Baker Mayfield QB

Connor Williams/Tyrell Crosby OT

Isaiah Wynn C/IOL

Sonny Michel RB

Cam Sagrine TE/H-Back

Ogbonnia Okoronkwo/Marquis Haynes LB/EDGE

Bentley Spain OT/OL 

23 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Contract numbers would be helpful. I don't think Cousins will sign anywhere that plans to use a 1st round pick on a QB.

He doesn’t have to know! 

As far as contract...for Cousins something that pays him 48-50 million in 2018 and 2019 with outs each year from 2020-2022. 

34 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

He doesn’t have to know! 

As far as contract...for Cousins something that pays him 48-50 million in 2018 and 2019 with outs each year from 2020-2022. 

That would be a really quick way to piss of your new franchise QB, he'd probably demand a trade or release if we spent a top 10 pick on a QB. If you want to say take a flyer in rounds 4-7 then go ahead but not a premium pick. He'd be coming here because we'd promise to build the team around him as the guy.

24 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

That would be a really quick way to piss of your new franchise QB, he'd probably demand a trade or release if we spent a top 10 pick on a QB. If you want to say take a flyer in rounds 4-7 then go ahead but not a premium pick. He'd be coming here because we'd promise to build the team around him as the guy.

Once signed Cousins has gotten everything he wanted out of that FA. His career choices indicate a guy who understands this is a business first, wouldn’t be too worried about hurting his feelings. It’s just covering their asses while they can. 

5 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Once signed Cousins has gotten everything he wanted out of that FA. His career choices indicate a guy who understands this is a business first, wouldn’t be too worried about hurting his feelings. It’s just covering their asses while they can. 

His career choices? I'd say he's sticking it to the Redskins because they did not believe in him. If we took a QB with a top 10 pick we'd send the same exact message. Yes it is a business but pulling a shady move like that will prevent players from trusting this regime.

9 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

His career choices? I'd say he's sticking it to the Redskins because they did not believe in him. If we took a QB with a top 10 pick we'd send the same exact message. Yes it is a business but pulling a shady move like that will prevent players from trusting this regime.

They just paid the man ~$44 million over two years! Of course they believe in him! Maybe they didn’t believe in him soon enough, like when he was picked after RG3. In this scenario he is the RG3! With no major injury history! 

Just now, SenorGato said:

They just paid the man ~$44 million over two years! Of course they believe in him! Maybe they didn’t believe in him soon enough, like when he was picked after RG3, but in this scenario he is the RG3! 

Do me a favor and read this, if you still feel the same way after then we'll agree to disagree. This is from a Redskins Forum discussing the front offices relationship with Cousins:

The long answer: back in 2011-2012 off-season, Dan Snyder was tired of Mike Shanahan's crap regarding Rex Grossman and John Beck. It's still unclear who was responsible for the Donovan McNabb fiasco, but Shanny definitely held the bag for the next iteration of terrible QBs. So Snyder/Allen basically laid it out: Either Shanny takes Griffin with the number 2 pick, or he was fired. Shanahan didn't really want to, but he also didn't want to lose his job, so the deal was made, and Griffin was drafted.

Then came the fourth round and a guy named Kirk Cousins was selected by the Redskins. Shanahan played it off like he needed a backup, particularly for a mobile QB. And for at time, it was believable. Griffin excelled in the offense the Shanahans built for him. The Redskins went to the playoffs. The Nationals won 98 games. The Caps started to dominant. The DC sports curse was broken.

Before going on, you need to understand the relationship that Griffin and Snyder had. It was special. It was unique. Griffin was not treated like other players. Griffin was the blessed child. And SSnyder loved every minute of it. He'd been waiting for 15+ years for this moment. He had a young, hip, black franchise QB. And, yes, skin color was important here. Snyder had been besieged by his money grubbing tactics in the press, and the Redskins name controversy was not going away. Griffin being the franchise QB gave Snyder everything he needed to counter the social pressure around him. And he treated that guy like his own kid.

And  then Griffin was injured in the Seattle game. The curse remained alive. The fan base was stunned. Griffin was shook. But he rehabbed his *** off to get back. And then the nonsense started. He wanted the playbook changed. He didn't want to run as much option. He wanted to become a real pocket passer. The problem was, he'd never done it before. It became very obvious he couldn't do it. He didn't make basic reads. He couldn't make basic passes. Griffin could not operate as an NFL QB. But Snyder didn't care because that was HIS guy. Shanahan finally benched him at the end of the 2013 and Snyder fired Shanahan.

Jay Gruden was hired for the 2014 season. He was brought in to coach up Griffin. The guy who turned Andy Dalton into a pro-bowler. This was going to be the guy. Except ... Griffin still sucked. He got hurt in Week 2 and when he came back, he showed no progression until the last couple of games. Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen elected to pick up his option (15 million).

Now, during this saga, Cousins got chances and was up and down. Sometimes he flashed. Sometimes he struggled. There were questions about his attitude and demeanor. He allegedly asked for a trade.

During the 2015 preseason, Griffin got hurt. Cousins lept at the opportunity. He shined. He flat out won the job. Particularly down the stretch, Cousins was elite, taking the Redskins to the playoffs.

Prior to the season, the Redskins did something that truly hadn't done since Snyder was the owner: Get a general manager. At least from the outside, Scot McCloughan was totally in control of football operations. Bruce Allen was there to kiss babies, set up the homecoming game, and get Snyder a new stadium deal. We know now this wasn't the case, as McCloughan was nothing more than a glorified scout. During the 2015 season, McClough recognized that Cousins had the chops to be a very good NFL QB and started negotiating with his agent. Prior to the 2015 season ending, Cousins and his agent agreed to a deal that was essentially a 3 year, 19 million per year deal. McCloughan was stoked and took it to ownership, as, for obvious reasons, ownership has to sign off on that kind of deal

Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen said no.

You see, Cousins is the reminder of everything they screwed up and they didn't want to admit it. They felt Cousins was a flash in the pants and that he couldn't duplicate it. However both Gruden and McCloughan made it clear the team would face a lost season if Cousins was allowed to walk. Facing a dramatic drop in ticket sales to accompany the never ending PR nightmare that was the Redskins' front office, Snyder/Allen chose to franchise him. They bet he couldn't sustain his end of 2015 performance. Once again, they were wrong. Cousins lit it up. Dude put up elite numbers.

Meanwhile, two major things happened during the 2016-2017 offseason. The QB market continued to explode, with guys like Mike Glennon getting a huge deal, and Derek Carr getting a monster one. It was obvious that the original 19 million a year deal simply wasn't going to cut it. It was also obvious that Cousins was more than satisfied with being franchised again. Given the amount of money they guaranteed him, I don't blame him. But Cousins says all the right things, became a leader on the field, and learned to deliver in the clutch.

The second issue was the massive dysfunction that had come to a head at Redskins park. Allen had basically forced McCloughan out, with tales of heavy drinking being circulated throughout the media. McCoughlan wasn't at the combine and in March, was let go. Bruce Allen held press conferences and radio interviews with Tennessee sports talk radio, alleging  problems with McCloughan. The Redskins again elected to franchise Cousins, in the hope of working out a long term deal.

Which did not happen, and  in July of 2017, Bruce Allen held a press conference at Redskins Park where he informed everyone that "K-U-R-T Cousins" turned down $53 million guaranteed. Yes, Kurt. The president of the team mispronounced the first name of the franchise quarterback. Six freaking times. He chose his words carefully, saying that the contract would guarantee $53 million and make him the second highest paid per year over the contract. What he failed to mention was they were already in for 24 million, so the guarantee was only about 20 million more and the deal was fairly backloaded. Cousins' agent did not counter offer.

So Cousins is playing another year on the franchise tag, and despite losing his two 1000 yard receivers, he's second in passing yards. For his entire time in DC, Cousins has been brushed off and cast aside by ownership, who either didn't want him or refused to believe in him. He's been through two coaches and now three OCs. He watched as the GM who most believed in him was slandered in the press and embarrassingly drummed out of his job. He's watched the front office be one of the most inept and disingenuous in all of sports.

And now that same ownership is expecting to get some sort of home town discount. So yeah, that's why there isn't a deal despite three years. Because ownership didn't want to until it was too late.

9 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Do me a favor and read this, if you still feel the same way after then we'll agree to disagree. This is from a Redskins Forum discussing the front offices relationship with Cousins:

I got out of that that I was right about the Griffin thing. He is the RG3 here. In this scenario he’s just signed a record FA contract with the team that most aggressively tried to trade for him entering 2015. This is the opposite of not being wanted. 

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

I got out of that that I was right about the Griffin thing. He is the RG3 here. In this scenario he’s just signed a record FA contract with the team that most aggressively tried to trade for him entering 2015. This is the opposite of not being wanted. 

I agree which is why it makes perfect sense, but you don't take a QB in round 1 then. Take one in a later round (like he was) if you take a QB round 1 the team will be divided and support will be thrown behind both players once there is questionable play. I just don't see that as move made in good faith.

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I agree which is why it makes perfect sense, but you don't take a QB in round 1 then. Take one in a later round (like he was) if you take a QB round 1 the team will be divided and support will be thrown behind both players once there is questionable play. I just don't see that as move made in good faith.

Why does it matter what round they take the QB in? First or fourth, he’s not beating out Cousins for the job. The best shot at the Jets getting any long term value out of taking a QB is in the first. 

From there the good faith comes in the form of lots of money over at least two seasons, a starting job to open at least one of them hopefully many more, and some FA spending. No reason not to go after Bell in FA at RB if they’ve already got Cousins...same thing, two years with significant outs years 3-5. 

27 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Why does it matter what round they take the QB in? First or fourth, he’s not beating out Cousins for the job. The best shot at the Jets getting any long term value out of taking a QB is in the first. 

From there the good faith comes in the form of lots of money over at least two seasons, a starting job to open at least one of them hopefully many more, and some FA spending. No reason not to go after Bell in FA at RB if they’ve already got Cousins...same thing, two years with significant outs years 3-5. 

Because the expectation with a first round QB is that he is the future, a 4th round QB is seen as a back up. You don't waste a premium pick on a QB after signing a 29 year old QB. I get we haven't had a QB in a long time but Cousins is not the same situation as Glennon was last year. If you want to argue Bortles/McCarron/Keenum/Bridgewater plus a 1st round QB then I'm totally on board for that.

OK so what they really need to do:

- Probably should still hire that President of Football Operations.

Sign:

Cousins - Essentially 2/48-50 with potential to maybe get all the way to say 5/150.

Le’Veon Bell - Essentially 2/25 with the potential to go say 4/52 or something.

Sentreal Henderson - Essentially one year, maybe two, but could be 4. Not sure what the dollar range would be. 

Jonathan Cooper - Essentially one year, maybe two, but could be 3 or 4. Not sure what the dollar range would be. 

Draft is same as before 

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Because the expectation with a first round QB is that he is the future, a 4th round QB is seen as a back up. You don't waste a premium pick on a QB after signing a 29 year old QB. I get we haven't had a QB in a long time but Cousins is not the same situation as Glennon was last year. If you want to argue Bortles/McCarron/Keenum/Bridgewater plus a 1st round QB then I'm totally on board for that.

Sure, and Cousins would be the now. Everyone would have that understanding. 

I don’t understand why you’d be on board for a bad starting QB and a first round pick but not a good QB and a first round pick. You’re signing a QB to an 8 figure salary in either scenario to start anyway, why would you intentionally want a lesser talent? 

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Sure, and Cousins would be the now. Everyone would have that understanding. 

I don’t understand why you’d be on board for a bad starting QB and a first round pick but not a good QB and a first round pick. You’re signing a QB to an 8 figure salary in either scenario to start anyway, why would you intentionally want a lesser talent? 

Because that lesser talent, who is young enough to still develop into a franchise caliber QB, can bring in 1 more elite player or 2 good players. $15M + 1st rounder is far different than $28M + 1st rounder. Saying 8 figure salary as if there is no difference is asinine. 

Just now, bla bla bla said:

Because that lesser talent, who is young enough to still develop into a franchise caliber QB, can bring in 1 more elite player or 2 good players. $15M + 1st rounder is far different than $28M + 1st rounder. Saying 8 figure salary as if there is no difference is asinine. 

I’m trhing to get this straight. It’s better to throw $15 million, and likely multiple years, at FAs without Cousin’s track record of NFL performance on the off chance they have a shot at making a leap they’ve never or only briefly made during their half decade in the NFL? And who are these elite FAs or players they’re missing out on? You literally just replied in a post to me shutting down Le’Veon Bell, a legitimately elite player, because he wants $15 million!  

16 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

I’m trhing to get this straight. It’s better to throw $15 million, and likely multiple years, at FAs without Cousin’s track record of NFL performance on the off chance they have a shot at making a leap they’ve never or only briefly made during their half decade in the NFL? And who are these elite FAs or players they’re missing out on? You literally just replied in a post to me shutting down Le’Veon Bell, a legitimately elite player, because he wants $15 million!  

You'd still be taking a QB in the 1st round. McCarron was almost traded for a 2nd and 3rd rounder so obviously teams feel there is some talent there. Teddy if he checks out medically was a good QB when healthy so I'd gamble on that. Bortles is just finishing his 4th year and the past month he's looked good. You can sign them to a Glennon type contract which allows you to get out of it if the rookie is good. You want know how I want to spend our money.

$94M in cap without a Cousins signing.

ASJ - TE - 3 years $21M - Cap hit $7M 

Mo Claiborne - CB - 3 years $24M - Cap hit $8M 

Kony Ealy - DE - 3 years $12M - Cap hit $4M 

Demario Davis - ILB - 3 years $15M - Cap hit $5M

Chandler Catanzaro - K - 2 years $4M - Cap hit $2M

Quincy Enunwa - WR - 1st Round Tender - Cap hit $4M ($3M if 2nd round tender)

Demarcus Lawrence - EDGE - 5 years $85M - Cap hit $17M

Ryan Jensen - C - 5 years $50M - Cap hit $10M

EJ Gaines/Malcolm Butler - CB - 5 years $60M - Cap hit $12M

AJ McCarron/Blake Bortles/Teddy Bridgewater - QB - 2 years $30M - Cap hit $15M

That would put us at $84M total, you'd keep the rest for signing our draft class and in season moves. Because the QB we signed have high upside still I'd sit at our pick and take a QB.

1) Baker Mayfield/Lamar Jackson

2a) BPA at OL/PR

2b) BPA at RB

3) BPA OL/PR (eliminate whichever you took at 2a)

4-7) BPA

__________________________________________________________________________________________

If you want Cousins then I'd look to do something like this:

Cousins - QB - 6 years $168M - Cap hit $40M year 1 (heavy front load)

ASJ - TE - 3 years $21M - Cap hit $7M 

Mo Claiborne - CB - 3 years $24M - Cap hit $8M 

Kony Ealy - DE - 3 years $12M - Cap hit $4M  

Demario Davis - ILB - 3 years $15M - Cap hit $5M

Chandler Catanzaro - K - 2 years $4M - Cap hit $2M

Quincy Enunwa - WR - 1st Round Tender - Cap hit $4M ($3M if 2nd round tender)

Ryan Jensen - C - 5 years $50M - Cap hit $10M

That puts us at $80M total. Play with the numbers a little bit an maybe you find $12M to get another FA but I'd rather that $12M go to EJ Gaines or Malcolm Butler over Bell.

1) Chubb as a Pass Rusher (Would likely be our final piece to the defense) or Nelson at Guard (Would make our OL elite)

2a) BPA at CB/OL/PR - whichever provides the best value (eliminate whichever we took in round 1)

2b) BPA at RB - The RB pipeline from college is going through a rich period right now, you'll find a ton of players that can come in and contribute right away

3) BPA at Pass Rusher - haven't had one in years I'd like to double dip

4-7) BPA

18 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

You'd still be taking a QB in the 1st round. McCarron was almost traded for a 2nd and 3rd rounder so obviously teams feel there is some talent there. Teddy if he checks out medically was a good QB when healthy so I'd gamble on that. Bortles is just finishing his 4th year and the past month he's looked good. You can sign them to a Glennon type contract which allows you to get out of it if the rookie is good. You want know how I want to spend our money.

Sorry, McCarron almost getting traded for what maybe could have been a 2nd and a 3rd not a thing.

Giving Bridgewater $15 off a potential career killer, Bortles that off a month, or McCarron because he might have gotten traded once maybe is a horrendous idea. This is no different than picking up JAGs like Fitzgerald and McCown only this time you’re commiting more time and money. 

It’s seems all of those off seasons you propose are purposefully intended to make the team pay mostly subpar talent premium FA dollars (ASJ gets like a billion times raise, Ealy continues hanging on by flashing a couple games every other year) just to pinch pennies for the sake for pinching pennies. Tf is so smart about paying top dollar for DeMarcus Lawrence off his one big year? This is a good idea but a guy with multiple years of high end QB production is some question mark because the Jets might hurt his feelings in the draft? 

7 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Sorry, McCarron almost getting traded for what maybe could have been a 2nd and a 3rd not a thing.

Giving Bridgewater $15 off a potential career killer, Bortles that off a month, or McCarron because he might have gotten traded once maybe is a horrendous idea. This is no different than picking up JAGs like Fitzgerald and McCown only this time you’re commiting more time and money. 

It’s seems all of those off seasons you propose are purposefully intended to make the team pay mostly subpar talent premium FA dollars (ASJ gets like a billion times raise, Ealy continues hanging on by flashing a couple games every other year) just to pinch pennies for the sake for pinching pennies. Tf is so smart about paying top dollar for DeMarcus Lawrence off his one big year? This is a good idea but a guy with multiple years of high end QB production is some question mark because the Jets might hurt his feelings in the draft? 

What did Glennon show that makes you think he's worth more than any of those 3? I think all of them have shown equal to better starting potential than he did. I'm really on board with Cousins or 1st round rookie over those QBs but I just can't see Cousins being happy with us potentially picking a player that will never play a down while Cousins under contract unless he is taken to replace Cousins. You would be telling him we don't believe in you enough to draft a blue chip player to support you and instead are hedging our bets, I think that sends the wrong message.

It would be like luring Drew Bree's into NO and then taking Vince Young or Matt Leinart. I really don't think that's a wise move. Agree to disagree because it's obvious neither of us is budging.

59 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

What did Glennon show that makes you think he's worth more than any of those 3? I think all of them have shown equal to better starting potential than he did. I'm really on board with Cousins or 1st round rookie over those QBs but I just can't see Cousins being happy with us potentially picking a player that will never play a down while Cousins under contract unless he is taken to replace Cousins. You would be telling him we don't believe in you enough to draft a blue chip player to support you and instead are hedging our bets, I think that sends the wrong message.

It would be like luring Drew Bree's into NO and then taking Vince Young or Matt Leinart. I really don't think that's a wise move. Agree to disagree because it's obvious neither of us is budging.

Who gives a flying heck about Glennon? I’m not looking to pay Glennon or Glennon tier talent like these QBs you want to pay.

So we’re back to the earlier square of hurt feelings? Still not a thing! 

39 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Who gives a flying heck about Glennon? I’m not looking to pay Glennon or Glennon tier talent like these QBs you want to pay.

So we’re back to the earlier square of hurt feelings? Still not a thing! 

The Bears deal with Glennon was a good deal. It gave them 2 shots at a franchise QB by having them compete with minimal risk. He's easily expendable. If you sign Cousins it's because he is the guy. You don't pay $28M AND invest in a QB with a top 10 pick. It may sound silly but yes hurt feelings with your franchise QB is not the way to enter a relationship. Cousins likely sees himself as a top flight QB that has multiple years of good to great play left. Why would he come to any team that wants to hedge their bets?

It's like finally landing the girl of your dreams and then having a side piece just in case it doesn't work out, rather than using that money to purchase something that makes that new relationship stronger. Not exactly apples to apples but I'd have to imagine Kirk sees himself as THE guy and wants to put himself in a situation that will help his career grow. If you think he doesn't believe he's THE guy and is only looking for money I suppose you are correct.

39 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

The Bears deal with Glennon was a good deal. 

Between this and the plan the plan to give ASJ a $7 million dollar raise I am really starting to wonder....

It gave them 2 shots at a franchise QB by having them compete with minimal risk. He's easily expendable. 

You understand that in my scenario the Jets have a shot at two QBs and one of those guys has already been sonning defenses for 3-4 years now? That risk is more than just a money thing, they still have to do the whole football thing, which Glennon is not good at? That the Bears giving $14+ million for a guy with a handful of starts was the opposite of low risk? 

Fun fact: When the Bears cut Glennon this offseason he’ll have made at least $15 million dollars for more INTs than TDs over 140 passes. Upside potential franchise QB ceiling! Minimal risk! They will walk into the offseason with the QB position still not secured. 

Take it for what it's worth because it's no one of importance but I'm a member of a Redskins forum as well and there are a ton of posts like this one

On the radio this morning Chris Cooley mentioned that there are three people in the front office who aren't sold on re-signing Kirk Cousins. He wouldn't elaborate but if I had to guess, those three are Bruce Allen, Dan Snyder, and Ruce Ballen. 

Kevin Sheehan then pointed back to that dastardly July 17th statement in which Bruce Allen painted "Kurt" as a greedy SOB who was unwilling to compromise for the betterment of the team. 

Now back track to the multiple reports from Jerry Brewer, Mike Jones, and Chris Russell (who were all 100% correct about the Scot Mcloughan fiasco) about how Dan and Bruce are still sore over the failed Robert Griffin the Turd experiment and here we are.  

I honestly don't know which is worse, the Browns front office or the Redskins front office. 

The Browns had a chance to draft Carson Wentz or Deshaun Watson but passed on both, meanwhile the Redskins ACTUALLY HAVE a legit and good franchise QB but front office management doesn't want him because of feelings. 

As odd as it may sound I think hurt feelings play a a big roll in Cousins exit. I don't like the idea of pulling a fast one on him in the draft.

3 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Take it for what it's worth because it's no one of importance but I'm a member of a Redskins forum as well and there are a ton of posts like this one

As odd as it may sound I think hurt feelings play a a big roll in Cousins exit. I don't like the idea of pulling a fast one on him in the draft.

There’s no fast ones if he signs a contract that he can read. 

5 hours ago, SenorGato said:

There’s no fast ones if he signs a contract that he can read. 

Even if that isn't in the contract you'd still think there would be a mutual agreement that he is signing with you because you've explained how you are going to use your assets. I'd have to imagine the Jets, Broncos, Browns, and Cardinals would all be explaining the route they expect to go moving forward. I think he'll be in such a high demand that teams won't think twice about writing into the contract "We will not select a QB in round 1 this year" considering they are likely signing him to start for the next 5-6 years. 

Even if that isn't in the contract you'd still think there would be a mutual agreement that he is signing with you because you've explained how you are going to use your assets. I'd have to imagine the Jets, Broncos, Browns, and Cardinals would all be explaining the route they expect to go moving forward. I think he'll be in such a high demand that teams won't think twice about writing into the contract "We will not select a QB in round 1 this year" considering they are likely signing him to start for the next 5-6 years. 

There is! That is what the contract is! He takes alot of money to play QB for them.  

The rest of that post is stuff that isn’t happening.  He’ll get his share of 5-6 offers year offers but no one is actually giving that outright without any outs by year 3. 

For shiggles...

FA:

Kirk Cousins - 30

Ryan Jensen C - 11

Trey Burton TE - 7

Sammy Watkins WR - 9

Kyle Fuller CB - 8

Resign: 

The Kicker

Enunwa

Draft:

Trade with Bengals for 2019 1st and 2nd, 2018 picks 12, 46, and 77

1: Marcus Davenport DE/OLB - Provided he goes DeMarcus Ware on the pre-draft

2: Tyrell Crosby OT

2: Will Hernandez/Billy Wynn OL 

2: Sony Michel RB

3: Adonis Alexander CB 

3: Jaylen Samuels TE

5: Rashaad Penny RB

6: Kyle Lauletta QB 

Some money left over to pickup another OL, LB depth, and/or CB depth. 

Archived