Jets add TE Chris Gragg

JetNation

As training camp gets under way in Florham Park, the Jets have added another tight end to their roster in former Buffalo Bills tight end Chris Gragg.

The former Arkansas product has played three pro seasons in Buffalo from 2012-2015, posting totals of 24 receptions for 251 yards and 2 touchdowns.

Gragg will join Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Jordan Leggett, Brian Parker, Eric Tomlinson and Justin Vander Laan in competition for a final roster spot.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

4FY7UZjTa20

Click here to read the full story...

On the eve of the first practice, the Jets have signed former Bills TE Chris Gragg, who missed last season after suffering an ACL injury in the preseason. Gragg, who visited the Jaguars this week, has 24 career receptions for 251 yards and two touchdowns. To make room, they waived WR K.D. Cannon, whom they had acquired on waivers from the 49ers.

On June 14, 2017 at 6:46 PM, Gas2No99 said:

Canon is PRACTICE SQUAD material AT BEST for the next 2 years. He has NO football IQ for a WR - route running, dipping on out cuts, or reading secondary defensive coverages, etc. All he can do is a GO route and, like Dedric Ward, only a viable threat w/a ROCKET armed QB who can chuck bombs. 

There's A REASON he wasn't draft and CUT 2 days into rookie mini-camp in SF. He's a stash away player who MAY yield results by year 2 or year 3 AT BEST. 

VALIDATION!!!!!! :D

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

On the eve of the first practice, the Jets have signed former Bills TE Chris Gragg, who missed last season after suffering an ACL injury in the preseason. Gragg, who visited the Jaguars this week, has 24 career receptions for 251 yards and two touchdowns. To make room, they waived WR K.D. Cannon, whom they had acquired on waivers from the 49ers.

VALIDATION!!!!!! :D

I knew he was getting cut last week when I saw him on facebook live (or periscope, not sure).  Happened to be on twitter or whatever app when I got a notification that he was "going live" so I figured he'd be talking about getting ready for the season, so I tuned in.

He pops up on the screen and all he did was stare blankly at the camera half assedly mumbling some lyrics to music that was playing in the background.  Didn't say a word, just mumbled the whole time and eventually walked around his house for a few minutes IIRC, still not talking, just staring at the camera.  Figured at that point he's not playing with a full deck and he'd be gone soon.

2013 predraft report:

Chris Gragg (TE)

HT: 6'3" WT: 244LBS.

POSITION: TE

SCHOOL: Arkansas

Overview

Gragg started his Arkansas career at wide receiver after starring there at the Natural State’s own Warren High School. He played in every game as a true freshman, starting in three, but caught just one pass for 25 yards on the year. A dislocated left ankle suffered during pre-season practices caused Gragg to redshirt in the 2009 season, but he returned to play in all 13 of the Razorbacks’ contests the following year (four starts, eight catches, 171 yards, two touchdowns). He finally became a regular target with Wilson running the show in 2011, starting eight of 13 games played and finishing third in the team in receptions (41) and fourth in receiving yardage (518) while also scoring twice. Gragg dealt with a lingering knee injury his senior season, as he only managed to play in 5 games. In this injury shortened season, Gragg caught 22 passes for 289 yards and three touchdowns.

• SELECTED BY: Bills
  • ROUND: 7
  • PICK (OVERALL): 16 (222)
COMBINE STATS
  • 40 YARD DASH: 4.50 SEC
  • BENCH PRESS: 18 REPS
  • VERTICAL JUMP: 37.5 INCH
  • BROAD JUMP: 125.0 INCH
  • 3 CONE DRILL: 7.08 SEC
  • 20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.51 SEC

ANALYSIS
Strengths

Straight-line speed helps him separate from linebackers in the middle of the field, which are often open as the team’s gaggle of receivers open up the defense. Possesses receiver-like hands, adjusting to poor throws and going up to snatch passes above his head. Strong runner after the catch, churning through and spinning off tackles to maximize the play. Gives good effort as an in-line and downfield blocker.

Weaknesses

Long-legged, can take time to get moving off the snap and change directions. Occasional drops have hurt his reliability in the past. Carries the ball away from his body while trying to get the extra yard. Lacks the desired bulk to block as an in-line tight end. Too often will be caught losing balance, lacks agility. Not a smooth athlete.

NFL Comparison

Danny Fells

Bottom Line

Gragg has dealt with some injuries throughout his career, and in particular, a knee injury really derailed his senior season. Gragg will have to play an H-Back role in the NFL due to his lack of size to block in-line. While he possesses good hands and speed, Gragg is a linear athlete who will struggle to be a successful blocker in the pros.

March 2017:

Yesterday, according to his personal Twitter account, former Buffalo Bills tight end Chris Gragg met with the Jags. Ultimately, he left without a deal but referred to the meeting as “very positive.”

Gragg, 26, was drafted by the Bills in the seventh round (No. 222 overall) of the 2013 draft during Doug Marrone’s first year as a coach there. Often regarded as an athletic tight end, Gragg flashed at times with the Bills but could never transfer his success to the field, especially during the regular season.

In January of 2015, Gragg had knee surgery, which basically set him back during the offseason. He would only finish the season with 12 receptions for 150 yards as a result.

After bouncing back and having a solid preseason in 2016, he suffered a torn ACL in August that would put him on injured reserve for the season. If signed, it appears it would likely be to compete with Ben Koyack and Neal Sterling, who currently hold the second and third spot behind Lewis on the depth chart.

Before tearing his ACL, Gragg was reportedly establishing himself as the “clear” No. 2 tight end behind Charles Clay, and he could possibly have a resurgence if signed by Jacksonville. As it stands, Gragg has a career total of 24 receptions for 251 yards, and two touchdowns.

http://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/16/2017-nfl-free-agency-bills-te-chris-gragg-visits-the-jaguars/amp/

20 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Seems like a good move.  With ASJ suspended the 1st 2 games, he could at least start the year with the team. Maybe battle Tomlinson for the 3rd TE spot 

I could be wrong, but I'd guess that Tomlinson's "blocking TE" spot is between him and Parker right now.  I just don't see any of the other TE's on the roster being big/strong enough to fill that role.  Gragg and Vander Laan are both 244, ASJ has dropped 30 pounds and couldn't block before he got smaller and Leggett might be even worse than him.

At 265 and 263, Parker and Tomlinson have been used in that role previously.

We'll see.

26 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Our Jets seem to love the walking wounded.

Plenty of teams grab bottom of the roster fliers this time of year.  Roster of 90 guys, hoping to find some talented players who slipped through the cracks.

11 hours ago, JetNation said:

As training camp gets under way in Florham Park, the Jets have added another tight end to their roster in former Buffalo Bills tight end Chris Gragg.

The former Arkansas product has played three pro seasons in Buffalo from 2012-2015, posting totals of 24 receptions for 251 yards and 2 touchdowns.

Gragg will join Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Jordan Leggett, Brian Parker, Eric Tomlinson and Justin Vander Laan in competition for a final roster spot.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

4FY7UZjTa20

Click here to read the full story...

for Games One and Two?

I remember wanting this kid out of school, but as a role player FB/HBack type though.  I think he's shorter than reported. 6'3" seems like a stretch. How big was Keller? I remember thinking he was similarly built.  From what I remember in college he was a very willing blocker, and a decent receiver with good speed and he's got heart.  If we can use him at FB too, he might just stick.  I like it....just a no risk signing with some actual upside.  I'd love to see him become a versatile recieving fullback....add something of a Richie Anderson type back in the mix.

7 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

I remember wanting this kid out of school, but as a role player FB/HBack type though.  I think he's shorter than reported. 6'3" seems like a stretch. How big was Keller? I remember thinking he was similarly built.  From what I remember in college he was a very willing blocker, and a decent receiver with good speed and he's got heart.  If we can use him at FB too, he might just stick.  I like it....just a no risk signing with some actual upside.  I'd love to see him become a versatile recieving fullback....add something of a Richie Anderson type back in the mix.

No risk. Based on his knees injury history all that can be hoped for at this point is he stays healthy enough to show what he has and make it through TC. 

Archived