AFL, AAF and other football

The Crimson King

Anyone follow indoor football?

There is a new team in Albany in the AFL but it is only a 4 team league. 

I got tix to an Empire game in May to check this out while I can but am a little confused by the rules. They play with 8 players but I am unsure of how many linemen (who play both ways) and what formation they use. I know that all sorts of motion is allowed and kicks off the net behind the goal posts are in play. Can't seem to find much googling and there seems to not be an EmpireNation.com. 

If nothing else, it will make a nice evening at the Times Union Center (my favorite minor league arena). Based on what is available on Ticketmaster, sales have been pretty good for the inaugural season. 

Last year, AFL attendance was 5-12,000 per game which does not forebode well for arena football. There are other leagues, including one in China but none of these seem to be thriving. The sport has been around for decades. Wasn't it successful in small markets at one time?

There will be a new 11 man outdoor league that will start the week after the Super Bowl in 2019. Looks like they have a CBS contract. Seems a bit ambitious considering they haven't even chosen any cities yet although the claim that there will be 8 teams that play in warmer weather states, so NY-NJ Knights or anything of that sort is out. You'd figure that there would be little or no NFL players from 2018 other than pre season cuts and practice squad players (if they can even sign that early as the NFL season officially doesn't end until March, right?) so the quality would be pretty bad for pro. At least you might finally get to see Hackenberg play. Might be something to work into the annual spring training trip to FL. 

I think I would follow the AFL more if there were a team anywhere near me; none of the active cities right now is even close. I would think arena football would do better in smaller markets with dedicated fanbases--maybe around 50k-200k city populations. The profits wouldn't be as big, but the teams would probably be able to stick around longer. A smaller city near me has a Federal Hockey League team. They have a pretty good following and the games are a blast. 

All of that said, the team I would fully endorse and follow is one from the LFL. It's an utter travesty that New York doesn't have a team in that league anymore. 

San_Diego_Seduction_huddle.jpg

7 minutes ago, Bombdirt said:

I think I would follow the AFL more if there were a team anywhere near me; none of the active cities right now is even close. I would think arena football would do better in smaller markets with dedicated fanbases--maybe around 50k-200k city populations. The profits wouldn't be as big, but the teams would probably be able to stick around longer. A smaller city near me has a Federal Hockey League team. They have a pretty good following and the games are a blast. 

All of that said, the team I would fully endorse and follow is one from the LFL. It's an utter travesty that New York doesn't have a team in that league anymore. 

San_Diego_Seduction_huddle.jpg

The only league where you'd actually want to see butt fumbles?

2 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

The only league where you'd actually want to see butt fumbles?

LOL of course. The games are actually fun to watch and usually competitive. You almost forget the T&A aspect of it. Almost. 

Some of these ladies could easily flatten a few Jets players; that's for damn sure. 

Ljz2zMN.gif

Archived