The exact moment Woody lost control of the franchise

Scott Dierking

So, if we are to understand this correctly, Bradway approached Cross at least once last year, during the season and intimated that the GM position may be too much for him and that he might want to take a back seat?

Huh?

How can anyone who is in a position of leadership, and for a football team, arguably the most important position on the team have doubts about his abilities and be retained? Who allows that.

The moment that happened, Jets should have gotten rid of Bradway (or pushed him aside) and began the GM search THEN. You can't allow someone to be half on board with you. I think it was Parcells that said "Once you think about retiring, you might as well because you are already retired."

If the Jets have a head start on the GM search (sometime during last season), this off-season has a whole different chance to play out. It is inexcusable.

Maybe the Jets will get lucky and the have the right men in place. I sure hope so and will root that way. But, the team should have at least been given a better chance once they found out that their head guy was having second thoughts about what he wanted to do with his career.

So, if we are to understand this correctly, Bradway approached Cross at least once last year, during the season and intimated that the GM position may be too much for him and that he might want to take a back seat?

Huh?

How can anyone who is in a position of leadership, and for a football team, arguably the most important position on the team have doubts about his abilities and be retained? Who allows that.

The moment that happened, Jets should have gotten rid of Bradway (or pushed him aside) and began the GM search THEN. You can't allow someone to be half on board with you. I think it was Parcells that said "Once you think about retiring, you might as well because you are already retired."

If the Jets have a head start on the GM search (sometime during last season), this off-season has a whole different chance to play out. It is inexcusable.

Maybe the Jets will get lucky and the have the right men in place. I sure hope so and will root that way. But, the team should have at least been given a better chance once they found out that their head guy was having second thoughts about what he wanted to do with his career.

\

Youwon't find a GM in the middle of the season. If nothing else Woody would or should have made Tannenbaum the interim GM and then he would likely have been announced as the permanent GM now anyway. It made no difference.

Booze-You can't say that.

You could have contacted a Tom Heckert, a Tom Modrack and fielded their interest.

You allowed a presumably lame duck GM to control moves for this organization and broker a deal for your Head Coach where you were robbed in compensation. He was immediately involved in naming a new HC and assistants.

It is backward thinking at best, even if you had Tannenbaum as back-up all along.

The organization owed itself more than that.

You could have contacted a Tom Heckert, a Tom Modrack and fielded their interest.

You allowed a presumably lame duck GM to control moves for this organization and broker a deal for your Head Coach where you were robbed in compensation. He was immediately involved in naming a new HC and assistants.

It is backward thinking at best, even if you had Tannenbaum as back-up all along.

Sure they could have, but they wouldn't get those guys temporarily. They would have been forced to stick with those guys after the offseason. It is much more prudent, if you are going to let your GM go mid-season, to name an interim guy and then see how many more candidates are available afterwards. We could have cobntacted heckert and Modrack yesterday as well, but chose not to.

Sure they could have, but they wouldn't get those guys temporarily. They would have been forced to stick with those guys after the offseason. It is much more prudent, if you are going to let your GM go mid-season, to name an interim guy and then see how many more candidates are available afterwards. We could have cobntacted heckert and Modrack yesterday as well, but chose not to.

You would have the benefit of contacting at least Heckert immediately, in teh middle of last season. At teh end of teh season, teh Eagles eleveated him, and it was too late.

Here is thesimple fact-Fire your GM in mid-season-You have options available to you to fill teh position.

Fire him in February, after you name a new coach, you have severely limited your options.

Scott I agree with you this whole process has been a$$ backwards. I think the moment this process went wrong was when Terry wanted to live in Atlantic City and only spent 3 days in his office.

That is a fair enough point in and of itself. That should have set off bells and whistles.

What first time GM (or first time anything) gets teh benefit of working at home half the time?

Woody is looking less like a business man every day. That pains me to say that.

Could the Jets have contacted Heckert, Modrak, Savage or someone similar in ability?

Are there league rules against that? Wouldn't the Jets have had to obtain permission before speaking with them? I know this applies to coaches, but admin or front office personnel is another story. I just don't know.

I do know that Gruden liked Tannenbaum and interviewed him for the vacant GM spot in tampa, but settled on Bruce Allen.

I remember reading in an article that Tannenbaum was not only a rising star in the NFL, he was also to be Tampa's GM when Parcells was close to becoming their coach(2002). Tannenbaum was highly thought of then, and remains so now.

I disagree with the notion that the Jets should have reached out during last season for a GM. Even if they were allowed to do so, what would be the likelihood that someone would step into our mess?

If I were in that position, I'd prefer to wait and let the dust settle, before getting myself into something that could be overwhelming.

I truly believe that Woody wanted Tannenbaum to replace Bradway and when the Herm fiasco went down, it was official. Tannenbaum was also in Woody's ear, suggesting Mangini as Herm's replacement.

Huh?

yup.

my guess is that this was the start of tannebaum emerging. woody might have finally asked the same questions u just did and said WTF?

If Tannenbaum were the GM at the time of the Edwards fiasco, it's a pretty safe bet that the Jets would have had the nuts to file tampering charges. Bradway was more concerned with not burning bridges than he was with doing everything in his power to help the Jets.

Tannenbaum as general manager does not bother me at all. He has been groomed for this for a long time and he already knows the cap inside and out. I just wished this would have happened sooner.

If Tannenbaum were the GM at the time of the Edwards fiasco, it's a pretty safe bet that the Jets would have had the nuts to file tampering charges. Bradway was more concerned with not burning bridges than he was with doing everything in his power to help the Jets.

Tannenbaum as general manager does not bother me at all. He has been groomed for this for a long time and he already knows the cap inside and out. I just wished this would have happened sooner.

agreed, woody finally figured it out.

with the hiring of the Pro personell guy from baltimore it makes the tanny hiriung make all the more sense

Archived