Why did Holder get the win and not Green?

Maxman

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/padres-vs-yankees/2019/05/29/567486#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=box,game=567486

What am I missing? The starter Paxton went 4 innings. He isn't eligible for the Win. 

Green pitched the 5th. The Yankees were winning. The Yankees never surrendered the lead. Why didn't Green get the win?

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/padres-vs-yankees/2019/05/29/567486#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=box,game=567486

What am I missing? The starter Paxton went 4 innings. He isn't eligible for the Win. 

Green pitched the 5th. The Yankees were winning. The Yankees never surrendered the lead. Why didn't Green get the win?

Double, sorry

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

If the starter does not go 5, then it is an "official scorer's judgement" who gets the W

Thank You!

Just so weird because with a big lead I thought they would go with the guy that pitched the 5th and call it a day. I guess the scorer said none of you guys did all that much. So we will give it to the guy that pitched two innings.

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Thank You!

Just so weird because with a big lead I thought they would go with the guy that pitched the 5th and call it a day. I guess the scorer said none of you guys did all that much. So we will give it to the guy that pitched two innings.

It is a wildly inconsistent rule. I have seen pitchers  leave after 4 innings, say with a 4 run lead, and the next pitcher comes in pitches 2 innings, gives up 3 runs and get awarded the win. 

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

It is a wildly inconsistent rule. I have seen pitchers  leave after 4 innings, say with a 4 run lead, and the next pitcher comes in pitches 2 innings, gives up 3 runs and get awarded the win. 

It is going to happen more and more now that we are in the era of "openers".

• Upvote 1