NFL News

faba

Lions sign former Colts G DeMulling

NFL.com wire reports

ALLEN PARK, Mich. (March 16, 2005) -- The Detroit Lions signed offensive guard Rick DeMulling to a two-year contract.

The team did not release details of the deal.

DeMulling, who started 41 games for the Indianapolis Colts over three seasons, will be plugged in as a starter along with guard Damien Woody, tackle Jeff Backus and center Dominic Raiola.

Detroit still has to add a tackle -- in the draft or free agency -- to replace Stockar McDougle, who signed with the Miami Dolphins.

Indianapolis drafted the 6-foot-4, 304-pound DeMulling in the seventh round of the 2001 draft.

The Baltimore Ravens pursued DeMulling, but decided he was too expensive. DeMulling also visited the Buffalo Bills after the Colts released him this month to help clear salary-cap space.

Denver has seven days to match offer

By John Clayton, ESPN.com

The Seattle Seahawks hope they have filled their second most important defensive need Wednesday by reaching a five-year, $15 million deal with Broncos cornerback Kelly Herndon that includes a $4.5 million signing bonus.

The reason that they can only hope to fill the need is they have to wait seven days to see if they get the Denver Broncos cornerback. Herndon is a restricted free agent even though he doesn't require any draft compensation from the Seahawks. The Broncos have seven days to match the offer or let him go to the Seahawks.

Herndon played 99 percent of the Broncos' defensive snaps last season even though he was projected to be the No. 3 cornerback behind Champ Bailey and Lenny Walls. According to Stats Inc., Herndon led the league with 23 passes defensed and had only 51 percent of the passes thrown in his direction completed.

Though he would have liked to remain with the Broncos, Herndon was tempted by the Seattle situation because he would clearly have the chance to start.

The Seahawks needed to find a cornerback replacement after Ken Lucas signed a six-year, $37 million deal with Carolina two weeks ago. After considering Andre Dyson of the Titans and a couple of other possibilities such as Dolphins cornerback Patrick Surtain, the Seahawks focused on Herndon on Monday and Tuesday.

Last week, Broncos restricted tight end Jeb Putzier signed a five-year, $12.5 million with the Jets, but the Broncos matched after seven days. That put a further strain on a tight salary cap.

Herndon was an undrafted rookie for the 49ers in 1999. He has also been with the Giants and Broncos. The Broncos signed him in 2001 and ended up being a starter by 2003.

The 5-foot-10, 180-pound Herndon went to Toledo.

The Broncos face an interesting decision involving Herndon. They could match the offer on Herndon and remove the first-round tender from starting cornerback Lenny Walls. Or the Broncos can keep Walls and let Herndon go.

John Clayton is a senior writer

This a good signing for the Lions-Demulling is a good player from the Colts line-whose name is not well known

Broncos have another decision to make on Herndon as a restricted free agent to match

I used to like Joey Harrington alot but he seems to be taking steps backward instead of forward IMO. I suppose he could turn out to be like Drew Brees sooner or later as well though.

They can't all be like Big Ben, my dear! :wink:

I used to like Joey Harrington alot but he seems to be taking steps backward instead of forward IMO. I suppose he could turn out to be like Drew Brees sooner or later as well though.

Well, to take a step backwards, he'd had to have taken steps first... :lol: Joey did improve in the begining and the end, somewhat... it's just that middle that screwed him. If there wasn't week 6-14, he'd be gold :lol:

I think he's got more Bledsoe than Brady in him, but we will see...

Next season will tell alot about Ben IMO. Lets see how well he handles the so-called sophomore slump plus the loss of his favorite deep threat. Don't lose site of the fact that this kid went 15-1 as a starter his ROOKIE year though. Not to mention the infamous 21 and DONE game. Ya gotta admit he showed some brilliant flashes at times (alot of times). In fact, i can't think of another rookie that showed so much promise recently besides maybe Peyton?

I can think of at least 15 clutch throws he had to make to keep us going just off the top of my head. Franchise QB in Pittsburgh? Are you freakin' kidding me? Believe me when i say i never knew what it felt like to actually have a franchise QB on the Steelers.

To me it actually feels like we hit the lottery or something when we landed Ben.

I may be a homer but that guy is the LEAST of my worries concerning the Steelers.

I think he's got more Bledsoe than Brady in him, but we will see...

Sorry that no other QB in the league WAS blessed with Romeo Crennell, Charlie Weis and a very good defense.

But hey, at least you still have BB.

Well, to take a step backwards, he'd had to have taken steps first... :lol: Joey did improve in the begining and the end, somewhat... it's just that middle that screwed him. If there wasn't week 6-14, he'd be gold :lol:

:lol: Well he has some damn good wideouts to throw to, so maybe he'll finally start walking? :lol:

Those wideouts need to actually play though. I mean... do the names David Kircus and Scotty Vines strike terror in your heart? :lol:

LMAO. Counterpoint well taken. IF those guys can stay healthy, IF Joey can learn to read a D, IF Joey can start seeing the whole field, IF Joey can recognize blitz's and coverages, IF Joey hit the hot route on the blitz..... well ya get the point. :lol:

LMAO. Counterpoint well taken. IF those guys can stay healthy, IF Joey can learn to read a D, IF Joey can start seeing the whole field, IF Joey can recognize blitz's and coverages, IF Joey hit the hot route on the blitz..... well ya get the point. :lol:

And if Bob had girl parts, he'd be your aunt, counter point to the counter point taken :lol:

Next season will tell alot about Ben IMO. Lets see how well he handles the so-called sophomore slump plus the loss of his favorite deep threat. Don't lose site of the fact that this kid went 15-1 as a starter his ROOKIE year though. Not to mention the infamous 21 and DONE game. Ya gotta admit he showed some brilliant flashes at times (alot of times). In fact, i can't think of another rookie that showed so much promise recently besides maybe Peyton?

I can think of at least 15 clutch throws he had to make to keep us going just off the top of my head. Franchise QB in Pittsburgh? Are you freakin' kidding me? Believe me when i say i never knew what it felt like to actually have a franchise QB on the Steelers.

To me it actually feels like we hit the lottery or something when we landed Ben.

I may be a homer but that guy is the LEAST of my worries concerning the Steelers.

Yeah, IMO next year is the acid test.

If he cracks 450 attempts and has a year like last year minus the dropoff I'll welcome him to the elite QB discussion.

If he has a very good year but in a limited role like last year I'll be impressed but reserved.

If he plays like he did at the end of the year...

Yeah, IMO next year is the acid test.

If he cracks 450 attempts and has a year like last year minus the dropoff I'll welcome him to the elite QB discussion.

If he has a very good year but in a limited role like last year I'll be impressed but reserved.

If he plays like he did at the end of the year...

I'll try to explain this "end of the year" myth as best as i can. To say he played aweful at the end of the year is just a plain uneducated guess IMO and here's why. Sure the Jets and Pats playoff games he had his struggles, also the Bengals, Jets, and Redskins games he had somewhat mediocre performances (for the lofty ass standards and expectations somehow put on this rookie due to great play for what seemed a million games prior to that, perhaps?).

Now, most on this board, hell, most in the football world would say the Ravens had a very good defense last year. Well it just so happened that we had to play them the next to last game of the year, with HFA on the line. That was Ben's last regular season game as well. All this kid did was went out and had what seemed like his typical "normal" game and lit the Raven D up early to get them out of 8 in the box and respect the pass. I'll never forget how he froze Ed Reed by looking at Hines as he dropped back then at the last second gave Plax a glance then fired a perfect 36 yard toss for the TD. Man that was something special IMO.

He also had a very good game against the Giants too but their D was somewhat pourous so i figured i'd leave that game out to try and spare us the "yea, but he played against bad D's" myth as well.

My point is that he did not have a poor game EVERY game at the end of the season. Give the Jets and Pats D's credit where it is due as well here, they planned well and played great in the PO's IMO. As much as Ben struggled in the PO's, he never gave up or had that "quitter" look to him IMO either. He kept dropping back, taking the hits, firing away, just being Ben.

Trust me, that kid will be a somebody in this league. He may have some struggles his sophomore season, but the growing pains, if any at all, will be worth it sooner or later IMO.

StillerPaul wrote:

Believe me when i say i never knew what it felt like to actually have a franchise QB on the Steelers.

s_bradshaw_i.jpg

Ring a bell? :lol:

Nope, i'm too young to remember that guy. :lol:

Ben Roethlisberger is a good young QB. The label "Great" was put on him way too early.

The Steelers carried Ben. Not the other way around last year. I was saying that when Ben was undefeated and everyone had him in Canton.

The guy was averaging 18 passes a game.

We are going to find out how good Ben can be in the next 5 years.

Ben Roethlisberger is a good young QB. The label "Great" was put on him way too early.

The Steelers carried Ben. Not the other way around last year. I was saying that when Ben was undefeated and everyone had him in Canton.

The guy was averaging 18 passes a game.

We are going to find out how good Ben can be in the next 5 years.

Exactly. Roethlisberger had two games where he cracked 25 attempts, and in those games he had 2 TDs and 4 INTs.

In a lot of ways his rookie season was comparable to Brady's: often assuming a limited role, highly successful doing so.

If he improves the way Brady did over the past three years he'll be a god, but not many do so.

Furthermore, Brady had four definite "showcase" games where he threw over 25 passes with great success, and overall had a greater offensive Burden than Roeth.

Despite the dropoff Roeth's 2004 is still a fine season, but it doesn't tell us as much as some seem to think.

Archived