One Quarterback for One Game

Sonny Werblin

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Your team is playing against an evenly matched opponent and you can choose one Quarterback from one point in time to QB your team for the game. This is not based on career accomplishments. Rather, you have the player at the height of his game. And please choose someone that you actually saw play. Don't base it on stats alone.

My selection would be 1976 Bert Jones. The guy had a fire in him that one rarely sees in a QB. He was not one for quiet leadership. He was the unquestioned leader of his team. One might think that a QB who yelled at teammates on the field would be disliked, but Jones put his body on the line to make plays. Absorbing hits to make throws and running into LBs to gain the extra yard for first down. It was as you put Jack Lambert's mentality inside a QB. He led the Colts to an 11-3 record in 1976. With Jones the Colts were a playoff team; without him they were one of the worst teams in the league (as was proven after he was injured in 1978).

Making matters worse for his opponents, Jones was not only fiery and hard-nosed, but he was a great passer as well. In an era where throwing the ball was difficult, in 1976  (14 game season) Jones had 3,104 yards, 24 touchdowns against only 9 interceptions, and he completed 60.3%.   His passer rating of 102.5 represents one of only three occasions where a quarterback posted a 100+ passer rating during the entire decade of the 1970s. Fittingly, he was named NFL MVP. 

Perhaps those who never saw him play think selecting Bert Jones at the height of his game is silly with so many other great QB's in the game. But, I am not alone in my lofty opinions of Bert Jones.  https://nesn.com/2016/11/if-bill-belichick-could-choose-one-quarterback-to-lead-his-team-he-would-pick/

Loved Bert Jones but if I had to Choose 1 QB in one game it would be Joe Montana and IMHO its not even close. Joe didn't have to lead many last minute drives because he usually just beat you down for the entire game especially in the SB . Even saying that Joe still had some of the greatest comebacks and clutch drives in history.

Brady is about as close as it gets to Montana and if people disagree with that they will get no argument from me because he could easily be the top choice.

Honorable mentions Terry Bradshaw one of the best big game QB's ever even though his stats were not so good in the regular season and also John Elway another big game QB with not so great stats

Archived