West Coast Offense

DMan77

Now is probably the time to refresh your memory on how this type of offense works... Because the Jets are going to have to run this to the letter. Going to be a lot of dink and dunking, screens, slants, crossing routes, quick come backs, and just general possession based passing. The Jets have no one to stretch the field right now. Sure, they'll lob one out to Decker every now and then just to keep a defense honest, but we're pretty much going to live within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage and look to make some big plays after the catch.

This isn't really a comment on if that's good or bad... It's just incredibly apparent that's what we're in for after this draft. The skill guys they took are big and quick, but not straight-line speed fast. They're possession/middle of the field prospects. 

I guess we knew this was the plan with our new Offensive coordinator... But now it's really clear they won't try to mix in some other things. This is going to be west coast all the way. 

Robbie Anderson to stretch the D?  

Myles White has some experience and can get down the field. 

At Louisiana Tech, White was Robin to Quinton Patton's Batman, catching 56 passes for 718 yards and six touchdowns last fall. White has possessed pro-ready speed

I thought we did a good job of selecting guys in the draft who fit our scheme - both offensively and defensively.

But I already didn't like Hackenberg's odds of panning out, but this offense really doesn't seem to be a great fit for him. Need a QB who can make quick decisions and throw with timing and accuracy. Not really his best attributes.

2 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

Dude did you miss the Robbie Anderson thing this year where he just runs by everyone? Chas Hansen looks like he is good at that too.

I mean you do try to stretch the field in a west coast. It's just not the focal point... There will be some long passes for sure, but it's just not going to be a big time vertical passing game. It's just speculation though. Who knows. But I just foresee many more quick little slants and WR screens than balls thrown 20+ yards. That also partly depends on who the heck is throwing it. 

I don't think it's ever been said what type of offense Morton is going to run. I don't believe Morton has officially spoken to the media since he was hired?  Cimini is the one speculating it's a WCO. And this talk that it's based on New Orleans offense I don't believe NO runs a WCO? Maybe some principles of it? 

I'm under the impression his offense will be combination of SFs offense used under Harbaugh and NO.

I do hope there are more passes out to the RBs as that is a huge part of Forte and Powell's game.  

I could be wrong. 

6 minutes ago, C Mart said:

I don't think it's ever been said what type of offense Morton is going to run. I don't believe Morton has officially spoken to the media since he was hired?  Cimini is the one speculating it's a WCO. And this talk that it's based on New Orleans offense I don't believe NO runs a WCO? Maybe some principles of it? 

I'm under the impression his offense will be combination of SFs offense used under Harbaugh and NO.

I do hope there are more passes out to the RBs as that is a huge part of Forte and Powell's game.  

I could be wrong. 

No, you're right. That's been his background but you're right it hasn't been announced or anything like that... I just think his background mixed with some of the personnel indicates a strong possibility that it's what we'll see. But it is all speculation.  

37 minutes ago, D'Pez Poopsie said:

I thought we did a good job of selecting guys in the draft who fit our scheme - both offensively and defensively.

But I already didn't like Hackenberg's odds of panning out, but this offense really doesn't seem to be a great fit for him. Need a QB who can make quick decisions and throw with timing and accuracy. Not really his best attributes.

Couldn't agree more. Seeing the Jets got possession WRs and a TE with size and solid hands indicates it will most definitely be WCO-oriented. All our current RBs are just as effective receiving out the backfield than running up the middle; I was surprised we didn't go after a BIGGER power RB in the draft. The main QB attributes in that style - timing, accuracy, short quick passes and screen passes - are ALL (possibly WERE) Hack's major weak points heading into 2016.

I'm rooting for the kid and think he can pan out, BUT the way it looks like right now with his current known skill set, this new offense will only give him a HIGHER hill to climb to win the #1 job. Knock on wood he achieves it. 

Archived