Antonio Davis

Smizzy

I do not think that players should ever enter the fans area, and the same with fans. Keep away from the field of play. This applies to all sports.

That said though, what if a guy sees his folks having a heart attack in the middle of a game? You telling me the player can't run into the stands to possibly say goodbye to them for the last time?

Same rule applies to family matters. Players have a right to protect their families. Davis has a sterling reputation, and is a lage contributor to many charity endeavors. I believe that if he felt his intervention was needed, he was in the right. Especially when I read that the Knicks Security guy, who is usually on the bench, was in the dressing room with Mo Taylor, who was ejected just minutes earlier. Antonio had no one else to turn to for assistance.

And don't give me that business about calling security. Security at professional arenas is a joke. They are never around, and when you really need them, and they finally come, it is usually some time after they are called. No matter if you sit in the expensive seats, or the bleachers. I will admit that at Yankee Stadium, security is hovering near the bleacher section in RF, but that is usually only in the late innings.

Bottom line. I believe players should never cross the line, and Antonio did. But there are mitigating circumstances, and this incident is one of them. Antonio should get hit with a fine, but a suspension is uncalled for.

If you see someone looking like they are harassing your wife you have to get up and do something about it IMO- the suspension is too much for this infraction-family consideration should have come into play and some logic

Archived