Free Agency Could Be Pushed Back to ...

Smizzy

why would they do that..now we'll have to wait longer...sheesh
I would assume it is to allow more time for a new CBA to be agreed. Without it, teams would have less years over which to spread cap hits, so it may affect how much Free Agents would get paid. Plus a new CBA would probably raise the salary cap by a significant amount.

I would assume it is to allow more time for a new CBA to be agreed. Without it, teams would have less years over which to spread cap hits, so it may affect how much Free Agents would get paid. Plus a new CBA would probably raise the salary cap by a significant amount.

You're correct.

I heard someone today say that there was a possibility of no cap next year. Is that possible? How would it work if so?

Yeah it's possible. It's in the previous agreement I guess.

I guess it would work in the same way baseball works...the team with the most money would get the best free agents.

Yeah it's possible. It's in the previous agreement I guess.

I guess it would work in the same way baseball works...the team with the most money would get the best free agents.

Wow that would be strange. I guess New York, Chicago and Dallas could get just about any FA then? Would they have to worry about next years cap, or future cap issues if they did that?

Wow that would be strange. I guess New York, Chicago and Dallas could get just about any FA then? Would they have to worry about next years cap, or future cap issues if they did that?

A lot of people have said that if they don't get a deal done and 07 goes uncapped then they fear that there would never be a cap again in the NFL.

Hey SP, maybe we could pick up Roethlisberger in 08 or 09 then.;)

If 2007 is un-capped, it is doubtful we'll see another capped year for a long time, if ever.

A lot of people have said that if they don't get a deal done and 07 goes uncapped then they fear that there would never be a cap again in the NFL.

Hey SP, maybe we could pick up Roethlisberger in 08 or 09 then.;)

I'll shoot him before anybody else gets a chance to take him if thats the case. LOL

NFL | May be no need to push free agency back

Wed, 15 Feb 2006 19:17:36 -0800

Mark Maske, of the Washington Post, reports, as noted previously, the start of NFL free agency could be pushed back from March 3 to April 1 if there is sufficient progress in labor negotiations to warrant such a delay, according to sources around the league. The problem is there has been no progress in labor talks. One participant in the labor negotiations said Tuesday, Feb. 14, that there's no need at this point to contemplate pushing back free agency because there's no sign yet that a few extra weeks would produce a deal

Archived