Jets Giving Khiry Robinson Another Shot

JetNation

IMG_2503.jpg

By Glenn Naughton

Jets rookie mini-camp officially got under way this week, and while that usually means a group of young men and a few veterans looking to catch a break, there’s one player looking to try to stop catching them.

Running back Khiry Robinson has had what can only be considered some of the worst luck on an NFL field over the past couple of seasons.  The Jets have invited him to camp to “see where he is” physically, according to head coach Todd Bowles.

After breaking his leg as a member of the Saints in 2015, Robinson hit free agency and signed with the Jets before breaking the leg once again in the final pre-season game of 2016, his first live action since the previous break.  He would spend the bulk of the season recovering before appearing in a week 15 game against the New England Patriots, and you guessed it…breaking his leg.

Averaging a broken leg per game over a three game stretch means one of two things, 1) You’re not built for the NFL or, 2) You’ve got some of the worst luck fans have seen among pro athletes.  Robinson, it seems, believes it’s the latter of the two.

If healthy, Robinson has a very real opportunity to make a roster that has only one other option as a power running back in Brandon Wilds, who saw very limited action in 2016 (10 carries, 27 yards).  The 6′ 1” 220 lb Wilds was on the Jets practice squad for the majority of the season before getting a few spot carries down the stretch.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
ji3JpoPRODs

Click here to read the full story...

23 hours ago, varjet said:

Wish him the best.  It would be frustrating to keep him, cut someone else and then have him break his leg again in september.

Who breaks their leg so many times.

What's strange is that doctors will say, it's always better to break your leg than tear something up. I dislocated my shoulder playing football at 18. This was in 78 when surgery was pretty brutal so I opted not to have surgery.

Ive probably dislocated it another 8 times since. I put it back myself after the 2nd time. Usually breaks are actually stronger after healing? Maybe he didn't it the full healing period before stressing it again? With Forte, Powell, he's a perfect change of pace power back with McGuire on special teams initially.

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

What's strange is that doctors will say, it's always better to break your leg than tear something up. I dislocated my shoulder playing football at 18. This was in 78 when surgery was pretty brutal so I opted not to have surgery.

Ive probably dislocated it another 8 times since. I put it back myself after the 2nd time. Usually breaks are actually stronger after healing? Maybe he didn't it the full healing period before stressing it again? With Forte, Powell, he's a perfect change of pace power back with McGuire on special teams initially.

Kid's broke his leg 3 times in 2 years and he's 27 years old . The Jets should not be interested in this kid on this rebuilding team. Yes we need a power RB, but there have to be younger prospects who can provide what he offers when healthy .

58 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Kid's broke his leg 3 times in 2 years and he's 27 years old . The Jets should not be interested in this kid on this rebuilding team. Yes we need a power RB, but there have to be younger prospects who can provide what he offers when healthy .

Other than his breaks, he actually has very low mileage at 27. Very low carries. I'm cheering for him.

Archived