MLB removes marijuana from 'drugs of abuse'

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-baseball-mlb-idUSKBN1YG24C

DECEMBER 12, 2019 / 12:01 PM / UPDATED 8 HOURS AGO

MLB removes marijuana from 'drugs of abuse', to test major league players for opioids

•  
  •  

FILE PHOTO: Chemdawg marijuana plants grow at a facility in Smiths Falls, Ontario, Canada October 29, 2019. REUTERS/Blair Gable/File Photo

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Major League Baseball (MLB) will remove marijuana from its list of banned substances and players who test positive for opioids, fentanyl, cocaine and synthetic THC under random drug tests will be referred for treatment before being disciplined, the league’s updated drug policy announced on Thursday.

The sweeping changes, which take effect from Spring Training in 2020, “favor a treatment-based approach to Drugs of Abuse”, according to the joint announcement from the MLB and its players’ union.

The updated policy comes months after the shock death of 27-year-old Los Angeles Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs, whose autopsy showed oxycodone, fentanyl and alcohol in his system.

ADVERTISEMENT

Major League players were not randomly tested for drugs of abuse including opioids unless there was reasonable cause under the previous policy.

Commissioner Rob Manfred told reporters on Wednesday, prior to releasing the new policy, that Skaggs’ death was “was a motivating factor” in “addressing in the context of our industry what is really a societal problem in terms of opioids.”

Opioid misuse has grown to a “crisis” in the United States, according to the National Institutes of Health, with roughly 1.2 million people over the age of 12 estimated to have an opioid use disorder.

ADVERTISEMENT

Kellyanne Conway, a senior counselor to U.S. President Donald Trump, praised the updated policy in a written statement.

“We commend Major League Baseball and the MLB Players Association for promoting treatment and recovery for those suffering from the disease of addiction and opioid misuse,” Conway said.

“We appreciate the example that a trusted and beloved American institution is setting for others.”

Reporting by Amy Tennery; Editing by Toby Davis and Christian Radnedge

REUTERS NEWS NOW

Subscribe to our daily curated newsletter to receive the latest exclusive Reuters coverage delivered to your inbox.

Submit

MORE FROM REUTERS

1_th.jpg?mode=crop&width=372&height=209&fit=bounds&crop=372:209,smart

Video Ad by dianomi-max-200x38.png

×Mute_Icon.svg

• Upvote 1

Loooooong overdue for everything. WADA and USADA started laying off with fighters about this a little over a year ago and everything gets formalized soon. Once they lightened up on marijuana use you knew the rest of the sports world wouldn't be far behind. Keep in mind it wasn't too long ago they wrecked Nick Diaz's career for testing positive, now they let Nate promote CBD flower during promos. Unreal.

The whole thing has been so preposterous. It's not a performance enhancer and it's fully legal in almost 1/4 of the country now. There are only 10 states left that don't have medical. Enough with this bullsh*t already.

• Upvote 1

Good. I dont smoke, and have no interest in smoking anything. but I hear it's really good for PTSD, anxiety etc. and is way better than pharma poison or booze. After 26 combined years of being a Paramedic, Firefighting and Soldiering, God knows I could use something other than drink to chill. Would try edibles for sure. 

51 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Good. I dont smoke, and have no interest in smoking anything. but I hear it's really good for PTSD, anxiety etc. and is way better than pharma poison or booze. After 26 combined years of being a Paramedic, Firefighting and Soldiering, God knows I could use something other than drink to chill. Would try edibles for sure. 

It's a good era to start in on edibles. I'm not sure how Florida regulates them but in Cali they are hella strict with making sure the consumer knows the dosages. I would imagine with the retiree population they'll do the same, regulations or not. Wasn't too long ago you would buy a pack of cookies or a chocolate bar and you'd go way off into the dark side quickly if you weren't careful. Now they parcel everything out so you can dose yourself to what you want, i.e. chocolate bars being squared off by 5 mg squares.

That said I don't think that people who haven't smoked in a long time realize what pure flower is now. It's pretty amazing. Nothing like you remember if you haven't smoked in the last 10 years.

• Upvote 1