which is middle of the road IMO , if he was being paid like a top LB then it changes everything. Either way He will not and should not be here in 18 anyway

Given your last sentence, and the fact that money not spent this year rolls over into 2018, why keep him for this season? Either replace him with a better player at a similar or greater cap hit and who will be in your long term plans or - if that guy isn't out there at the right price - with a younger, cheaper player and save some $$ for 18. Either way, keeping Harris at his current cost means spending 2018 money to have Harris for 2017. why do that?

Sent from my SM-G920T using JetNation.com mobile app

6 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

On balance, and in comparison to the 10s of millions of other insufferably stupid spending, no it isn't such a huge deal money-wise. But it is paying him more than he's worth as a player, and takes playing-time away from those we hope would replace him, making it that much harder to pencil said replacement in as starter next year (when they should theoretically be much closer to serious contention). 

Unless Harris is looking to retire after the season, he's going to be (quite understandably) concerned with keeping himself on the field and any up-and-comer replacements off the field. It's a conflict of interest; even more so when the team isn't a serious contender (thus removing the common goal that could/would motivate him to help the kids more.

I just don't see what irreplaceable thing he brings in a "mentor" role, as a player with declined (and still declining) skills, that an ex-player LB coach in his 40s/50s (or a veteran player making 1/3 of the Harris $6.5m) wouldn't bring. Not unless Harris is going to room with 2 of these kids all year long and hang out with them every day. 

14 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Given your last sentence, and the fact that money not spent this year rolls over into 2018, why keep him for this season? Either replace him with a better player at a similar or greater cap hit and who will be in your long term plans or - if that guy isn't out there at the right price - with a younger, cheaper player and save some $$ for 18. Either way, keeping Harris at his current cost means spending 2018 money to have Harris for 2017. why do that?

Sent from my SM-G920T using JetNation.com mobile app

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

On balance, and in comparison to the 10s of millions of other insufferably stupid spending, no it isn't such a huge deal money-wise. But it is paying him more than he's worth as a player, and takes playing-time away from those we hope would replace him, making it that much harder to pencil said replacement in as starter next year (when they should theoretically be much closer to serious contention). 

Unless Harris is looking to retire after the season, he's going to be (quite understandably) concerned with keeping himself on the field and any up-and-comer replacements off the field. It's a conflict of interest; even more so when the team isn't a serious contender (thus removing the common goal that could/would motivate him to help the kids more.

I just don't see what irreplaceable thing he brings in a "mentor" role, as a player with declined (and still declining) skills, that an ex-player LB coach in his 40s/50s (or a veteran player making 1/3 of the Harris $6.5m) wouldn't bring. Not unless Harris is going to room with 2 of these kids all year long and hang out with them every day. 

your both right and I cant say I disagree I just dont think he's that big a deal ATM

If we draft a younger player to fill his spot fine but then its too late to cut him right ?

3 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

your both right and I cant say I disagree I just dont think he's that big a deal ATM

If we draft a younger player to fill his spot fine but then its too late to cut him right ?

No. None of his money is guaranteed so they can cut him whenever they want (up to final cutdown day) before they are locked into paying him a dime. All it would do is tie up that $6.5m for the entire offseason. We wouldn't lose it permanently, though, as it could be carried forward to next year (as Doggin94 told you).

Archived