Draft guys: Is corner the toughest position to evaluate?

Matt39

Maybe I'm completely off. It just seems the past several years or so picking a CB seems like complete luck. So many have gone through the 1st round and haven't done much. Personally I wouldn't use a first rounder on a corner. It's such hit or miss, mostly miss.

I was actually thinking about this the other day, because I had a real hard time ranking the top junior CB's coming back to college football next season.

Here's my opinon: Cornerback is postion based almost purely on 40 speed and athletic ability.....Either you have these talents, or you don't!

Very few do "have it", but the ones that do, generally don't stay in college for 4 or 5 seasons (redshirt), they almost always jump to the NFL as soon as they are eligible for the draft. Many times they jump before they have enough experience at the college level and aren't even close to ready.

But what can NFL teams do?

It's like the NBA, if a talented teen jumps early and has the ability and talent, what do you do? If he's 6' 2", runs a 4.35 40 and has potential, you must grab him, or someone else will.

I think it's a hard postion to evaluate in "advance" because so many, as I stated, have short college careers, but once the Combine is done and Pro Days, the picture becomes much more clear.

QB, DE, OT and safety are very hard to project, too.

i think QB is probably the toughest position to evaluate. ryan leaf vs. peyton manning. rick mirer vs. drew bledsoe. brady a 6th rd pick. browning nagle. o'brien before marino. klingler, akili smith, cade mcnown, tim couch.

I agree with this to a great extent.

Brady, lower pick. Montana- I forgot,what round did he go in?

O'Brien, Blackledge, Marino, Elway...it was a crapshoot that year.

Leaf, Pennington, Alex Smith, Losman, Ben, Nagle, Crouch, so many up and down careers...there are too many inconsistent success/failure stories to say that predicting QB success in the NFL is easy.

That said, my sleeper CB pick this year to have a solid pro career is Kelly Jennings from the U.

Archived