Hooray for Joey Porter!

Green Jets & Ham

SOMEBODY had to put a stop to this home-town calls and favoritism nonsense, so I applaud Joey Porter for taking the financial hit {oh he'll be fined}, but telling it like it is ... and he pulled no punches!

=========

NY TIMES

By Judy Battista

It might have been the play that effectively ended the Colts' season. Instead, it's the one that ignited Joey Porter's furor. Pittsburgh safety Troy Polamalu's interception-that-wasn't of Peyton Manning in the fourth quarter gave the Colts a breath of life in a drive that ended with a touchdown and a 2-point conversion that pulled them to 3 points behind with 4 minutes 24 seconds remaining in the game.

And it convinced Porter that the officials were cheating.

"I know they wanted Indy to win this game," Porter said. "The whole world loves Peyton Manning, but come on man, don't take the game away from us.

"I felt they were cheating us. When the interception happened, everybody in the world knew that was an interception. Don't cheat us that bad. When they did that, they really want Peyton Manning and these guys to win the Super Bowl. They are just going to straight take it for them. I felt that they were like 'We don't even care if you know we're cheating. We're cheating for them.' "

The National Football League office is unlikely to be amused by Porter's comments, but the call was an odd one. It appeared that Polamalu had intercepted the ball at midfield and fell down. As he got up and began to run, Polamalu knocked the ball out of his hands with his knee. On the field, the officials ruled the play was an interception, a fumble and a recovery - all by Polamalu. But the Colts challenged the call, and replays seemed to be too inconclusive to overrule the call.

But the referee did overturn it, ruling it an incomplete pass. The Colts' Edgerrin James scored four plays later.

There was also the non-offside call against the Colts on a Steelers fourth-and-1 early in the fourth quarter. Even though it appeared that Indianapolis's defensive line moved, the Colts indicated by pointing at Pittsburgh's line that the Colts had been drawn offside. But the officials ruled there was no Pittsburgh movement.

"They said that we didn't move on offense, but they didn't touch anybody on defense, but we had three guys in our backfield and they stopped the play with no call," Steelers Coach Bill Cowher said.

Porter is 100% correct ... the refs tried to flatout steal that game for the Colts

Three of the worse home-town calls I have ever seen all occured in that game

1. Randle EL was flatout mugged in the endzone on a deep ball ... I mean, TACKLED before the ball arrived ... LITERALLY TACKLED ... with the endzone official standing right there and staring dead at the play ... and he never threw a flag on what was the most blatant case of PI imaginable

2. The Polomalu INT followed by that most pathetic reversal since the inception of instant replay ... the ref should have made the reversal while wearing a mask and carrying a gun ... even Shannon Sharpe said that official must have been Archie Manning

3. The entire Colts defensive line jumped off-sides ... THEY WERE IN THE STEELERS BACKFIELD ... to the point wear the officials had to blow the play dead ... and still they said the Colts were not off-sides

BY FAR the most egregious case of home-town calls and favoritism I have ever seen, and I've seen plenty

3. The entire Colts defensive line jumped off-sides ... THEY WERE IN THE STEELERS BACKFIELD ... to the point wear the officials had to blow the play dead ... and still they said the Colts were not off-sides

I agree with everything but this. Alan Faneca moved and pulled Indy off sides. I hit the <<< button and checked it out. He moved first.

I agree with everything but this. Alan Faneca moved and pulled Indy off sides. I hit the <<< button and checked it out. He moved first.

TRUE, but they didn't call the Steelers for moving ... so that means it has to be off-sides on the defense

There's no gray area, smiz, and the officals cannot create a do-over ... either they call the Steelers for movement, which they didn't, or they have to call the Colts for O.S.

So once they blew that play dead and DID NOT call Faneca for movement, BY RULE they had to call O.S. on Indy

If the Steelers lost that game, an investigation should have been launched. As it is, some of the refs need to be called on the carpet for their incompetence.

I have previously thought that occasionally meetings occur during the week where some league honcho reminds the officiating crew how important home field advantage is (wink wink) or something along those lines.

This week the refs were on a crusade to have the Pats eliminated and open the way for the Colts to move on. At least that's the way it looked.

Letd be fair here...Alan Faneca moved on that play

Letd be fair here...Alan Faneca moved on that play

Faneca did move. But since the officials didn't call it, I'd be inclined to believe that they didn't see it somehow. But they definitely saw Indy's players in Pitt's backfield & (unless there are offsetting penalties on the play) as Ham stated, you can't call a do-over.

Archived