NFL Thoughts in a Covid-19 World

Covid-19-THUMB

Covid-19 has impacted so many people, our thoughts and prayers go out to all those who have lost a loved one due to this pandemic.

This week GreenBean looks at how the NFL is being impacted by Covid-19. What happens if a player tests positive for the virus? Will fans feel comfortable going to game in person? Will that even be an option? Masks required?

The new normal could be very different. Check out the short video and let us know what you think in our forums.

The post NFL Thoughts in a Covid-19 World appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
Udq-moYPztU

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, JetNation said:

Covid-19-THUMB

Covid-19 has impacted so many people, our thoughts and prayers go out to all those who have lost a loved one due to this pandemic.

This week GreenBean looks at how the NFL is being impacted by Covid-19. What happens if a player tests positive for the virus? Will fans feel comfortable going to game in person? Will that even be an option? Masks required?

The new normal could be very different. Check out the short video and let us know what you think in our forums.

The post NFL Thoughts in a Covid-19 World appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

Udq-moYPztU

Click here to read the full story...

This was a tough one to make in all honesty. Refraining from throwing my random emotionally charged opinions of the day out there proved difficult. The subject was important, but I'm not so sure how I feel. 

I sincerely wish all of my JetNation brethren well through this difficult time. 

• Upvote 3

Hey Greenbean. Thanks for the thoughtful video. Its been a few hours since the posting and no comments yet. Wow. It reminds me about one of my favorite quotes:

After leaving international politics Henry Kissinger was asked which was more cutthroat, international politics or university politics. His answer was BY FAR university politics. Why? Because the stakes are so low.

I’m guessing that the hesitation to comment on fandom vs covid comes because the stakes are not low. They can be life or death (worse than a winless season and, yes, worse than just enough wins to move out of the top picks in the draft).

I’ll share my honest opinion: I don’t know. Unlike SAR I, I have neither a BMW nor season tickets. Nonetheless, I have a long tradition of taking family to at least one game per season. This grew from father/son to father/son/sons wife/granddaughter/sons mother-in-law. It is something we always enjoyed win or lose. So what about 2020?

I just don’t know. Maybe by September when we are as far past the shutdown as we are currently into it, we’ll go. That is, in fact my best guess. There will be data by that time on other crowded gatherings and perhaps frar will subside.

I would say we should watch what happens to (presumably resumed) baseball. If those crowds return, so will ours.

One thought on empty stadiums. In my opinion sports performance is tied to emotion. Playing in silence saps the emotion. Perhaps the loudest bench wil be the new 12th man. Sorry to the Jamal haters, but he could be a real asset to this year’s offense.

I will say that the numbers on covid mortality and ability to spread are moving down from prior estimates. Perhaps by fall, there will be less fear since it won’t be such an unknown. But who can say for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, greengeek said:

Hey Greenbean. Thanks for the thoughtful video. Its been a few hours since the posting and no comments yet. Wow. It reminds me about one of my favorite quotes:

After leaving international politics Henry Kissinger was asked which was more cutthroat, international politics or university politics. His answer was BY FAR university politics. Why? Because the stakes are so low.

I’m guessing that the hesitation to comment on fandom vs covid comes because the stakes are not low. They can be life or death (worse than a winless season and, yes, worse than just enough wins to move out of the top picks in the draft).

I’ll share my honest opinion: I don’t know. Unlike SAR I, I have neither a BMW nor season tickets. Nonetheless, I have a long tradition of taking family to at least one game per season. This grew from father/son to father/son/sons wife/granddaughter/sons mother-in-law. It is something we always enjoyed win or lose. So what about 2020?

I just don’t know. Maybe by September when we are as far past the shutdown as we are currently into it, we’ll go. That is, in fact my best guess. There will be data by that time on other crowded gatherings and perhaps frar will subside.

I would say we should watch what happens to (presumably resumed) baseball. If those crowds return, so will ours.

One thought on empty stadiums. In my opinion sports performance is tied to emotion. Playing in silence saps the emotion. Perhaps the loudest bench wil be the new 12th man. Sorry to the Jamal haters, but he could be a real asset to this year’s offense.

I will say that the numbers on covid mortality and ability to spread are moving down from prior estimates. Perhaps by fall, there will be less fear since it won’t be such an unknown. But who can say for sure.

haha that's an interesting take on Jamal. I like it. 

yeah man. We're getting a bit more conversation on YouTube, but I don't know how much people are gonna want to Say about this one. It's ok. We just wanted to Get something out there in the event people wanted to try to have more of constructive chat with the NFL piece at the forefront as much as possible.  It's hard though. This topic has become pretty polarizing unfortunately. 

It's weird. My buddy is a Passaic cop and a Jets fan and he has the virus. Just ended his quarantine and he's ok. My sister and brother in law work on the front lines of this thing in NYC and it's been very hard. But here in the countryside of VA very few if any are taking it seriously. There is a greater contingent of defiance than there is caution.  It's just one of those things. People have strong feelings and I don't know what to think about anyone's response. 

Our attempt to keep it to the NFL experience has only the purest of intentions, but if it doesn't land as we thought it might that's alright.  The next vid is "the Case for Gase".  Let's see if people remain as quiet about that crap hahaha 

Thanks for the comment and your thoughts. I have similar feelings as you do and think there will be a lot more data compiled by the time NFL teams have to take the field. That will be helpful as fas as our little football bubble is concerned and that's a positive I'd say. 

Good stuff man. Thanks again. 

Practically, this virus is really different, depending on where you live. The probabilities are everything.   If you lived outside of a major city and was not in close contact with strangers on a regular basis, this virus is not worth sacrificing your livelihood or your lifestyle.  The people protesting are not all inconsiderate or stupid.  They just don’t see if affecting them that much.

For those who are less healthy and/or who live in close contact with people, generally in cities, the virus has much more present effects.  Those people lobby their politicians to stay shutdown.   Despite the horrific number of deaths in the US, per capita we are at half of the deaths of Europe.  I believe we gradually get to the same place as Europe-it will just take longer because we are so spread out. 

But for the NFL, I believe there are two challenges.  First, we have to get the teams practicing and playing safely.   That will basically require testing at least every other day of everyone involved and voluntary self-isolation when not playing by many.   There are some coaches who really should consider staying home or working remotely.  

For fans, I think they should start at a lower capacity, let’s say 25%, with temperature and symptom checks.  Perhaps you need to show a negative test no older than a week old or positive antibody test to enter.  Maybe we let anyone with a positive test enter (I know the test is not perfect).  Maybe we restrict people over 60.  But I would focus on getting the teams playing well, prepared and safely.  That is a start.

32 bubbles at campuses not being used for all NFL teams. Old school training camps....example: Cortland, NY for the Jets.

Games played without fans.

Testing every day for every players, coaches, and staffer.

Living in a bubble for the TV money.

Every player wears uniforms designed to prevent possible spread of COVID-19 during every practice and game.

Enough FULL-BODY disinfecting booths installed at stadiums to constantly spray players coming on and off the field. Perhaps a giant disinfecting tunnel for players running out onto the field. 

The finest cannabis shops at every teams bubble. 

Super Bowl ratings for every game.

haha that's an interesting take on Jamal. I like it. 
yeah man. We're getting a bit more conversation on YouTube, but I don't know how much people are gonna want to Say about this one. It's ok. We just wanted to Get something out there in the event people wanted to try to have more of constructive chat with the NFL piece at the forefront as much as possible.  It's hard though. This topic has become pretty polarizing unfortunately. 
It's weird. My buddy is a Passaic cop and a Jets fan and he has the virus. Just ended his quarantine and he's ok. My sister and brother in law work on the front lines of this thing in NYC and it's been very hard. But here in the countryside of VA very few if any are taking it seriously. There is a greater contingent of defiance than there is caution.  It's just one of those things. People have strong feelings and I don't know what to think about anyone's response. 
Our attempt to keep it to the NFL experience has only the purest of intentions, but if it doesn't land as we thought it might that's alright.  The next vid is "the Case for Gase".  Let's see if people remain as quiet about that crap hahaha 
Thanks for the comment and your thoughts. I have similar feelings as you do and think there will be a lot more data compiled by the time NFL teams have to take the field. That will be helpful as fas as our little football bubble is concerned and that's a positive I'd say. 
Good stuff man. Thanks again. 

Even though I live in a somewhat countrified area as well (North Fork of Long Island) I also know five people who contracted the virus and all got better (including the couple in their 90’s). I work in academia and so I’m able to work from home and government paychecks keep coming. My son’s place of business declared themselves essential (assuming hospitals will turn to pool shock when they run out of disinfectant...bogus).

Initially I was very worried, but my son set up barriers, curb side service and no one there got sick. My son had to kick out a few idiots who passed the barriers (my son is 6’4” 325 and played center and defense end in school). In retrospect, he is fine with a continuing income. My best friend is, on the other hand, out of work. Between these two stories, I now think my son is in better shape (even though I thought the reverse a month ago).

Because the scientific case is still developing, we’re all mostly influenced by our personal experience. Mine was low mortality rate, a son who didn’t catch it working retail with overtime, and a friend who suffered because of the shutdown. So my guess is that the data will show under 1% mortality and I will probably take my family to a game (tickets might be cheap!).

• Upvote 1